Summer in the CPW- September Part 2

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
After our failed attempt to tackle the snowstorm of early September, we wilderness rangers of the Cloud Peak headed north again, hoping another week of seventy degree temperatures would have melted off all the snow.

The first day of this project tour included a trip to Stull and Coney Lakes to place some signs reminding people not to camp too close to the lakes and to not have fires against regs. I'd never been to this trail and its not high on my list of trails to return to. Very boring walk in the woods except at the lakes.

Coney Lake
Sept pt2-1.jpg

The next day we bumped over to the Adelaide Creek/Old Mail Trail area to post a trail junction sign. Despite the snow, the aspens held on for some nice colors.

Sept pt2-3.jpg Sept pt2-5.jpg Sept pt2-7.jpg Sept pt2-8.jpg Sept pt2-9.jpg

The primary reason to go north was to get the final water sample of the season at Emerald Lake. Hiking from the south was a bit nicer than the way I went last time I was in the area.

Sept pt2-11.jpg Sept pt2-12.jpg Sept pt2-13.jpg Sept pt2-15.jpg

After patrolling the area a bit and collecting some trash that was left up there, Brian and I collected the water sample and performed a fish survey. Emerald Lake had recently been stocked and had a great population of 8' cutties with a spattering of larger fish. The lake above Emerald had larger fish that were pretty wise to me. After I hooked a few that lake died. Brian told me the lake below Emerald had a bunch of picky but huge fish so I finished up there and hooked into a real football of a fish.

Sept pt2-16.jpg Sept pt2-17.jpg Sept pt2-18.jpg Sept pt2-19.jpg

After going to Emerald, our week included a lot of odd project work to fill our final week. Riding atv's to remote trailheads, checking boundaries, posting signs and carsonites. Below is a spattering of that week.

Maybelle Lake
Sept pt2-20.jpg

Meadowlark Reservoir
Sept pt2-21.jpg

And Willow Lake
Sept pt2-22.jpg Sept pt2-23.jpg Sept pt2-24.jpg Sept pt2-25.jpg

And now its all over! Summer is over and funding is gone. So I'm back in Utah, wondering what to do after some down time. It was a nice drive back, visiting Flaming Gorge, The Wedge, and Bryce along the way.

Sept pt2-26.jpg Sept pt2-27.jpg Sept pt2-28.jpg Sept pt2-29.jpg Sept pt2-30.jpg Sept pt2-31.jpg Sept pt2-32.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Congrats on a great season up there. It has truly been a pleasure following along in all of your trip reports. I think you've got the right idea: it's time to head to the desert now!

Oh, and sweet 'football' fish!

I always look forward to your TR's. Thanks for the journey. I love the pic of Maybelle lake. I'm jealous of the summer you've had. I've always wanted a season where I spent a month in the backcountry. Thanks again.

What an absolutely disgusting way to have to spend a summer.:)

Thank you for all the posts!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Pt. 1 Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- The Final Tour Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 7 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 6 West Side again Backpacking 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 4 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 3 West Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- A long weekend in SLC Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- 7.2 Loaf Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 1 Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Meadow Flowers and Hazelton Peak Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Lookout views and fresh snow Hiking & Camping 3
The Trout Whisperer Is it summer yet in your neck of th woods? General Discussion 35
Bob Skiing Summer......... General Discussion 10
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
regehr flash flooding summer 2022 General Discussion 56
Rockskipper Yellowstone visitation down 34% over Memorial Day - maybe price of gas? Any predictions for the summer? General Discussion 17
Jackson A Late Summer Summit Trip Backpacking 6
TheMountainRabbit Bowen-Baker Loop (Never Summer Wilderness) - June 2020 Backpacking 1
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
zionsky Glacier NP to Implement Ticketed Entry for Summer Season Trip Planning 29
WasatchWill A Trip to the Desert to Escape the Summer Heat Backpacking 9
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
kwc Summer Paddling in the Adirondacks On The Water 0
TheMountainRabbit Invite Never Summer Range, June 27th-29th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Dhuff3243 Technical canyons suggestions for summer Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2014 the first few days July 9 - 14 Backpacking 5
Ugly Sleeping with Pfieff, Maybird in May, or Summer -Winter Backpacking Winter Sports 7
scatman Yellowstone Lake - 2 Week Canoe Trip - Summer 2019 Trip Planning 24
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 | part two Backpacking 2
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 Backpacking 19
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - Summer 2017 Hiking & Camping 14
muir_mountain (Updated Regularly) My Summer 2016 Backpacking Thread Backpacking 17
muir_mountain Undiscovered Wonder: Summer 2015 Backpacking 17
jkgear Table Mountain/Tetons Late Summer Trip Planning 12
Red Rock Rangers St. George summer Trip Planning 3
Nick Summer paddling suggestions Trip Planning 10
Bob Coming this Summer General Discussion 0
Vegan.Hiker Planning next summer's cross country trip... Trip Planning 22
Dave Summer Solstice on Causey Reservoir On The Water 9
klank Desolation Wilderness - Summer Solstice 2014 Backpacking 5
TrektheWorld Anyone from the Denver area Colorado who would want to meet up this summer for a CO or UT jaunt? Meet Up (Members Only) 1
pbax Summer planning, suggestions welcomed Trip Planning 13
NAYR New Summer Gear Gear 2
Artemus Spring and Summer Runoff 2013 Trip Planning 7
Yvonne Ashdown Gorge Summer 2013 Meet Up (Members Only) 86
Deadeye008 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market General Discussion 3