Summer in the CPW- 7.2 Loaf Mountain

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
I suppose I must be a glutton for punishment. I'm essentially paid to hike hard, and on my weekends seem to hike harder. Maybe it is just a twisted sense of adventure.

Ever since arriving in Buffalo the impressive views of the southern peaks of the Cloud Peak Wilderness have beaconed me. I figure as a part of my patrolling I'll make it up many of them but some just don't fit well into a patrol tour. So with a bit of planning I decided I'd summit Loaf Mountain.

Loaf Mountain 001.jpg
The view from my "trailhead"
Loaf Mountain 003.jpg
After a couple miles the peak comes into view.
Loaf Mountain 004.jpg
Another way up to the summit, from the south

Loaf is the southernmost peak of the CPW. The wilderness boundary literally goes through the summit. There is no trail up it, you just kinda figure it out. I decided the way to go would be to go up the eastern ridge from the Sheep Mountain Lookout. 3 miles ish. 2000 elevation gain. Not too bad.

Loaf Mountain 007.jpg
The boulder hopping starts
Loaf Mountain 008.jpg Loaf Mountain 009.jpg Loaf Mountain 012.jpg
And the boulder hopping goes all the way to the top

And it wasn't too bad, until maybe the last mile. My nice soil walking turned into boulder hopping. And hopping is not the right intensity for what I was doing. These rocks were easily as big as a car, many bigger, and few sat nicely. I was using canyoneering moves over 15-20' gaps! It was slow going, and hard work. I've only summited a few mountains, and never anything technical, so this was a good intro to that objective. Really not that bad, just enough pizazz to tucker me out.

The view from the top was of course awesome. Looking north I could see right up the spine of the CPW. If only the air quality had been slightly better I'd have been able to see the Absarokas to the west and Wind Rivers to the southwest. 11,700' is a pretty nice spot to hang out.
Loaf Mountain 013.jpg
The summit
Loaf Mountain 014.jpg
The view north
Loaf Mountain 016.jpg
Lame Deer and the Firehole Lakes to the northeast in Circle Park
Loaf Mountain 017.jpg
More Circle Park Lakes
Loaf Mountain 022.jpg
Bomber Mountain barely out of the clouds
Loaf Mountain 023.jpg
Better light for this view on the way down:)

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Oh, and I am impressed you even hike on your off time if you hike for work the rest of the time. My work hiking gig has virtually wiped out my recreational hiking this year! Kudos!

Cool! Do you carry any kind of communication device as an FPO? Like a radio or satellite messenger, etc?

Yeah we have communication pieces. Our radios have reception half the time. And we have SPOT devices we check in with every morn.

Oh, and I am impressed you even hike on your off time if you hike for work the rest of the time. My work hiking gig has virtually wiped out my recreational hiking this year! Kudos!

This may be changing a bit. My last tour left me pretty beat. I'll still get out but my adventures will likely be more mellow.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Part 2 Hiking & Camping 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Pt. 1 Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- The Final Tour Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 7 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 6 West Side again Backpacking 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 4 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 3 West Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- A long weekend in SLC Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 1 Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Meadow Flowers and Hazelton Peak Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Lookout views and fresh snow Hiking & Camping 3
Bob Sawtooth Mountains ........... Get ready for summer Backpacking 12
OldBill 2024 Summer and Fall Weather Outlook General Discussion 0
The Trout Whisperer Is it summer yet in your neck of th woods? General Discussion 35
Bob Skiing Summer......... General Discussion 10
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
regehr flash flooding summer 2022 General Discussion 56
Rockskipper Yellowstone visitation down 34% over Memorial Day - maybe price of gas? Any predictions for the summer? General Discussion 17
Jackson A Late Summer Summit Trip Backpacking 6
TheMountainRabbit Bowen-Baker Loop (Never Summer Wilderness) - June 2020 Backpacking 1
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
zionsky Glacier NP to Implement Ticketed Entry for Summer Season Trip Planning 29
WasatchWill A Trip to the Desert to Escape the Summer Heat Backpacking 9
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
kwc Summer Paddling in the Adirondacks On The Water 0
TheMountainRabbit Invite Never Summer Range, June 27th-29th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Dhuff3243 Technical canyons suggestions for summer Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2014 the first few days July 9 - 14 Backpacking 5
Ugly Sleeping with Pfieff, Maybird in May, or Summer -Winter Backpacking Winter Sports 7
scatman Yellowstone Lake - 2 Week Canoe Trip - Summer 2019 Trip Planning 24
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 | part two Backpacking 2
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 Backpacking 19
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - Summer 2017 Hiking & Camping 14
muir_mountain (Updated Regularly) My Summer 2016 Backpacking Thread Backpacking 17
muir_mountain Undiscovered Wonder: Summer 2015 Backpacking 17
jkgear Table Mountain/Tetons Late Summer Trip Planning 12
Red Rock Rangers St. George summer Trip Planning 3
Nick Summer paddling suggestions Trip Planning 10
Bob Coming this Summer General Discussion 0
Vegan.Hiker Planning next summer's cross country trip... Trip Planning 22
Dave Summer Solstice on Causey Reservoir On The Water 9
klank Desolation Wilderness - Summer Solstice 2014 Backpacking 5
TrektheWorld Anyone from the Denver area Colorado who would want to meet up this summer for a CO or UT jaunt? Meet Up (Members Only) 1
pbax Summer planning, suggestions welcomed Trip Planning 13
NAYR New Summer Gear Gear 2
Artemus Spring and Summer Runoff 2013 Trip Planning 7