Stream crossings

To steal a phrase from the aviation and mushroom eating worlds, "There are old stream crossers and there are bold stream crossers but there are not old, bold stream crossers."

Lots of great comments above, tread cautiously, go with your gut. Here in Alaska, our streams that are fed by glaciers are braided and the water is grey with no clarity, crossing these is something of a gamble but using a walking pole or alder branch to gauge depth goes a long way in determining the depths as you cross. As for judging water speed relative to your ability to cross the stream, experience has been the best instructor.

I'm really glad I asked this, and that we've gotten the answers we've gotten. I always had a sneaking, sinking feeling that I was just the world's biggest chicken. It may still be true, but it sounds like I don't have to be totally ashamed that I act like a little kitty cat when confronted with water. I hope to make it to "old stream crosser."

I'm really glad I asked this, and that we've gotten the answers we've gotten. I always had a sneaking, sinking feeling that I was just the world's biggest chicken. It may still be true, but it sounds like I don't have to be totally ashamed that I act like a little kitty cat when confronted with water. I hope to make it to "old stream crosser."

Oh my gosh @Pringles. Don’t ever think being cautious and staying in your comfort zone makes you a chicken. Be patient and start small. Experience is your best teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pringles, in my hiking have crossed alot of streams. Plus in some areas like the Paria or the Escalante River ... the river might be the trail in places. Also have crossed streams in the spring when the water came up to my thighs.

One piece of advice I will give is this .... 'See With Your Feet'. Just take it slow and easy and use the feeling and sensation in your feet to guide you. Also all because a trail crosses a stream at a particular point, doesn't mean you have to cross at that point. In many instances there might be a better place to cross either upstream or downstream from where the stream crosses. In crossing I usually take my boots off and cross in my camp shoes. And in crossing a stream, one can use the water to help you across. I usually don't go straight across but more diagonal with letting the water help me across. Also i usually have my hiking stick in my hikes which found in the Escalante River back in 1986. And I have never fallen in as of yet. And in my hiking I am usually by myself so I really have to watch things.

Wishing You the Best!

Thanks for the encouragement. There are a number of places I would like to hike to here, and I need to get to those places at the right time, and boldly, carefully cross. :) I now know more things to look at and think about. Thank you all!