Strange Encounters

John Fowler

Weird stuff happens.

Here's a report from a houseboat trip we took in 2008. We put in at Hite and traveled west on Lake Powell at the relaxing (mind-numbing?) sppe of four to eight mph, depending on the wind. We got as far as Willow gulch on the Escalante before turning around to go back to Hite. We got our entertainment by feeding Fritos to the fish.

a_DSC1228.jpg

On the way back we stopped at Rainbow Arch, sometimes Rainbow Natural Bridge. These days, with the lake level down, the water stops about half a mile short of the arch. As we were tying up the dinghy, I noticed a crew of men and women unloading several large black boxes filled with video equipment.They proceeded down the path in front of us, but we soon passed them.

a-P1000866.jpg

Here's a shot of the arch before we got there, with Navajo Mountain in the background.

a-P1000855.jpg

After we got to the end of the path, I looked back and saw the film crew coming. I could have sworn that those young ladies were wearing jeans when I last saw them.

a-P1000868.jpg

the young ladies continued to disrobe.

a-P1000874.jpg

When they arrived they set up shop and began interviewing a local official.

a-P1000873.jpg

Meantimes, the young ladies started doing what they were there for: posing in front of the bridge.

a_P1000879.jpg

b-P1000880.jpg

a_P1000880.jpg

Eventually we left them, wondering what else might come off after they had the place to themselves, snd returned to our cruise.

a-P1000887.jpg

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

About the same thing happened the first time I ever went to Lake Powell and Rainbow Bridge. I think it was 1998, and I as I was heading up the trail some hot girls were coming down the trail and there was a camera crew there. I guess they were shooting for Glamour Magazine. They camped in the same canyon we did and just across the way from us. Being a SINGLE guy camping with my dad and uncle who are married..... I wanted to swim across and hang out with the models :D

What the schnitzel? I can assure you that this never happened to me while single! I'm surprised that it hasn't happened since I have been married as that would get me in trouble EVEN THOUGH I would not have had anything to do with arranging it and would have accidentally stumbled onto the situation like you two seem to have. Taking pictures would have put me over my head in hot water with "she who must be obeyed". My phone would have suddenly snagged 3 bars, received a call, at which time she would have told me that she heard the sound of bikinis in the background.

Wow, entertaining TR to say the least. Yeah, makes you wonder a little bit if there were any other plans after you left :). Strange things are happening in the desert.

So did the lake actually used to go under the bridge there at one time? I'm a noob when it comes to Lake Powell.

Wow, entertaining TR to say the least. Yeah, makes you wonder a little bit if there were any other plans after you left :). Strange things are happening in the desert.

So did the lake actually used to go under the bridge there at one time? I'm a noob when it comes to Lake Powell.
I think it either went under or got very close. Maybe somebody else knows.

I went to Rainbow Bridge at the beginning of our 20 year drought (+-1993) I remember the hike to the bridge was about 200 yards.

Strange encounters indeed! I was expecting aliens or something when I read the title, but this is probably just as unlikely to happen to you when you're out in the desert.:p
Maybe others can contribute some weird experiences they've had out in the wild. Not necessarily of the babealicious variety.

We used to go down to Lake Powell and stay on a house boat for a week every summer when I was growing up. I recall coming across many nude parties as we cruised through the side canyons on wave runners. I've never been, but I hear Spring Break is quite the occasion down there. Must be something in the water...

My buddy was down at Lake Powell once, camped along the shore on a beach. One day this motorboat came driving by with some old dude driving it and a young (mid 20's) girl in a bikini in the front hula-hooping! LOL! He said they all just sat there dumb-founded at first and then they all busted up laughing at the scene that had just unfolded in front of them...

As I recall - when Lake Powell topped some where around 3690 feet, the water was up Rainbow Creek within a 1/2 mile or so of Rainbow Bridge. throughout the years after the closing of the spillgates of the dam, environmentalists fought congress, at one point proposing a second barrier dam be built in Rainbow Creek to prevent water from eventually hitting and damaging the Arch. However, when the water levels started nearing 3700 feet - completely full - the dam didn't satisfactorily hold, and the levels were reduced somewhat.

Maybe others can contribute some weird experiences they've had out in the wild. Not necessarily of the babealicious variety.
I can contribute to that...it goes as followed: I just arrived at Canyonlands Needles District to find out that Squaw Flat campground was full. Got some info from the Ranger about CG outside the park, amongst them the " Needles Outpost", so I went there. As I drove the dirt road, old 50 style gas pumps welcomed me( yeah that place has only gas within 80 - 100 miles each direction at 6 Bucks/ Gallon) I went inside, nobody there. Then, a voice came from behind and scared me to death:" Can I help you?" I askd how much for the night, and she said 20 Dollars. I repeated what she just told me, but must have come across to her the wrong way. She kind of started yelling at me, so I said:" wow, you're just a ray of sunlight, are ya?" And then she went on, yelling at me more, getting pesonal telling me I am not cute ( which broke my heart, sarcasm off) so I should stop giving her that crap and so on. This was the time when I told her in a not so cute way to just eff off ( and I am a lady, I usually don't swear, but yeah I used the F - word). She told me I am a bitch and to get out, so I ( gladly) did. I told her that, I might not be cute but I am sure as hell a lot cuter than she is, got in my car and drove off. I got a spot at a BLM CG for 6 bucks a night...lucky me
Back at home, I did my research on the place and found out that you have to be very careful with ther, and that others have had similar experienses with her. Also, she's supposed to be drunk the later it gets. So if you have to go there, be careful, and hope that she either has taken her medicine, or the sun isn't out to bright :frantic: