Stinky Rope

Nick

-
My Subway rope stinks. Clint gave it back to me in the bottom of an open dry bag after the hike. I hucked it in the back of my truck, pulled it out the following day and realized it wasn't all the way dry. I've let it dry all the way out now but it has a definite funk to it. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? It's an Imlay Canyon Gear 8mm Fire Rope. ratagonia or Dan Ransom perhaps?

Front loading washing machine, Nikwax and then hang it all over your front room to dry :)

would a top loading washing machine work too? I can take out the center thingy if that makes a difference. anyone know? my imlay ropes starting to join the funk crowd.

Holy hell. I just moved my stinky rope onto the shelf across the room and my whole office stinks from it... gotta do something about this.

How bad would it be just to stick it in the sink with some Woolite or dish soap and then dry it properly? Would that actually hurt the rope?

How bad would it be just to stick it in the sink with some Woolite or dish soap and then dry it properly? Would that actually hurt the rope?

Yeah, I would not use the NikWax thing because i think it would be entirely ineffective after a few raps with a bit of sand around.

How about washing the rope? Hmmmm.

Me, I use my cooler. a little bit of soap, woolite or just dish soap, churn it up pretty good, let it soak, rinse, repeat. Yes, you want it to dry well. Polyester is usually pretty resistant to Mildew, but you might have gotten some other fungus type thing on there. You could try a tiny amount of chlorine bleach (ie, very dilute) for a limited time to kill off the fungus. If the rope becomes too 'dry' afterward, you can lube it up with a small amount of fabric softener (aka textile lubricant) again in the cooler, agitated good, hang to dry.

Hope that helps - T