Steve Allen presentation in Durango Feb 22 2024

fossana

There's an upcoming Steve Allen lecture in Durango, CO (exact location TBD) 2/22/2024 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM, sponsored by a local college.

From the event announcement:

50 Years in the Canyons

Steve Allen will discuss his many years of exploring the canyon country of Southern Utah, addressing his family’s history of desert exploration, interest in documenting history on the ground, and thoughts about the ongoing battles over land protection in Utah.

Historian and explorer Steve Allen is a widely recognized expert on the human history of the canyon lands of Southern Utah. His popular Canyoneering series of hiking guides are considered the “go to” sources for accurate information. Steve’s Utah’s Canyon Country Place Names is a comprehensive two-volume reference work that helps tell the stories of the pioneers who put names on the land. Steve spends eight months a year backpacking and has a home in Durango.

Oh!! Wish I could be there for that......I have tried to follow as many of his footsteps as I could in my many trips to Utah.

I just spoke to the event organizer, the director of Center of SW Studies. She said they will try to make the event available by Zoom, and that the time might shift by 30 minutes. I will keep an eye on the event page for updates.

I just spoke to the event organizer, the director of Center of SW Studies. She said they will try to make the event available by Zoom, and that the time might shift by 30 minutes. I will keep an eye on the event page for updates.
Great! That would be sweet.

Fossana, Thanks for following up with the college. I am sure that there are many people who would most appreciate a chance to hear what Steve has to say. If they can't do a Zoom, perhaps a recording might be made sharable with us distant fans.

regards, James (and Amy)

Uggggg.....Totally forgot about the time zone change so only caught last 30 mins of his talk. Hopefully the recorded version will be made available.

Also missed it. How was it? Am also hoping it was recorded.
The 30 mins I saw was quite good.....The audio left a lot to be desired but I could understand much of what Steve was saying.....It said it was being recorded so maybe someone can contact Steve and ask if it is possible to share the recording.

I thought it was good. I like desert rat stories. dude is the real deal.