Step Inside for a Scat Scan

If you're interested in improving your abilities, here are a couple of good books. Murie's book is a classic. The second book is by James Halfpenny and is highly recommended by many folks.

72061-7589586709ab4298508ebb42e7d507c9.jpg

content

Last edited:
Okay I need a positive identification from The Team. Morgan County, Utah. 5,100 ft December. Pretty sure it’s elk.

2ca2920a77e39c6d42418ea92fa4e8b7.jpg

db597b922f088421ba793ba79b322f12.jpg

621e83b3b3ecc8b4a6ce0f6435fe6553.jpg

There was lots of deer scat around... much smaller and rounder than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
These are from 2009, taken in Lost Spring Wash in the eastern San Rafael Swell, south of Woodside, Utah. I'm pretty sure it's bear scat, which is a little unnerving 'cause I've camped in nearby Cottonwood Wash many times and wouldn't expect to run into a black bear there.

Torrey on the ATV for scale (before she was a white-faced old lady)
IMG_0770.JPG

Bear(?) scat? Full of juniper berries and a little bit of grass.
IMG_0768.JPG

Bear(?) scat?
IMG_0771.JPG

Yes possibly Bear Scat. Bears are omnivores and can be both in the lower elevations and higher elevations. looks like quite large scat as compared to the vehicle's tires. Just my opinion.

I am a total novice at identifying flora and fauna but am eager to learn. Many times we don't see animals in the back country but often they leave behind their scat. We have many members who might be professional wildlife biologists or at least know their sh*t. @scatman may be one of them, hrm. So, I thought it might be educational to have a thread where we could post pictures of scat to be identified by our highly qualified scat scan crew in hopes to provide a way for us novices to learn more about our environment.

Along with posting pictures it might be helpful to post details about the location, elevation, time of year, etc. to aid in accurate identification. I'll defer to our scat scan crew for exactly what details would be most helpful.

So, I'll go first. I'm fairly sure the picture below is from a mule deer. It was taken in late October in the Wasatch Mountains at approximately 6,000 ft. The 72mm lens cap added for scale. Can we get confirmation from the Crew?

View attachment 72037
Ungulateous...

Here’s another one for our most excellent crew. June 23, 2019, Uinta mountains at approx 9500 ft.

57f1a1a1b61e32b2cf0bfb98cd4080ab.jpg

I don't think I'll even comment.

Here’s another one for our most excellent crew. June 23, 2019, Uinta mountains at approx 9500 ft.

Fox or small coyote? There's a lot of hair in there.

A few years ago my hubby gave me a “Scat and Tracks” book for my birthday. Quite the romantic he is! It has hand-drawn black and white illustrations, though, that we don’t find to be very helpful for identifying scat.

I'm with Jackson on this one. Looks like coyote, especially with altitude info thrown in there. Some range maps do not even show raccoons in the Uintas, out of curiosity, has anyone seen one there?

If referring to my post, I was saying Raccoon to what Nick posted last year in the photo above.

100% agree that the second photo I quoted from Perry is coyote.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit the post and clear it up.

- Kyle

If referring to my post, I was saying Raccoon to what Nick posted last year in the photo above.

100% agree that the second photo I quoted from Perry is coyote.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit the post and clear it up.

- Kyle

Ah, understood. Thanks for clarifying. Now I see what you did. I should have caught that.

Although scat in photo from Nick appears to have lots of wood fiber in it, which is not typical of raccoon diet. I could be very wrong about what is in the scat, but it looks like bark or similar.

Taken two days ago in upper Butler Wash, San Juan County. This is one of the smaller droppings of the four "groupings" we saw, presumably all from the same animal. It was jet black, not fibrous, no hair, plenty of seeds. We thought it was black bear. But, after reading about the size of bear droppings I'm somewhat doubtful. ??

DSC00192.JPG

Pointy ends, my money is on

Unknown.jpeg

Somebody's apparently been on a dry diet. It's fresh, though. I was close enough to smell him.

20200415_151834.jpg