Starting to build my own Bivy

Mike Jones

I know a lot of people are not fans, but I love bivies due to their speed and simplicity. I have decided to teach myself how to sew and am building my own bivy right now.

Here is the basic design with the cuben fiber floor. Since this picture, I have sewn all the corners up so they are no longer held up by gorilla tape.

I am currently waiting for some more materials to be delivered before I can go any further.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please shoot them my way and I will update you guys on how this project goes!

20160923_185744-e1474765787761.jpg

SO I am thinking of a waterproof center line zipper down the middle for entering and exiting. I think this make sittign up in the mornign and changing "inside" of it a little bit easier. What are your thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of the uretek zippers. They bind, are susceptible to sand etc and wear out faster than regular zippers (aside from not even being truly waterproof). This might be too-far-down-the-road of a thought, but a breathable-top bivy with a tarp is a lot more versatile and comfortable. There's lots of sub 1oz breathable fabrics that are great and cheap. What WPB were you planning on using?

I don't get it. For the same weight you could be using real tents.
Y'all have fun.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

I'm not a huge fan of the uretek zippers. They bind, are susceptible to sand etc and wear out faster than regular zippers (aside from not even being truly waterproof). This might be too-far-down-the-road of a thought, but a breathable-top bivy with a tarp is a lot more versatile and comfortable. There's lots of sub 1oz breathable fabrics that are great and cheap. What WPB were you planning on using?

I am using Zpacks waterproof breathable "challenger" fabric: http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

I don't get it. For the same weight you could be using real tents.
Y'all have fun.
Wayne

We shall see once we weight my final product ;-)

But I also have a "tent" design I am finishing up on paper that will be my next project! Wanted to start something small first!

I based my head scratching on the weight of the UberBivy link above. The TarpTent Protrail and Notch are similar in weight and price.
Wayne

@Mike Jones this is a great idea, might have to draw up some plans for a similar project. I also taught myself how to sew this year so if you have any questions regarding sewing feel free to ask! Stuff doesn't turn out that pretty at first but its functional haha

Any waterproof zippers you recommend?

Cuben fiber is the way to go. I don't think people realize how light that thing will be given the fabric. I am impressed with your work. If I were doing a similar project I would make it as if a one man tent and a bivy had a hybrid love child. In other words make it oversized and use a carbon fiber pole.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Any waterproof zippers you recommend?
Sorry, just saw this.

I just don't really like them in general. They're a pain to use, grit and sand sticks to them and gets stuck in them, and they seem to wear out and fail quicker than regular zippers.

For a bivy if you're doing a side zip I might just do a flap over a regular zipper if you're wanting that as your main shelter. I haven't used a full WPB bivy though...I have one I made just with a sil bottom and 7d top that weighs like 4oz that I mainly use if I'm not taking a shelter but am expecting wind or in the winter for a little extra breeze protection.

Looking forward to the results...learning to sew will serve you well. It's a slippery slope ha...packs, bags, coats...