St. George - Thanksgiving Week

I was finally able to get out to the St. George area and hit up some hiking spots I've been wanting to see for awhile. The kids could not come due to CO-VID concerns but I went ahead, kept my distance, and saw a lot. I still feel like there's tons to do in the area for kids and plenty more to explore.
Some highlights:

Yant Flats - what an awesome spot! I was there at sunset, sunrise I'm thinking, would be equally or even more amazing.
Red Reef Trail - so cool. I want to take the kids back there.
Water Canyon to White Domes (White Wave) - epic day hike! We got lost finding the domes and found so many other cool hoodoos. It was well worth it!
South and Middle forks of Taylor Creek in Kolob Canyons, Zion NP
Johnson Canyon Arch in Snow Canyon SP

The mountain biking trails and disc golf courses around here are quite fun and different as well. I can't wait to get back next year and see some more stuff.
P1030234.jpgP1030229.jpgP1030282.jpg
P1040187.jpgP1040303.JPGP1040114.JPGP1040086_7_8Natural.jpgP1040153.JPGP1030665.JPGP1030590.JPG

You picked some good ones! How was the road up to Yant Flats? Assuming you came in from Leeds.

I actually headed out from St. George and took the dirt road past the Yellow Knolls (am I remembering that right?) to get there. It wasn't a bad road at all. I have a Honda Element and it was really well graded except in a few spots I had to go slow and get around a few washouts but any car with decent clearance could make it. I asked some people about the road from Leeds to get back and they got up in a Prius. So I took that down, in the dark, and that way was really well graded (made Colorado roads look like minefields) and the getting down and out was easy to hit the interstate. I would just head up that way. It seemed more scenic coming from Leeds. Not much to see the other way.

Good to know. I've only come in from the Leeds side. Sounds like I should stick with that.

Yant Flat is so beautiful! I have a high-clearance vehicle (2009 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD), so the two times I've gone there, I've taken the road from Leeds. But now it sounds like the road from St. George could also be taken using my vehicle, which would come in really handy if I were staying in St. George.

Yant Flat is so beautiful! I have a high-clearance vehicle (2009 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD), so the two times I've gone there, I've taken the road from Leeds. But now it sounds like the road from St. George could also be taken using my vehicle, which would come in really handy if I were staying in St. George.

I think it took me the same amount of time either way

Just stumbled across your post. I was also in St. George for a few days around Thanksgiving. We were there with our in-laws. We did the middle fork of Taylor Creek and just hiked around Snow Canyon.

Your trip and pictures look amazing and give me some ideas if we end up down that way again for Thanksgiving.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Public bus from St George to Zion NP in 2024 General Discussion 7
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
wabenho Move from the Wasatch Front to St. George area? General Discussion 6
M Climbing in St. George? Top Rope? Trip Planning 6
Nick St. George Campsites Trip Planning 10
Red Rock Rangers St. George summer Trip Planning 3
chandlerwest Hello from St. George, UT Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Dave March Weekend in St. George Hiking & Camping 9
Flaminghog2099 George washington national forest Trip Planning 3
Nick Dog-friendly hikes around St. George Trip Planning 28
Jammer Invite Around St. George 3/7ish + Meet Up (Members Only) 0
steve Invite St. George this weekend, 2/13-2/15 Meet Up (Members Only) 37
Don Group Site near Zion or St George? (Veterans Day) General Discussion 4
DAA Wendover to St. George (on dirt...) Off Road 17
jrh Between Las Vegas and St. George Trip Planning 7
gloo Cedar City vs St. George General Discussion 7
Andy Heading to St George Trip Planning 7
Yvonne St. George and vicinity this weekend Trip Planning 3
Deadeye008 St. George, UT area day hikes Trip Planning 2
Tyler St George Mountain Biking March 2012 Off Road 2
Tyler Mountain biking St George Trip Planning 21
Ugly Thanksgiving Rim Walkin 2022 Backpacking 8
Yvonne A misty Thanksgiving Hike, Zion NP Hiking & Camping 11
Miya Thanksgiving, with a Tree Named Joshua and Food Poisoning Hiking & Camping 42
swmalone Thanksgiving in Moab 2017 Everything Else 0
TrektheWorld Meetup in the desert Thanksgiving week? Meet Up (Members Only) 1
piper01 Big Bend National Park, Thanksgiving 2016 (part 2) Hiking & Camping 4
piper01 Big Bend National Park, Thanksgiving 2016 (part 1) Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Thanksgiving Weekend with The Ancients Hiking & Camping 4
Deepak 3-4 day Thanksgiving Day Backpacking Trip Planning 1
IntrepidXJ Cedar Mesa for Thanksgiving Hiking & Camping 7
steve Thanksgiving: Capitol Reef to Boulder Mountain Off Road 5
S Titcomb Basin week itinerary options? Trip Planning 11
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
Janice Wonderful Week in the Winds Backpacking 7
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
Outdoor_Fool Week-long Ramble Through Southern Yellowstone Backpacking 22
Outdoor_Fool A week in the Big Belly Backpacking 20
forest dweller Invite update / edit - have off second and third week in August - wanting to backpack in Glacier, Olympic or Yellowstone, hinges on finding companions. Meet Up (Members Only) 37
J Trip first week of April 2021 Southern UT/Anywhere AZ - Death Hollow, Coyote Gulch, or other suggestions? Trip Planning 9
scatman Yellowstone Lake - A Two Week Paddle Trip - July 28, 2019 On The Water 44
RyanP Lower Death Hollow next week (late May/early June), miscellaneous questions Trip Planning 16
scatman Yellowstone Lake - 2 Week Canoe Trip - Summer 2019 Trip Planning 24
W 3-4 days in the Sawtooths, first week of June 2019 Trip Planning 16
Titans This week- Kanab, Arizona strip Trip Planning 13
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
wsp_scott A week in the Sierra Nevada Backpacking 23
Glasterpiece A week between Kingman and Williams, AZ Trip Planning 0
regehr Aspen this week Trip Planning 10