St George Mountain Biking March 2012

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I visit St George every few months for work and on my most recent trip I decided to bring my Downhill bike along and do some exploring around some of the marked trails. It's so funny when you drive around the area you have no idea how close you are to some awesome trails, often times right off the road.

I referenced utahmountainbiking.com for all my trail information. No downside to that website as they provide as much information as you could possibly need, but I think like any situation, you still don't know what it's like until you're there.

Day 1 we rode the Church Rocks to Prospector trail, which was right across the freeway from my hotel. This was my first time riding slickrock areas and I had a blast. We left our hotel and rode through a residential area, then on up near a large water tower, through a huge culvert that runs under the freeway, then made our way over to the Church Rocks area where the slickrock started.

My bike is heavy, so at times I had to jump off and start pushing a bit, which I have no shame doing. Once up on top of the small rim, it was rock and roll from there on out, then a nice downhill section. Church Rocks can be done as a loop, but I knew that the Prospector trail can also get us back to our hotel, just at a different location. As we rode prospector it started to get darker and I wasn't quite sure where our crossing point was going to be for the freeway, so we opted to take a shortcut through another wash/culvert, over a wire fence, through piles of tumbleweeds, then up a steep hill to the frontage road that would lead us back to our hotel. I can't wait to get back and ride both Church Rocks and more of Prospector.

Day 2 we went over to the Green Valley gap/Bloomington area of St George. On my last visit I rode the Bloomington area and had fun there too. On this ride I wanted to explore more of the area and get a ride out to the far end which is called Stucki Spring. I did my best to study a map, but not close enough because with all the trails criss-crossing it got really confusing. Despite it all, I still had a blast and the next time I'm down there I'll know certain spots where I should have turned, etc.

Let me know next time you come down, I live in Coral Canyon and ride Prospector, Church Rocks and Dino Tracks a few times a week and always would love some company.

I'm planning a few St. George MTB trips this winter, I'll have to check this one out.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tyler Mountain biking St George Trip Planning 21
TrailScot Public bus from St George to Zion NP in 2024 General Discussion 7
TrektheWorld St. George - Thanksgiving Week Everything Else 7
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
wabenho Move from the Wasatch Front to St. George area? General Discussion 6
M Climbing in St. George? Top Rope? Trip Planning 6
Nick St. George Campsites Trip Planning 10
Red Rock Rangers St. George summer Trip Planning 3
chandlerwest Hello from St. George, UT Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Dave March Weekend in St. George Hiking & Camping 9
Flaminghog2099 George washington national forest Trip Planning 3
Nick Dog-friendly hikes around St. George Trip Planning 28
Jammer Invite Around St. George 3/7ish + Meet Up (Members Only) 0
steve Invite St. George this weekend, 2/13-2/15 Meet Up (Members Only) 37
Don Group Site near Zion or St George? (Veterans Day) General Discussion 4
DAA Wendover to St. George (on dirt...) Off Road 17
jrh Between Las Vegas and St. George Trip Planning 7
gloo Cedar City vs St. George General Discussion 7
Andy Heading to St George Trip Planning 7
Yvonne St. George and vicinity this weekend Trip Planning 3
Deadeye008 St. George, UT area day hikes Trip Planning 2
U motor vehicles in the Canaan Mountain Wilderness General Discussion 4
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
B Hello mountain people! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
O Eagle Cap from China Cap to Meadow Mountain Backpacking 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
kwc Spruce Mountain Fire Tower, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
regehr conditions at the Mexican Mountain road? Trip Planning 8
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
TheMountainRabbit Sky Pond (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
kwc Snowy Mountain, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
scatman Bald Mountain - August 20, 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
regehr mountain-forecast.com Trip Planning 22
Absarokanaut Welcome First Peoples Mountain General Discussion 0
scatman Mendon Peak - Wellsville Mountain Wilderness - June 4, 2022 Hiking & Camping 13
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Jack's Mountain - December 24, 2021 Hiking & Camping 11
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1