Spring Backpacking Trip

Dave B.

I am looking to take some scouts on an early spring backpacking trip in the Wastach front area May 15-16. I was wondering if anyone know how Silver Lake up American Fork Canyon is looking snow wise.

The trail is snow free to Silver Lake. Here's a picture of what the area looked like on Saturday, May 2, 2015.

silver lake.jpg

Hmm...I'm not sure off the top of my head. We saw scouts camped near the outlet/waterfall on some rare flat ground. I don't know if this area requires you to be x number of feet from the water or trail though. Maybe someone else will chime in. You could also check out the topo of the area or satellite imagery to see if you can find other flat area in the area. Sorry...not very helpful. =)

Last edited:
Oh, and I was going to say...I think I've seen Scout groups up there every Saturday I've hiked to the lake. So you might have competition. ??

It's a very popular spot for scouts, I see groups every time I go up there. There are some spots to camp on the south side of the lake, but not a ton of them.

I haven't been up there since a buddy and I went up about 14 years ago. Wow...can't believe it's been that long already!!! Anyway, I remember camping somewhere along the eastern edge not more than a hundred feet from the shore, but probably wasn't adequate for a group. The lake was surrounded by at least 2 or 3 other scout groups that night. As others have said, I imagine it would be harder to find a site suitable for a group with the presence of other groups than it would be to find a spot for just a single person or two. There are plenty of other worthy places to backpack along the Wasatch that likely wouldn't have such a crowd. You just may have to forfeit a lake side camp with fishing opportunities. Obviously, scouts love to fish, as do I and many others here on BCP, but I find that if you want to get away from crowds and have a better selection of campsites, especially on weekends, you have to hike away from the popular fishing and swimming holes.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
montanaclimber advice Grand Canyon backpacking Spring 2020 Trip Planning 16
fossana CO Plateau backpacking suggestions for spring run-off season Trip Planning 14
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
M Early Spring Backpacking in Utah? Trip Planning 2
Julia Spring Break Backpacking Trip Planning 1
Michael B Looking for Utah backpacking recommendation for early spring Trip Planning 11
astark15 Late spring backpacking recommendations? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Bob A Spring Pick Me Up General Discussion 3
westy Colorado Plateau spring Hiking & Camping 0
Bob Close to Spring day ...... General Discussion 3
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Bob Beartooth changes from Spring flooding General Discussion 2
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
SteveR A Tale Of Two Passes- A Spring Ski Tour in Alberta Winter Sports 4
regehr Lower Horseshoe Canyon and Big Spring Trip Planning 7
XID_AZ Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021 Trip Planning 2
kwc Adirondack Spring Hiking Continued Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Adirondack Spring Hike #? Hiking & Camping 1
danger02ward 2020 Spring Beatout traverse Winter Sports 18
J Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
wsp_scott Dolly Sods spring Backpacking 9
canadug Spring Break in the Mojave Desert Hiking & Camping 4
I Zion-South Utah Spring Break - March 9th-March 14th Trip Planning 15
WasatchWill Spring Break Ideas for Vernal/Dino Quarry NM Trip Planning 3
S Spring Canyon, Capitol Reef-vehicle shuttle Sun, Mar 24. Meet Up (Members Only) 0
b.stark CO/UT Spring 2018 - A trip to get away Backpacking 10
fossana Spring Canyon/Sulphur Canyon loop (Capitol Reef) Hiking & Camping 24
Dave Hells Half and Honaker, Spring 2018 On The Water 9
Perry Spring Day Hike up Boulder Creek Hiking & Camping 2
Outdoors24 Overnight in Lower Spring Canyon Backpacking 5
Devin Ashby Nate’s Canyon/ Spring Canyon San Rafael Swell Trip Planning 2
Perry Leona Spring Trail to UHT - A New Personal Best Day Hike Hiking & Camping 2
Eugene Paria Canyon from White House to Big Spring Backpacking 3
kimbur96 Davis Meadows for a chilly spring overnighter, Duncan's first ! Backpacking 4
Kyle P Spring Hiking Pants Gear 2
TrektheWorld Spring Break in Moab Hiking & Camping 0
D Invite Dirty Devil - Burr to Poison Spring Packraft March 12-13 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Jackson Lower Spring Canyon in Winter Backpacking 14
Parma Druid Arch Trail Spring General Discussion 2
Kyle P Death Hollow In the Spring Trip Planning 22
Eugene Spring 2016 3 day backpack suggestions Trip Planning 6
Mike K Red Baldy Spring Summit Hiking & Camping 10
Scott Chandler Spring at Toroweap Hiking & Camping 11
hatchcanyon Poison Spring Canyon (1998) Off Road 0
Blake Merrell Spring Canyon to Sulphur Canyon Trip Planning 7
hatchcanyon Trough Spring Ridge Off Road 4
Joey Capitol Reef's Spring Canyon and Sulphur Creek loop from Holt Draw Backpacking 12
hatchcanyon Caves Spring (2009) Off Road 0
HomerJ Tourist crashes drone into Grand Prismatic Spring General Discussion 17