Spiral Jetty?

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
Pretty wild. Has anyone been? I plan to go as soon as the snow melts. This vid I found on YouTube made me want to do drugs. It doesn't start any talking until a minute into it. Apparently the sculptor made this video in 1970 after he finished the Jetty. CRAZY,I dig it...

Youtube:

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Jetty

I've never made it out there. I hear it's much better from the air than ground level though. Watch out for the bugs if you go when it's warm! If it's anything like the south end of the lake, they're wicked.

I have done some electrical work out at Western Zirconium. The mosquitos sound like B-52 bombers. I was there for 8 hours and I swear I left a quart low.

I've been there a couple of times. I'm pretty "meh" about it. Just doesn't "do anything" for me. I'm the same way about the sun tunnels at Lucin. Just not attractive or even very interesting to me. But I know plenty of people that think both Sprial Jetty and the Sun Tunnels are just cool as crap so it's all in the perspective of the beholder.

- DAA

you'll want to go when the lake level is low. Some years It's underwater and tough to see.

I've been there a couple of times. I'm pretty "meh" about it. Just doesn't "do anything" for me. I'm the same way about the sun tunnels at Lucin. Just not attractive or even very interesting to me. But I know plenty of people that think both Sprial Jetty and the Sun Tunnels are just cool as crap so it's all in the perspective of the beholder.

- DAA
I'm sure seeing it once will do . My kids want to check it out. Do you know if you can walk on it? I read that it is covered in salt crystals and don't want to cause any damage.

I've been there, probably go back again at some point. I thought it was pretty cool. Not sure I would make it a day destination, but not a bad visit if you're in the area, paired with Golden Spike National Historic Site makes a fun day.

Its really other worldly out there. Remote, the salt crystals are pretty cool. Its very stark and desolate. Its important to watch the lake level as mentioned. You want to go when you can actually walk out on it. There is a good hill to the east for nice aerial views, but the best was being out on it.

When I went the road was pretty good except for maybe the last mile. Not sure what they do to maintain it. Was fine in a stock SUV but probably not a minivan.

Went out to the Spiral Jetty today. The road is in great shape, passenger car passable all the way to the end. The water is really low, but it's still cool.

Seen a picture.......good enough for me.

I've never made it out there. I hear it's much better from the air than ground level though. Watch out for the bugs if you go when it's warm! If it's anything like the south end of the lake, they're wicked.
I see the use of a quadcoppter fulfilling this need. :)

Reactions: DAA