South Pacific!

Laura

freespirittraveler
This probably doesn't belong here since there is nothing backcountry-ish about it, but I thought it might be a welcome post at the end of winter, since most of you are probably still in snow. After almost 11 years together, Stan and I ran off to the Cook Islands in the South Pacific and eloped on the beach. We decided on the Cook Islands after I read an article that said if you want to feel like a castaway on a tropical paradise, this is where you can do it. The Cook Islands, specifically Aitutaki, where we stayed, is the sleepiest place I've ever been. Work ends at three. No big resorts or development, just a lot of local places with local hospitality. Not much to do except relax. Everyone gets around on scooters, going about 25 miles an hour (no reason to go faster than that). And yes, it really does look like this-no saturation to the pictures. I'll just let the pictures do the talking from here:

Getting on the plane from Rarotonga to Aitutaki3.7.16 Getting there.jpg

Aitutaki from the plane, rated by Lonely Planet as the most beautiful island approach in the world3.7.16 From the plane.jpg

First thing to do is get on island time!
3.7.16 Island Time.jpg

Aitutaki is the largest of a ring of islands around a bay, surrounded by a protective reef. We took a day cruise to the uninhabited outer islands, which were beautiful beyond belief:
3.9.16 One Foot Palm and clear water.jpg

3.9.16 One Foot Single Palm.jpg

3.9.16 Under The Palms.jpg

You have to be on the Cook Islands for three days before you can get married, and on the fourth day, we got hitched:

3.10.16 Getting Ready for I do.jpg

The next day, our "honeymoon", we took a Honeymoon Cruise. They took us to an uninhabited island and dropped us off with a table and chairs, picnic lunch and champagne (and beer, water, and soft drinks) and left us there for three hours. We felt like Adam and Eve (that's my swimsuit hanging from the palms).

3.11.16 Honeymoon Island and swimsuit.jpg

"Castaway" on Honeymoon Island

3.11.16 Honeymoon Island Castaway.jpg

Leaving honeymoon island
3.11.16 Turquoise Water.jpg

Island scenes
3.7.16 Hermit Crab.jpg

We loved this place so much that we didn't bother to exchange our New Zealand dollars when we got home, we just put them in an envelope for when we return, hopefully next year. I could post more, but I don't want to be one of those people that bore with endless wedding photos. Just one more:

We're really married!

3.10.16 Stan and I.jpg

Last edited:
Kia Orana.....Congratulations! Great place to get Married. Truly stylin!
Cook Islands are awesome! Went to Raratonga in 1983, loved the island and the people. Never did make it to Aitutaki though. Your pictures are making me wish I did.

Laura! Congratulations! And what a great thing to share with us, and the place, and the photography. Thanks.

Kia Orana.....Congratulations! Great place to get Married. Truly stylin!
Cook Islands are awesome! Went to Raratonga in 1983, loved the island and the people. Never did make it to Aitutaki though. Your pictures are making me wish I did.

Thanks! When we go back we're going to split the trip between Rarotonga and Aitutaki. I really want to do the across-the-island hike and dive. Aitutaki is fabulous and beautiful, but very sleepy. We figure we'll do Rarotonga first and get all our energy out, then go relax on Aitutaki. Kia Orana!

Laura! Congratulations! And what a great thing to share with us, and the place, and the photography. Thanks.

Thank you so much! :) I'm not on here so much anymore, but I wanted to share this, especially with the people that I've known for years on here.

Reactions: Ben
Congratulations Laura! Everything about this report is beautiful. From the story to the landscapes.