South Lake to North Lake Sierra Nevada

KevinBoyer

I recently watched a Youtube video done by Joey Coconato, My Own Frontier, who has posted here in the past. He did this backpack trip in the Sierra Nevada going from South Lake to North Lake. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what map I would need to purchase that has this route. Joey is hard to get hold of or I would have contacted him directly.

Kevin.

Hey neighbor / Kevin - when you're in Winder, I live just around the corner from you (well, more or less, sorta).

That's the 'classic' Evolution loop at the top end of Kings Canyon NP, and if you're familiar with the Tom Harrison series of map sets for the sierras, I'm pretty sure he has a map specifically for this route. There's a 55-mile version that is pretty much all on-trail, or a slightly shorter version going off-trail over.... dang, the name of that col is escaping me at the moment (can't get Knapsack out of my head, and that's obviously wrong). I'm guessing Joey C went over the col, but there is no need to shorten it if you want the ease of staying on-trail, because the longer 55-mile route is superb.

Ah, yes, here it is, I think.
http://amzn.to/2AkH2LO

ETA: oops...... I see one reviewer mentions it cuts off Dusy Basin portion. I don't own this particular Harrison map, so I can't verify. But the entire route is SUPER-easy to follow, you can make your own personalized map of your route from CalTopo (my favaorite) or what have you.

Gotta be someone on here who has posted a TR of the Evolution Loop before...... [yet another ETA:] Aha, yes, Klank posted a TR here from Sept 2015, including a link to his CalTopo of his route. That is the 55-miler that is the classic 'long' version of the loop. It will probably show up for you in the related threads below.

Last edited:
He shows the map cover and number in the video.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Chuck the Mauler North Lake - South Lake questions Trip Planning 4
klank South Lake to North Lake - Eastern Sierras Backpacking 9
klank Invite South Lake -> North Lake loop - Sierras Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
balzaccom South Lake Blew us away Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Willow Creek-Granite Lake Hiking & Camping 0
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Snake River, Heart Lake, and South Boundary Trail Backpacking 13
Bob Shoshone Lake to the South Entrance, Yellowstone Backpacking 5
steve Backpacking to Lake Hardy and South Thunder Backpacking 4
WasatchWill Lake Hardy & South Thunder Mtn Backpacking 23
A West Uintas south of Trial lake 08/11 to 08/12 Hiking & Camping 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
balzaccom South America Everything Else 1
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Coyote Buttes South- New Daily Permit Process Trip Planning 8
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
S Driving to poverty flats (South Coyote Buttes) on AWD Trip Planning 11
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
balzaccom South by Southwest from Napa Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
dhertbag Camping at Cottonwood Cove - Coyote Buttes South Trip Planning 11
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
wsp_scott Big South Fork Views Backpacking 14
S Conejos - South San Juan Wilderness Backpacking 2
kwc Chimney Mountain, South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hiking in the South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
I Water in Frisky Creek south of Highway 12 in the Grand Staircase? Trip Planning 0
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
regehr Dirty Devil South Trip Reports 14
Nick Coyote Buttes South - Jan 18, 2020 Trip Planning 1
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
regehr south waterpocket fold backpack Trip Planning 27
Titans Prescribed burn South Monroe Mountain- photos from Capitol Reef area Photography 0
LarryBoy Going South this Weekend? Meet Up (Members Only) 4
I Zion-South Utah Spring Break - March 9th-March 14th Trip Planning 15
D South Coyote Buttes. We are going to put in at Lone Tree Reservoir because we don't have 4wd but we want to make it to White Pocket. Trip Planning 30