South Draw Loop

WasatchWill

Ready For More
After a night out with Raylee, it was now time to trade her out for Lennox. For this little adventure, we'd do a bit of off-road driving with the South Draw Road through Capitol Reef, making a loop of it, followed by a night of camping just outside of the town of Torrey. My father-in-law rode along for the drive part.

Wednesday - June 13, 2018

We started by driving up Highway 12 up on to Boulder Mountain from Torrey. We pulled over at one of the overlooks to get a view down across the flats we'd soon be driving through.

After turning off of Highway 12 and down around Lower Bowns Reservoir, we pulled over for a quick look at an old rancher corral.

Moving on, we took a little short side road out to Pleasant Creek to enjoy the little slot and waterfall in action there. It sure felt different driving down to it this time from above than hiking to it from below as I had done so the year before.

Back on the main route, we drove on across Tantalus Flats and up through Sheets Draw. There was a little arch high up on the ridge of the Salmon. Just a couple weeks before I had been been poking around the Salmon on an overnight hike from Pleasant Creek down through Sheets Gulch. I ended up camping not far from the other side of the arch.

Minutes later, we were passing through the boundary into Capitol Reef National Park and getting ready for the roughest part of the drive. I prepared my 4Runner by letting much of the pressure out of the tires.

Cresting over and into South Draw provided some great views northward across the western face of the northern half of the Waterpocket Fold. The road was good fun for gaining a bit more off-road experience. I was glad to have my father-in-law along, getting out in a few spots to help spot me through a couple of the tricky bits (see video at end of post). The stock clearance handled it all well.

Once down into the bottom of the draw, it was a fair simple and straight forward drive along much of the wash to the Pleasant Creek crossing. There, we pulled over at the trailhead so I could lead Lennox and my father-in-law along for a short hike up to a couple of petroglyph panels.

From the panels, we poked around the canyon walls to do a bit of exploring.

Back on the road, we head up out of the park to drop off my father-in-law back at his home in Torrey.

Along the way out, we made another brief stop in Fruita so that Lennox could check out the resident horses. Horses are among his favorite animals and he's always thrilled when he gets the chance to interact with one.

After dropping my father-in-law off, we found ourselves a cozy little spot on the outskirts of town to set up camp for the night. There, we enjoyed a pretty spectacular sunset to close out the day.

After the evening sky show, we had ourselves some dinner, relaxed around the fire, and took a few night photos before jumping into bed.

Thursday - June 14, 2018

The next morning was an early out so as to get back home for work in the afternoon. We packed up and drove back into town to pick up Raylee.

Both Raylee and Lennox were treated to breakfast early on and then some ice cream near the end of the ride home. It was another great twofer trip making some one-on-one memories with my kids in the outdoors.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
balzaccom South America Everything Else 1
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Coyote Buttes South- New Daily Permit Process Trip Planning 8
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
S Driving to poverty flats (South Coyote Buttes) on AWD Trip Planning 11
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
balzaccom South by Southwest from Napa Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
dhertbag Camping at Cottonwood Cove - Coyote Buttes South Trip Planning 11
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
wsp_scott Big South Fork Views Backpacking 14
S Conejos - South San Juan Wilderness Backpacking 2
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
kwc Chimney Mountain, South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hiking in the South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
I Water in Frisky Creek south of Highway 12 in the Grand Staircase? Trip Planning 0
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
regehr Dirty Devil South Trip Reports 14
Nick Coyote Buttes South - Jan 18, 2020 Trip Planning 1
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
regehr south waterpocket fold backpack Trip Planning 27
Titans Prescribed burn South Monroe Mountain- photos from Capitol Reef area Photography 0
Chuck the Mauler North Lake - South Lake questions Trip Planning 4
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
LarryBoy Going South this Weekend? Meet Up (Members Only) 4
I Zion-South Utah Spring Break - March 9th-March 14th Trip Planning 15
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
D South Coyote Buttes. We are going to put in at Lone Tree Reservoir because we don't have 4wd but we want to make it to White Pocket. Trip Planning 30
fossana South Guardian Angel (Zion NP, UT) Hiking & Camping 3
balzaccom South Lake Blew us away Backpacking 4
Wanderlust073 South Colony Lakes overnight Backpacking 9
Perry Old South Skyline Trail - Ogden Canyon Trip Planning 1
pixie1339 White Pocket, South Coyote Buttes Advice Trip Planning 11
KevinBoyer South Lake to North Lake Sierra Nevada Trip Planning 4
Jackson South Guardian Angel Hiking & Camping 12
Curt Badlands National Park, South Dakota Backpacking 14
fiber Wind River Range, South - Sept 2-6, 2017 Backpacking 13