Snowshoes: Would these be just a waste of money?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Ran across these at Costco...

20161202_170409.jpg

Any chance these are any good at $69.00 for a beginner or would I just be wasting my money?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

20161202_171806.jpg

No weight given though.

I guarantee they will be great at that price. If you get really into it, you might want something fancier, but you certainly won't need to upgrade if you don't want to. Do it.

I've been using cheap Costco snowshoes for the past several years. No complaints here.

Sounds like these may be going on my Christmas wish list ;)

Sounds like these may be going on my Christmas wish list ;)
Me too--thanks for posting about these! I've been eyeballing some MSRs, but couldn't justify the expense without knowing how much use I'd get out of 'em.

Me too--thanks for posting about these! I've been eyeballing some MSRs, but couldn't justify the expense without knowing how much use I'd get out of 'em.
View attachment 50816

No weight given though.

They will work well. Until you really get vertical and icy later as you press the limitations these are great for the pric

Those snowshoes from Costco will work just fine on flat trails and small inclines. But there are no climbing bars for going up steep terrain. Also, on the weight recommendations, make sure you also include any gear you are carrying and wearing I.E. backpack ect.

These are the snowshoes I have. MSR Lightning Ascent. They are super light, have great traction, float deep snow well, and are great for uphill travel.
lightning_ascent2.jpg

If you plan on traveling in avalanche terrain, make sure you are traveling with a partner, and both of you have a beacon, shovel, and probe and know how to use them.

For avalanche forecast and conditions, please visit the Utah Avalanche Center for the current conditions. Know before you go!
https://utahavalanchecenter.org/

I didn't know about the climbing bars. Thanks for that and the safety concerns. If I try snowshoeing I planned on doing some very mild travel. Basically wanting to try this for two reasons. Firstly, to have a way to get out and keep a little bit in shape during the winter, and secondly to find out if I'd like to do it.

I didn't know about the climbing bars. Thanks for that and the safety concerns. If I try snowshoeing I planned on doing some very mild travel. Basically wanting to try this for two reasons. Firstly, to have a way to get out and keep a little bit in shape during the winter, and secondly to find out if I'd like to do it.

Yeah no problem. I probably sound like somebody's mother, but avalanches are dangerous and can kill you.

Snowshoeing is really good exercise. There are a ton of areas that are not avalanche prone you can get out in. Just stay out from under steep slopes and you should be ok. Traveling with a partner is always a good idea. It makes the day even better out there. Winter is beautiful!

Yeah no problem. I probably sound like somebody's mother, but avalanches are dangerous and can kill you.

Snowshoeing is really good exercise. There are a ton of areas that are not avalanche prone you can get out in. Just stay out from under steep slopes and you should be ok. Traveling with a partner is always a good idea. It makes the day even better out there. Winter is beautiful!

I am going to jump in on the get them bandwagon. My wife and I have been snowshoeing in the intro/mid level atlas snowshoes for years now and we are quite happy with that level of shoe. It is amazing how going when there is deep snow can change an area you hike in a lot. It just seems like a completely new place and the experience can be amazing. As others have said just keep in mind safety, not just avalanche but also remember to properly layer. You exert a lot of energy when you are moving and can put off a lot of heat, but when you stop it is really easy for the cold to set in quickly. We are kind of constantly adjusting layers of clothing, gloves, and hats as we move in and out of shade and also as our level of exertion increases or decreases.

Heh! No way you sound like my mother.... she would tell me to just stay home :)

Seriously I appreciate the advice,

For recreational use on established trails, or on flat terrain or moderate hills. Looks like they should work for ya, especially for that price. Just don’t go climbing any mountains with em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know anything about the quality of those shoes. I used to live in Michigan’s upper peninsula, where we had our fair share of snow, and used snowshoes in the winter to “do stuff.” It sounds like people have had good luck with them, or similar ones and that’s great. The thing I was told early on, is that if the binding pops for whatever reason, you’re out in the middle of nowhere with no floatation. (Well, you could hop on one foot.) I was told to look at the bindings, and also the way the flotation elements were attached, so if something DID happen in the middle of nowhere (do things ever happen anywhere else?), I could have duct tape or bailing wire or whatever, to find away to jerry rig something to make them work. So, my extremely cheap advice is to have some duct tape and cable ties and cord with you, just in case. I always used ski poles, too, for balance. I really like that color of green. Have fun!