Snowshoe Suggestions

swmalone

I thought I would hit up the group for advice on some snowshoes I've been looking at. I have some atlas 930's that are the 30 inch length. I used to weigh a bit more and with the weight and gear this seemed to be a good size. I have liked the snowshoe, but have thought of getting something smaller since I have lost weight.

With that in mind I have been looking at the various MSR offerings. I have heard some of them can make quite a bit of noise from the decking material and if possible I would like to avoid that. At the moment I have been primarily interested in the Lightning Ascents, although I do have to admit the price seems a bit steep.

Would love feedback from owners of MSR snowshoes and also suggestions on which size to get. I weigh 160, but that is without clothing, shoes, gear etc. The 22" shoes say they are rated to 180lbs and I could add the tails if I needed additional floatation. I have come across contradictory information regarding MSR snowshoes, some say go with the bigger size when in doubt and others say that MSR tends to be overly conservative with their ratings. Would love to hear some first hand knowledge.

I've been very happy with my Lightning Ascents.

I have the 22" with tails.

If you hike a lot of trails that are already packed down a little, then the shorter size is fine and you can add the tails when needed. But if you find yourself in untracked powder a lot, then the longer size would be better. I'd base the decision on length on the type of snow you use them in more rather than your weight....but that's my opinion.

Thanks for the input. I find myself doing a mixture of both broken trails and untracked powder. I am just wondering if I could get away with using the 22" length on the broken trails and if adding the tails will give enough flotation for unbroken powder or if I should just bump up to the 25" length and possibly still pick up a set of tails.

MSR snowshoes are usually the brand rental places offer. Why don't you try renting a pair if that option is available to you? They will probably be the Evo model, not Lightning Ascents, but at least you would get a feel for 22 inch shoes with the added tails, which are also usually part of the rental. Otherwise, you may just get more conflicting opinion.

Thanks for the input. I find myself doing a mixture of both broken trails and untracked powder. I am just wondering if I could get away with using the 22" length on the broken trails and if adding the tails will give enough flotation for unbroken powder or if I should just bump up to the 25" length and possibly still pick up a set of tails.
I weigh about 150 and my snowshoes (not MSR) are 24". Haven't ever tried going with a very heavy pack, but that length has served me well in deep untracked powder and steep inclines. If you're larger than I am, I'd consider going for the 25" shoes. Testing out a rental pair of Evos before making your purchase is a great idea as well.

MSR snowshoes are usually the brand rental places offer. Why don't you try renting a pair if that option is available to you? They will probably be the Evo model, not Lightning Ascents, but at least you would get a feel for 22 inch shoes with the added tails, which are also usually part of the rental. Otherwise, you may just get more conflicting opinion.

That is a good idea, I might have to find a place that rents them and give that a try.

That is a good idea, I might have to find a place that rents them and give that a try.

I see you’re in Northern Utah? If you’re near Ogden, Recreation Outlet rents both the EVO and the Lightning Ascents. I did the rental one time and bought the second time. I seem to recall they applied my rental fee to the purchase too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give that a shot. Probably a good idea before dropping that much on snowshoes anyway. I have driven by that place a few times but have never stopped to check it out.

My local rental place also applies the rental fee you pay to a purchase, so that would be good.

eric
fresno, ca.

I thought snowshoeing was pretty ok till I put on a pair of backcountry, or cross country ski's. I don't think I'll ever put snowshoes on again.

I tried cross country skiing a couple of times and it seemed fun, but I only did it on the groomed trails. I have never downhill or backcountry skied so at least for the foreseeable future I will probably stick with snowshoes.

I thought snowshoeing was pretty ok till I put on a pair of backcountry, or cross country ski's. I don't think I'll ever put snowshoes on again.

How do they work moving through elevation gains? You have to duck walk your way up?

I picked up some Ascents. Some day it might snow...