Smoke Map ....... 2024

The WRM FB page has recent posts on this - mostly variable - some days bad - others great. Pictures I've seen lately vary good/bad as well.
Yeah, one of these days I should probably join FB just for stuff like this... I guess it makes sense that there is a WRM FB page and that that could be a good place to get conditions. Thanks

Was just in the southern Winds last weekend - was hazy, but not too bad. Seems like it got a little worse through the week, but like @OldBill says it's been pretty variable.

I'm headed back (north side this time) tomorrow and hoping for a little luck w/ the weather, but we shall see. A buddy in Pinedale says it's been raining, so maybe that'll relieve things a bit.
Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you were just there last week and are going back right away... have a good trip! I think at this point I'm leaning towards heading South instead to avoid the smoke/haze, but if I hear new reports that things are clearing up, I may stick with the Plan A instead...

@Bob --thanks for posting the webcam image. Where did you get this?

Last edited:
Wyoming highway dept pinedale view

Summer in Idaho and Wyoming isn't summer without smoke. There have been very few long periods of no smoke in summers. Last real long I remember was in 2009

North winds (Fitzgerald Wilderness) hint of smoke down low, nothing to report along the Glacier Trail, daily rain probably knocked some of it out of the sky

If you’re on Facebook, the Pocatello weather site has a smoke forecast map for the region that goes over in Pinedale.

Summer in Idaho and Wyoming isn't summer without smoke. There have been very few long periods of no smoke in summers. Last real long I remember was in 2009
I feel like we got off pretty easy last year. Good enough that I went into this year expecting it to be pretty rough, at least.

But it's definitely just part of the experience.

I remember going into the Parks service center in Jackson one year. Stood in line at the info desk. Lady in front of me was saying "Where's all this smoke from? It's going to ruin my photos and my entire trip!" ... Gave me new respect for what those volunteers endure every summer.

Just some non-scientific observations:
Yellowstone was only a little hazy Sunday. The morning started nicely foggy after a good soaking rain Saturday night, at least down south and in GTNP.

Central Eastern Idaho, much hazier, Plus at least an extra hour headed south with construction traffic.

7 days in the central Winds with some haze that was almost instantly back after each day's storm. Some really good thunderstorms at the end of last week, mostly afternoon, one at sunset, and one at dawn on Saturday.

Back