Smithsonian Butte Road Utah BLM camping?

Mike Jones

Is anyone here familiar with Smithsonian Butte road just south of Zion? Apparently you can camp there for free since its BLM land.

What research I have done is that you just have to camp. 5 miles away from the road.

My question is, is it ok to drive that half mile away from the road or do you have to pull off to the side and hike the half mile.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There are plenty of primitive campsites out there that you can drive to on other roads that are off the main road. You should stick to the existing sites. You don't have to hike to them.

There are tons of places to camp all down that road. I quick look at Googlemaps or Earth and you should be able to pinpoint a couple of spots that look promising. If all else fails just follow a turn off until you find one.

We stayed a short ways off the main road for a night in 2014. There were plenty of nice existing spots, but I'm not exactly sure if the one that we used was actually outside the "no camping" zone as we were not aware of that restriction. Getting up the steeper portion of the road from the north was a bit rugged in spots although not a problem for our 4wd Tacoma. At that time, low clearance probably would have had issues. Morning yoga at our camp spot:
Utah2014039-L.jpg

More images from that trip, hiking in Capitol Reef, Escalante and Zion area, with other stops along the way-
https://steveriggs.smugmug.com/Utah2014

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Aspen to Crested Butte - end of September? Trip Planning 11
Stephanie B Gold Butte National Monument, Nevada, February 11 - 15, 2020 Hiking & Camping 3
Nick Gold Butte x2 Hiking & Camping 33
CTTim Gold Butte General Discussion 3
NorthwestWanderer Tomyhoi via Yellow Aster Butte, WA Backpacking 5
NorthwestWanderer Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi Lakes Basin, WA Hiking & Camping 11
NorthwestWanderer Delancy Ridge via Driveway Butte, Okanogan NF, WA (5/20) Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Gold Butte Campout, February 2016 Hiking & Camping 17
Adrian Kien A Noob from Butte, America Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
gnwatts Aspen to Crested Butte & back Everything Else 4
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Red Butte Canyon Rim-Walk - May 20, 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
Seldom Seen Anderson Red Butte Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
Bob Wire Day Hike at Crown Butte Reserve Hiking & Camping 5
JackBurns Pahvant Butte Hiking & Camping 1
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell - The Western Slope and Mesa Butte Off Road 2
JoanieBelle Crested Butte/San Juans Yankee Boy Basin 17-23 July Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Blake Merrell Canyoneering the Elephants Butt, eh... I mean BUTTE! Canyoneering 2
Udink Gold Butte Region Hiking & Camping 5
Nick Aztec Butte Trip Planning 0
pixie1339 Southern Nevada, March 2013, Part Two: Gold Butte Area Hiking & Camping 2
regehr Steele Butte Trip Planning 3
futurafree Old Mining Road along Dirty Devil Trip Planning 5
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
Titans Cedar Mesa 3/11/24- Springs & Road conditions Trip Planning 3
Noun Sequitur 2023 Road Trips Everything Else 1
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
Writhdar Old Sheffield/Spencer Flats Road end (wellhead) questions Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
regehr conditions at the Mexican Mountain road? Trip Planning 8
rhubarrbb White Pocket - Lone Tree Road / Southern Road Trip Planning 3
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
Stephanie B Lockhart Road and Bobby's Hole Trip Planning 7
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
D White Rim Road Off Road 2
Parma White Rim Road FKT General Discussion 4
Gwen T Fortymile Ridge Road Trip Planning 5
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
norwegianxplorer Death Hollow from Hells Backbone road 7 day loop with My Own Frontier Canyoneering 0
Titans 2020 Road Conditions Southern Utah (& Arizona Strip ) Trip Planning 1
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
regehr late 2019 road conditions in S Utah Trip Planning 55
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
powderglut Colonnade Arch road conditions General Discussion 7
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Arizona/Utah road trip loop with sandstone/badlands/canyon hikes Hiking & Camping 14