Smith Cabin Reef Hike

Desertrat

I was in dire need of a hike (as well as an entry for that sweet sleeping bag) and decided on hiking to the top of the reef from Smith Cabin and then down Horsethief Trail canyon. Well things didn't go as planned.
I left home at 9 and was slowed down by all the traffic on the road. It was either mountain bikers, atv, or slow cars. I didn't get to Smith Cabin until after Noon. There were two other cars parked at the trailhead.

The first obstacle was a couple of dry falls but they were easily bypassed. This is were I ran into two guys from Colorado. They were hiking to the top as well and we would play leap frog the whole way.

It was a hot day so hiking was slow. Every time there was a good shade spot, I had to take advantage of it, as well as Rocky.

I finally made it to the top and up there was a pothole full of water. So I grabbed Rocky and soaked him. At first he didn't like it but once it cooled him down he was happy.

The view was nice up from the top. While sitting there admiring the view 3 planes flew past and one landed at the airstrip. I even spotted two hikers down in Spring Canyon. It was a busy day on the Swell.

I hiked North a short distance along the rim so I could spot Spring Canyon Arch.

Well I deviated from my plans here. It was a lot hotter than I expected so I had drank almost all of my water and it was getting late. I decided to just head back the way I came. This cut at least 2 miles off of my planned route.

When I got back to the truck, I noticed I left my cooler open and all my drinks were warm as well as my sandwich was soaked. So I drove into Green River to for a cold drink and a bite to eat at Ray's. A nice end to a good day.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Great stuff, Desertrat. My wife and I did the loop last spring, and what a sweet little route that is. Don't feel too bad about missing Horsethief--besides the initial downclimb into the canyon and subsequent arch, it's kinda ho-hum. The best stuff is definitely on top of the Reef.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
Dave Smith Rock State Park, Oregon Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
lostlandscapes Smith Fork & Lake Powell, January 22-24 Hiking & Camping 22
balzaccom Desolation Wilderness: Grouse, Hemlock, Smith, Twin and Island Lakes Backpacking 2
Tater Head Crater Lake/Jedediah Smith State Park Trip Planning 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Nick Smith & Morehouse Ledgefork Trail - Uintas Backpacking 1
Bob USFS cabin green River Lakes, WY Trip Planning 0
B Thorofare loop (almost) Cabin Creek, Hawk's Rest, Ishawooa Creek 8/11-19 Backpacking 60
TeamJenkins17 Fox Park Patrol Cabin-Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 1
Outdoor_Fool Callisto Canyon Cabin Seward, AK Backpacking 8
Perry Day Hike to the Adams Cabin - Denied Hiking & Camping 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains Lost Cabin Lake Backpacking 0
leatherman Redfish Lake Cabin Winter Sports 7
Nick Bad case of cabin fever Trip Planning 8
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - Scenic Drive closure for several months General Discussion 0
TrailScot Golden Throne Circuit - Capitol Reef - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
WasatchWill Seeking Family History in Capitol Reef Backpacking 11
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J San Rafael Reef Wilderness. Rambling on the Reef March 30-31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
IntrepidXJ Capitol Reef: Pilot Canyoneering Permit System General Discussion 0
Titans Prescribed burn South Monroe Mountain- photos from Capitol Reef area Photography 0
Stephanie B Capitol Reef National Park - First Real Visit Hiking & Camping 6
WasatchWill Backpacking Pleasant Pocket Mesa, Capitol Reef NP Backpacking 15
JulieKT Capitol Reef Temple of the Moon vandalism General Discussion 8
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
S Spring Canyon, Capitol Reef-vehicle shuttle Sun, Mar 24. Meet Up (Members Only) 0
fossana Red Reef loop Hiking & Camping 3
WasatchWill Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 39
fossana Spring Canyon/Sulphur Canyon loop (Capitol Reef) Hiking & Camping 24
Jackson A Solo Stroll Near Capitol Reef Backpacking 17
Outdoors24 Overnight in Capitol Reef: A trip that ended early Backpacking 12
regehr Capitol Reef Star Party Trip Planning 0
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
J Capitol Reef Natl Park, Dayhikes March 29-April 2, 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Nethos Capitol Reef/Escalante 2018 Trip Planning 11
Reef&Ruins Elf Slipper at Capitol Reef General Discussion 1
Lincsco Capital Reef with kids Trip Planning 5
Ravialdo Capitol Reef in September? Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill Two trips in one at Capitol Reef Backpacking 12
Perry Capitol Reef NP - Navajo Knobs Trail Hiking & Camping 3
Perry Capitol Reef NP - Cassidy Arch from Cohab Canyon Trail Hiking & Camping 4
Perry Capitol Reef NP Hiking and Road Trip Suggestions Wanted Trip Planning 1
Parma Capitol Reef, Upper Muley Twist Day Hike Backpacking 19
J Dayhiking Capitol Reef Natl Park, Back to Utah! April 5-8, 2017 Hiking & Camping 4
M Capitol Reef backcountry recommendations? Trip Planning 9