slot canyons and/or arches

Dustin Gent

Since it will be cooling down south in the coming months, and I will be heading down south for some fall color action, i have some questions about slot canyons and arches.

I have been to Lower Antelope last year, Upper Antelope back in 2004 - and have also visited Zebra and Spooky and Peek-A-Boo (right before the cow incident). I want to get back to Zebra this fall, as well as finally visit red breaks.

In Zion, there is Red Hollow or red breaks that i was going to photograph last year, but went to yang flats instead.. eh..

anyways, what are some really spectacular canyons that rarely get visited? I know that kaibito canyon is off limits - even though people still go there.. i guess if you know the right people.. and for the record i do not like to trespass.

As for arches, I have been to sunset arch (or sunrise?), and been to the parks, but i am for sure doing coyote gulch this year. I wish access to eggshell arch was open, looks amazing.

I have been reading through the "game thread" about guessing where things are at, and such good spots in there. I am only on page 24 i think :).

Thanks for any help! Life's too short not to visit all these amazing places we have out there!

Since it will be cooling down south in the coming months, and I will be heading down south for some fall color action, i have some questions about slot canyons and arches.

I have been to Lower Antelope last year, Upper Antelope back in 2004 - and have also visited Zebra and Spooky and Peek-A-Boo (right before the cow incident). I want to get back to Zebra this fall, as well as finally visit red breaks.

In Zion, there is Red Hollow or red breaks that i was going to photograph last year, but went to yang flats instead.. eh..

anyways, what are some really spectacular canyons that rarely get visited? I know that kaibito canyon is off limits - even though people still go there.. i guess if you know the right people.. and for the record i do not like to trespass.

As for arches, I have been to sunset arch (or sunrise?), and been to the parks, but i am for sure doing coyote gulch this year. I wish access to eggshell arch was open, looks amazing.

I have been reading through the "game thread" about guessing where things are at, and such good spots in there. I am only on page 24 i think :).

Thanks for any help! Life's too short not to visit all these amazing places we have out there!
What are your criteria? It looks like canyons that do not require rappelling at first glance.

for now, yes. All of my crazy adventures are 100% photography. So anything super photogenic piques my interest. I am learning to rappel - obviously i wouldn't do this by myself.

Usually the decreased visitation means a little harder to get to. If you were at peekaboo and spooky, I think brimstone is very pretty. You just go to where you can't go without climbing (which is not far). Neon canyon, although not a slot has beautiful walls and the golden cathedral. By Kannaraville, Spring Creek is Kanarraville falls little sister. Though not as spectacular, still beautiful walls and hardly anybody there. We just went to Boundary Canyon off the West Rim which does require rappels but walked out though the end of Kolob Canyon to the narrows which you could do by going up from the Virgin. You'd come to a 15 foot rappel which would stop you. Parunaweep side canyons, Mineral Gulch, Rock, Poverty Wash. Red Hollow is pretty but short. Red Cave, upper and lower is very beautiful but has had recent access problems. Oh and back on the Burr trail, Little Death Hollow. And Hole in the Rock, Eygpt 3. Buckskin Gulch is very photogenic. I would like to get to Happy Canyon but can't tell you much but it's supposed to be great. Well, that's enough wandering!

wow, thanks a lot! I have a bunch of stuff written down in a notebook from my last trip down there in April of 2014. I hope to make a trip once every month during the late fall through spring. Just too much stuff to see though :) Guess that is a good problem to have?