Sleeping Pads

Wanderlust073

The magma 10 rei bag was a great addition, and sort of pushed me to think about where I could shave off more weight. Considering buying the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm which is painfully expensive but a lot lighter than my current pad. Getting harder and less enjoyable to play the pack mule with each passing year...

Curious what others are using?

The Xtherm is well worth it. I haven't actually used it, but I've used the Xlite plenty and going from pads without much insulation to pads with tons was life changing in how I approached sleeping outside. I almost never zip up my sleeping bag anymore because of it, I just use it as a quilt. It's amazing how much of a difference a warm pad makes.

As far as durability goes, the Xlite has treated me very well and if you search previous threads on the subject, that seems to be the consensus from the Thermarest X mattresses, including the XTherm. As much as I love Big Agnes' customer service, their pads always seemed to be springing leaks for me.

Cool I'll check out the Xlite. I was looking at the Xtherm instead mainly because its 70D instead of 30D at only a few ounces heavier, but if you guys are racking up so many nights on the xlite I'm guessing it's pretty tough lol.

At 5'-8" and 150-160 pounds, I don't need the Xtherm Large. As a side sleeper with decades of disappointment trying to sleep on 20" wide pads, the Xtherm Large is my best nights sleep on the ground. Period. Approaching 4 months total and 2 months continuous use. Totally satisfied user.
Free Bonus: My 20 degree bag on top of the Xtherm is so far comfortable to an observed 12 degrees. I'll be back if, when I encounter a lower temperature.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Xtherm is well worth it. I haven't actually used it, but I've used the Xlite plenty and going from pads without much insulation to pads with tons was life changing in how I approached sleeping outside. I almost never zip up my sleeping bag anymore because of it, I just use it as a quilt. It's amazing how much of a difference a warm pad makes.

As far as durability goes, the Xlite has treated me very well and if you search previous threads on the subject, that seems to be the consensus from the Thermarest X mattresses, including the XTherm. As much as I love Big Agnes' customer service, their pads always seemed to be springing leaks for me.
Seconded. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but I went thru 3 big agnes pads on my AT thru-hike (120 nights or so). To their credit, the customer service was excellent and they kept sending me new ones... but I decided I was sick of all that and switched to a Neoair. It's gone probably 200 nights now, cowboy camping, sleeping in the desert where there's lots of prickly stuff, and hasn't developed any leaks. Since that time, my buddy has gone thru a couple of Big Agneses. YMMV.

Seconded. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but I went thru 3 big agnes pads on my AT thru-hike (120 nights or so). To their credit, the customer service was excellent and they kept sending me new ones... but I decided I was sick of all that and switched to a Neoair. It's gone probably 200 nights now, cowboy camping, sleeping in the desert where there's lots of prickly stuff, and hasn't developed any leaks. Since that time, my buddy has gone thru a couple of Big Agneses. YMMV.

The Xtherm or the Xlite?

I have a Nemo Cosmo pad. About 3" thick, plenty of insulation. It is almost as big as my sleeping bag when packed. But it is the most comfortable I've been in the backcountry.

I picked up an Exped Synmat UL over the winter at an REI garage sale. About half the size of the Nemo. Haven't tried it yet.

I've been using the Xlite for a few years now and have gotten two leaks in it. Both have been easy to find and patch, so it's still going strong for me.

Klymit pads look interseting

I got this Klymit at Costco. Not as thick and plush as the Thermarest, but hey 50 bucks! It's super light, compact, and it even comes with a pillow.
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-Static-V2-Sleeping-Pad-with-X-Pillow.product.100292232.html
I bough the same Klymit pad from Costco and it's heavy and large packed down compared to my Therm-a-rest XTherm Large. But worst of all it's so thin and uncomfortable that I returned it. Nice thing about Costco is that you can order it free shipping and then return it if you are not satisfied.

I bough the same Klymit pad from Costco and it's heavy and large packed down compared to my Therm-a-rest XTherm Large. But worst of all it's so thin and uncomfortable that I returned it. Nice thing about Costco is that you can order it free shipping and then return it if you are not satisfied.

16 oz is heavy? It's about the size of a soda can when rolled up. To each his own I suppose. I've never had the luxury of a Therm-a-rest but my Klymit seemed comfortable enough.

Reactions: Bob
16 oz is heavy? It's about the size of a soda can when rolled up. To each his own I suppose. I've never had the luxury of a Therm-a-rest but my Klymit seemed comfortable enough.
Is if you are a gram weenie......my Neoair is 14 oz but cost $100........ $50 for 2 oz is not worth it in my book.. Id have tried the Klymit if it was around when I bought the NEoAir

I've used a thermarest prolite the last four years. It's lasted, but it's bulky and weighs nearly 1.5lb. There's not a lot of areas to shed weight left in my setup without blowing some major dough, so I'm just going for the low hanging fruit. Even the heavier xtherm gets me half a pound back.

I have the thermorest xlite but wish I had something with a little more insulation at times. I would get the Xtherm or what ever that thing is called.

Is if you are a gram weenie......my Neoair is 14 oz but cost $100........ $50 for 2 oz is not worth it in my book.. Id have tried the Klymit if it was around when I bought the NEoAir

That's like comparing apples and watermelons. The Neoair Xlite is an insulated pad and the Klymit at Costco is not. If they can pull that off for only 2 oz more weight, that's probably worth more than $50.

That's like comparing apples and watermelons. The Neoair Xlite is an insulated pad and the Klymit at Costco is not. If they can pull that off for only 2 oz more weight, that's probably worth more than $50.
The Klymit seems like a good low cost option for my son who could put a hole in any things.

Last edited:

It was a few months ago that I bought the Klymit and it looks like I was a little off on the size. I took some pictures for size comparison back then and the Klymit was probably 1.5" larger diameter, but 1/2" shorter than the Therm-a-Rest Neoair XTherm Large. But I remember the Klymit being noticeably heavier. Klymit is 72”x23" & Xtherm is 77" x 25"
But the reason I returned it was because I am a side sleeper and the Klymit was simply too thin. Either my hips touched the ground or I had to inflate it so hard that it was very uncomfortable. You can see a noticeable size and thickness difference on the pictures below.
Sleeping Pad Comparison 1.jpg Sleeping Pad Comparison 2.jpg Sleeping Pad Comparison 3.jpg Sleeping Pad Comparison 4.jpg

I don't have the xlite.... Have the regular one.....apple to apple. Bought it when it first came out Never needed/wanted a insulated one.