Sleeping Pads

I picked up the REI Flash Pad last year. It is 15 OZ without the strap to roll it up with. 3.2 R-Value, and really easy to inflate and deflate. It is a lot tougher than I thought for how light it is, as it did 2/3 of my season backpacking last year. Not noisy either like other inflatable pads I have used.

rei-flash.jpg

Ended up going with the XLite over the XTherm. So far very happy. It's comfortable and very lightweight.

Comparison photo above:
That is the Xtherm MAX. Full rectangular.
They also make a rounded and tapered version which I have. 24"x76" inflated. 20 ounces. Silent. 4 months + use, 2 months continuous, and counting.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the NeoTherm XLite for a few years now, and I think I'm ready to ditch it. The NOISE...I can't take it anymore. On a recent trip, I could barely sleep since both my tent-mate and I were using the NeoTherm. We woke each other up all night. I'm considering testing a few options with REI and returning the one I don't like. May even add some ounces to get something that gives me a better night's sleep.

Heheh it is a crinkly sounding pad that's for sure. Doesn't bother me solo. Does make me self-conscious around other tents but no one has complained so far.

I've been using the NeoTherm XLite for a few years now, and I think I'm ready to ditch it. The NOISE...I can't take it anymore. On a recent trip, I could barely sleep since both my tent-mate and I were using the NeoTherm. We woke each other up all night. I'm considering testing a few options with REI and returning the one I don't like. May even add some ounces to get something that gives me a better night's sleep.
How many nights do you have on the Xlite?

I promise promise promise that the crinkling sound goes away over time. Once I got maybe 30 or 50 nights on mine (idk how many exactly), it really quieted down. Now for comparison, I recently picked up an Xtherm and it's still loud as sin. Woke a couple friends up a couple nights ago and I felt terrible. I assume it'll quiet down too, given enough use.

All this to say - like everything else in the backcountry (or just life writ large??), the solution for me is just to get out there more often :)

It was a few months ago that I bought the Klymit and it looks like I was a little off on the size. I took some pictures for size comparison back then and the Klymit was probably 1.5" larger diameter, but 1/2" shorter than the Therm-a-Rest Neoair XTherm Large. But I remember the Klymit being noticeably heavier. Klymit is 72”x23" & Xtherm is 77" x 25"
But the reason I returned it was because I am a side sleeper and the Klymit was simply too thin. Either my hips touched the ground or I had to inflate it so hard that it was very uncomfortable. You can see a noticeable size and thickness difference on the pictures below.

I've had the Klymit Insulated model now for a few years but I have considered replacing it for that exact reason... It is perfectly fine if I am on my back or stomach (do not ask me how I end up on my stomach in a mummy bag though) but if I turn on my side (my preference) I do find occasionally its uncomfortable as it lets me sink to the ground and I wake up a bit sore.

How many nights do you have on the Xlite?

I promise promise promise that the crinkling sound goes away over time. Once I got maybe 30 or 50 nights on mine (idk how many exactly), it really quieted down. Now for comparison, I recently picked up an Xtherm and it's still loud as sin. Woke a couple friends up a couple nights ago and I felt terrible. I assume it'll quiet down too, given enough use.

All this to say - like everything else in the backcountry (or just life writ large??), the solution for me is just to get out there more often :)

I've had my Xlite for a few years, so it probably has at least 50 nights on it. I pulled it out and compared it to the Sea to Summit UltraLight Insulated Large that I just received. The Sea to Summit weights 3 oz more, but it was markedly larger than my regular size Xlite. R value on Xlite is 3.2; on the Ultra Lite, it's 3.3. The Xlite gets a slight nod on comfort, but the Sea to Summit is going on my next trip due to lack of noise. The Sea to Summit isn't completely noiseless, but it's a massive improvement. Don't have a trip planned until April, but I'll try to report back after actual trail use. I'm hoping to get rid of my Xlite and its terrible noise forever.

In my experience the XTHERM is quieter than the XLITE, significantly warmer, and no much heavier. I wouldn't say it's the most comfortable pad I've used but it's a good combo of warm, light and thus far durable.

So do you guy's tend to go for less weight as opposed to comfort?

I've always put comfort well above weight. For me, a sound night's sleep in the backcountry after hiking for hours and long miles trumps a few less oz's. But that's just me. With that being said...what are the collective thoughts on Sea to Summit pads? Namely the Comfort Light series?

The answer will depend on who you ask and what activities they are up to. I tend to be on the 'less weight' side of things to offset carrying camera gear and associated accessories and lugging everything around mountain terrain. I'm not a gram counter but ounces do add up to pounds pretty quickly, so I'll shave them off where it makes sense.

No experience with those items...

The answer will depend on who you ask and what activities they are up to. I tend to be on the 'less weight' side of things to offset carrying camera gear and associated accessories and lugging everything around mountain terrain. I'm not a gram counter but ounces do add up to pounds pretty quickly, so I'll shave them off where it makes sense.

No experience with those items...

I'm right there with you with the camera gear. I got rid of all my Nikon gear and big glass though, and went Micro 4/3 this time around. Don't get the big close up shots like I used to, but the ease of carrying around my Oly O-MD E-M10 ll and multiple small lenses has been a game changer as far as weight goes.

I have been spending a LOT of time on YouTube researching products. One of the videos said the Big Agnes Insulated Double Z was the way to go if you are a side sleeper (which I am) over the Therm-A-Rest insulated pad since it was thicker.

I'm getting older so I'm more concerned about comfort at this point (over weight). What are your thoughts between the two?

I have been spending a LOT of time on YouTube researching products. One of the videos said the Big Agnes Insulated Double Z was the way to go if you are a side sleeper (which I am) over the Therm-A-Rest insulated pad since it was thicker.

I'm getting older so I'm more concerned about comfort at this point (over weight). What are your thoughts between the two?

BA has some new pads that look like very promising alternatives to the Therm-A-Rest lightweight options.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Insulated-AXL-Air

8602c8ea8f95d8493a20ca58e7bcce9d.jpg
8c654962701da0cdb2bcf53fa9821c10.jpg

These have been my options so far. Started with the klymit pad in the middle for a multi day running event where cost was most important. Then went to the ultralight thermarest lite. Super light, a little noisy but I found it very narrow for a side sleeper. Final purchase was the BA Double z. Traded some weight and size in for comfort. Now my butt doesn’t hang off the side while sleeping, lol. On a long trip I’d probably go back to xlite for space and weight but for weekend stuff take the BA. PS Duncan couldn’t help but enjoy the sunlight I was using to light the picture.

Ouch.... $100 more than the insulated double z for 10 oz in weight savings.

Is it really that much better than the double z?

I tend to care more about weight and bulk/size than cost. Comfort for me is a fairly neutral consideration. I can't sleep on a 1/8" pad because I won't get any sleep but at the same time I don't need a luxurious 2lb+ mattress to get some Zs.

It's personal preference.

8602c8ea8f95d8493a20ca58e7bcce9d.jpg
8c654962701da0cdb2bcf53fa9821c10.jpg

These have been my options so far. Started with the klymit pad in the middle for a multi day running event where cost was most important. Then went to the ultralight thermarest lite. Super light, a little noisy but I found it very narrow for a side sleeper. Final purchase was the BA Double z. Traded some weight and size in for comfort. Now my butt doesn’t hang off the side while sleeping, lol. On a long trip I’d probably go back to xlite for space and weight but for weekend stuff take the BA. PS Duncan couldn’t help but enjoy the sunlight I was using to light the picture.

LOL, Duncan wanted to show how they are used. Never realized the Double Z was so much bigger in physical size. Thanks for showing the photos.

What are the actual physical dimensions of it in it's sack?

I tend to care more about weight and bulk/size than cost. Comfort for me is a fairly neutral consideration. I can't sleep on a 1/8" pad because I won't get any sleep but at the same time I don't need a luxurious 2lb+ mattress to get some Zs.

It's personal preference.

I'm just getting back into backpacking after a very long hiatus (decades).... so I have to buy all my gear at one time. Sadly I do have to think about budget on most gear. I did however splurge and get a goose down sleeping bag.

I'm going to try not to step on toes here, but I do need to be forthright. I would not feel comfortable buying a Big Agnes mattress, even though the new ones look quite awesome, at least not yet.

I've consistently found that Big Agnes mats are simply not as durable as competitors like the NeoAir. I went through three different pads on the Appalachian Trail. Now Big Agnes has excellent customer service and was happy to keep mailing me new ones as the old ones popped, but it got quite frustrating to have a product that didn't work reliably for me. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I got back from my thru-hike, used my pad (#4 by this point) for one night in Utah, and... you guessed it. I woke up on the ground.

I went out and bought a NeoAir later that month and have probably ~200 nights on it (along with maybe 20 on a warmer NeoAir I bought recently) with nary a leak. I couldn't be happier with my new pads. Since then, my buddy (who gets out maybe 15 nights per year tops) has gone through two more Big Agens pads.

So yes, I want to believe that the Big Agnes mats are going to be the equal/superior to the NeoAirs, but given my experience with them, I'll let other people test them out for a year or two before I run out and buy one. I just don't trust them not to spring a leak.