Sleeping Bag Alternatives

Nick

-
Being a rather large and tall person, I've struggled with finding good sleeping bags that actually fit. The North Face makes some good ones for big people but they're synthetic and kind of heavy. Lately I've been using Marmot down bags, they aren't as big as the North Face ones but they're down and way lighter. A little tight but they work. But I only have a 20 degree and 5 degree in that style and I need something for warmer trips.

This past weekend, I ended up sleeping out on my tarp, no tent and no sleeping bag for much of the night. I just had my nylon convertibles, socks, and down jacket. I used my sleeping bag as a pillow. I woke up after a few hours and pulled it out but only because I was a little cold on my legs. So that got me to thinking, what could I do instead of a sleeping bag. I've searched high and low for a roomy 40 degree bag with no luck. So what about a down blanket or down pants or something. Or maybe an actual blanket of some sort. Any suggestions?

That's why I got a sleeping bag that completely zips open...so I can use it as a blanket. Since it was so warm on Saturday night, that's exactly what I did...and it worked great!

I have mostly moved away from sleeping bags and use down quilts when possible.. much nicer, lighter and fully DIY :)

I'm having a hard time differentiating that Selk'bag video between an ad or an abstract music video. Looks awesome... too bad they're 4 fracking pounds. :(

Any pics/suggestions on your diy down quilt?

Mine looks like hell worn over :)
But I basically followed these two sets of instructions to cobble together something..
http://purebound.com/homemade/sleepingbag/
and
http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4361&highlight=down+quilt

Mostly followed the one on practical backpacking

I have also modded other sleeping bags by removing zippers and the hood and sewing up those areas so that it was a quilt with a footbox and not a sleeping bag.

I am 6'4" and broad as can be and was pretty happy with the Stoic Vamp. I posted a gear review.

BOSS - the local outdoor survival/primitive skills school uses wool blankets. what they do is fold it into a pack to carry their goods & wrap it with webbing that they make into straps. minimal. primitive. wouldn't work well for carrying camera equipment & such or instant access though. just thought i'd throw it in the thread as a concept. they tend to go on courses carrying only 4 to 8 lbs. (most likely not including the blanket weight)

BOSS - the local outdoor survival/primitive skills school uses wool blankets. what they do is fold it into a pack to carry their goods & wrap it with webbing that they make into straps. minimal. primitive. wouldn't work well for carrying camera equipment & such or instant access though. just thought i'd throw it in the thread as a concept. they tend to go on courses carrying only 4 to 8 lbs. (most likely not including the blanket weight)

Akkk wool is way too heavy.. and sucks to carry for too much distance in a carryall configuration (I have done it and don't want to again if I don't have to)...

I think I found my new sleeping bag/quilt. Tried it on at REI tonight, fit my big and tall ass quite well. 1lb 11oz, stuffs down to nalgene size, 45 degree rating (so 25-30 for me). Would have picked it up right away but someone tipped me off to the next member sale that starts on May 18th. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/746296/rei-travel-down-45-sleeping-bag

How much are we thinking the sale price will be? Did they tip you off on that as well?

And at what point do you just not bother bringing a sleeping bag? Thinking nothing more than a down coat and some convertible pants will do fine for me this weekend. Anyone ever gone that way?

Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 2.06.02 PM.png