Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions

Chuck the Mauler

Formally known as "kcwins"
Hey all. I haven't been on here much, but remember this being a great resource for intel. So here's what I was able to get. What do you think and would you make any changes? Is Day 3 too long? Is there better places to camp? Is this enough time without killing 3 old guys, lol?

We are entering at South Lake and have a permit to camp at:
Bishop Lake
Dusty Basin SEKI 42
Evolution Lake SEKI 34
McClure Meadow SEKI 33
Lamark Lake (Upper or Lower

Then exiting out of North Lake on day 6.

What say you Sierra experts? I've done the Rae Lakes loop twice via Onion Valley, so I'm familiar with the elevation and terrain.

Thanks,
CTM

I did the reverse of this in 2019 before there were specific permitted sites. I think we averaged 8-9 miles per day over 6 days, so your day 3 being 17 miles is going to make for very uneven mileage. On the other hand, Dusy and Evolution are highlights. If you have lots of alpine lake experience, then Evolution Lake will be gorgeous but not unique (plus we woke up to rockfalls thinking the end was nigh so maybe I'm biased against it). However, Dusy Basin is surreally magical and looks like a painting of a make-believe fairy land. So if you can alter the plan for more even mileage, I'd keep Dusy. I'd actually just go straight to Dusy on day 1 with an early start after sleeping at South Lake to get used to the altitude. Then don't kill yourself trying to get to Evolution Lake on day 2 and instead add a night in between.

Bishop Lake and Dusy are close together. Is there some reason you are planning to camp at Bishop Lake also? The latter has better views. While Evolution Lake is lovely, it has also become quite busy. There was a group of ~20 backpackers when I was there a month ago, playing music and acting like they were at a SoCal beach. If it were me, I would camp in a quieter (equally scenic) spot before that. There are many options.

Last edited:
How about we push to Dusy Basin day 1 to camp, then day 2 just past Evolution Lake, or would you suggest pulling up short of there? What would you suggest beyond Evolution Valley? Is there anyplace to camp either just before or after the trail junction at Muir Trail Ranch?

I still think Dusy to Evolution Lake is too much distance/elevation for one day. I'd actually stop short of Muir Pass on night 2.
Now, fossana could do the entire loop in 1.5 days, but you were talking about "3 old guys" taking 6 days, and you'd be more than half-way finished on night 2 if you go to Evolution Lake or beyond.

re: camping near the junction to Muir Trail Ranch -- from your direction, there will be a bridge crossing the San Joaquin about 1-2 miles before a bridge crossing Piute Creek. Instead of crossing the San Joaquin, stay on the south side of the river and there is immediately a huge camp SW of the bridge that will likely be empty if the PCT-ers have already passed.

Thank you both for the replies. I've had a chance to dig in a little deeper here (not my permit) and this is what makes sense to me.
I've talked with the group about the route, and they don't like the idea off off-trail travel (damn it). So this is what I've come up with.

Start at South Lake and hike over Bishop Pass and camp towards the south end of Dusy Basin.
Day 2 over Muir Pass and head down to Wanda Lake to camp night 2.
Day 3 Down Evolution Valley and camp near Evolution Meadow night 3.
Day 4 Continue north on the JMT/PCT to the junction just past Muir Trail Ranch and turn off to the Piute Trail. Camp near Hutchinson Meadow and Pine Creek Pass for night 4.
Day 5 Through Piute Canyon, through Humphreys Basin, over Piute Pass and camp at either Piute Lake or Loch Leven.
Day 6 head out North Lake.

Mileage wise, this evens things out a bit. What are your initial thoughts?

Yes we're all 50somthing, but I can still put in a 20 mile day when I have to....and enjoy it, lol.

A couple of logistic questions. Where specifically do you park/stage the vehicles? At North Lake is it Cardinal Village Resort, Sabrina CG or is there a trail head that's not showing up on my map, lol? Looks like there is only a footpath to North Lake off 168.
At South Lake looks pretty straight forward.

Here's a Caltopo map I'm working on.
caltopo.com/m/B3LC

There's a steep almost one-lane dirt road from 168 up to North Lake, and if you look on Google Maps a "North Lake hiker parking" is actually listed and you can see two parking lots and a horse area on satellite view. I remember dropping my partner and our packs at the trailhead next to the campground, then I went and parked to save just that extra 1/2 mile road walk with a pack.

Wanda Lake had some of the only mosquitoes of the trip around the last week of August, and they were among the worst I've ever experienced--just all of a sudden out of nowhere. Also, that lake is 11,500 so depending on where your crew is from that could be a very uncomfortable night's sleep. Of the places you listed, Evolution Meadows and Dusy will probably be the most crowded camping areas, but they're also both large and stunning.

6 days with a short final day felt perfect when I did this. As you're coming down the switchbacks after Dusy, be sure to stop a few meters off-trail at one of the best water slides I've ever seen:
IMG_4269.jpeg

A couple of logistic questions. Where specifically do you park/stage the vehicles? At North Lake is it Cardinal Village Resort, Sabrina CG or is there a trail head that's not showing up on my map, lol? Looks like there is only a footpath to North Lake off 168.
At South Lake looks pretty straight forward.
The N Lake hiker parking (primary lot) is here: 37.23063, -118.61870.

Recommend trying to get to S Lake either the evening before, or early in the morning to save you from having to park down near Parchers. That lot can fill up during the day.

The N Lake hiker parking (primary lot) is here: 37.23063, -118.61870.

Recommend trying to get to S Lake either the evening before, or early in the morning to save you from having to park down near Parchers. That lot can fill up during the day.
We'll probably camp near south lake the first night before starting the trip. Do you have any recommendations? What do you think of the route I've laid out?

I usually sleep in my car in the S Lake lot, but I've seen people do low-key bivies numerous times. On the road in there are campgrounds if you prefer, plus a handful of side roads where you can legally dispersed camp on Forest Service land. There is also a lot of dispersed camping on and just past Buttermilk Road, but the elevation is lower.

It seems like the route adjustment is more reasonable.