Shoshone Lake via Lewis River

Yellowstone 1 submitted a new Trail Guide:

Shoshone Lake via Lewis River Channel/Dogshead Loop

14866-30cffd78510f0e83649fcde0992313fe.jpg

The Lewis River Channel/Dogshead Loop trail is a very scenic day hike to the biggest backcountry lake in the lower 48 states that can't be reached by a road. The trail travels through burned an unburned forest to the shore of Lewis Lake then follows the banks of the Lewis River Channel all the way to the shore of Shoshone Lake and the Shoshone Lake Patrol Cabin.

The Lewis River Channel is a popular route for kayakers and canoeists to get from Lewis Lake to Shoshone Lake and it's many boat accessible campsites. It also has great fishing and anglers are common along the channel. Don't forget this is bear country as well, so it is advised that the guidelines for hiking in bear country are strictly followed.

Read more about this Trail Guide here...

As I've been researching on possible canoe camping destinations for summer, this is on the list as a potential, although the hauling raft up the lewis river upstream looks daunting.

Yeah, this is awesome. I've been wanting to do the float version of this for a while. Thanks for posting, Donnie. I'm pretty sure you don't have to line your canoe all that far up the Lewis River though. I think much of it is easy to paddle up. Looks like it's only about a 40-foot elevation change between the two lakes.

Yeah, this is awesome. I've been wanting to do the float version of this for a while. Thanks for posting, Donnie. I'm pretty sure you don't have to line your canoe all that far up the Lewis River though. I think much of it is easy to paddle up. Looks like it's only about a 40-foot elevation change between the two lakes.
Yeah it's pretty calm water for the most part. It does get more shallow and a lot swifter the closer you get to the outlet though. I was tempted to include canoe access options, but I figured it was a trail guide not a boat guide. However FWIW its a good option to stay at one of the campsites on the south shoreline for the first night if trying to get to the other side because of afternoon wind. Sites 8Q1 or 8Q3 are good choices because they are close to the narrows.. And if you stay on the north side of the narrows 8S4 North Grizzly Beach is a nice site. With a small toilet I might add…. :twothumbs:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 62
P Question about going around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone Trip Planning 0
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake and Mr Bubbles in May Backpacking 15
Bob Shoshone Lake to the South Entrance, Yellowstone Backpacking 5
HomerJ Yellowstone - Shoshone Lake - 2010 Backpacking 8
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstonne 2022, 2nd half Backpacking 4
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstone, 2022 Backpacking 6
TeamJenkins17 2022 Teton Wilderness/Shoshone National Forest Trip Trip Planning 0
Tim Valentine Shoshone Geyser Basin Paddle Trip 2010 On The Water 10
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
MTNgoat Visiting Shoshone Falls, Idaho and Cauldron Linn Everything Else 8
P Yellowstone Shoshone Geyser Basin trip Backpacking 5
Bob Shoshone lk - wind rivers fire Trip Planning 0
scatman The Old Faithful Loop - The Exploration of the Shoshone Creek and Firehole River Drainages Backpacking 39
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 10
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19