Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Now loved this trip report and Thanks for posting. It has been years since last near Shoshone Lake. Loved the photos. Wishing You the Best!

Just might soon go into the Teton Wilderness for a good while. Life is Great!

scatman

Now loved this trip report and Thanks for posting. It has been years since last near Shoshone Lake. Loved the photos. Wishing You the Best!

Just might soon go into the Teton Wilderness for a good while. Life is Great!

I'm heading up to the Teton Wilderness this Saturday. @Bob and I are going to do a loop out of Brooks Lake. If you happen to be in our vicinity, stop by and say "Hello."

Brooks_Lake_Loop_Overview_Map.jpg

Last edited:

scatman

^^^^
What? No 16+ mile last day? :)

You'll need to talk to @TractorDoc about that 16 mile day, I mean death march. :) We may have to tie one of those floatation barrels, like the ones that they use on sharks, to him in order to slow @TractorDoc down on our last day. :D

I think that the last two days of this one will test my limits even though they are not 16 mile days.

TractorDoc

You'll need to talk to @TractorDoc about that 16 mile day, I mean death march. :)
Oh C'mon Man! Those 16 miles will all be on trail and I suspect will have minimal elevation gain. Your pack(s) should be lighter too because all the pop tarts, oatmeal, sharp cheddar cheese, and orange Twizzlers should be consumed by then. :p

Its the 16 miles thru Hayden Valley that Hugh has planned for us that you have to worry about. o_O

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Scatman, it looks like you have a good trip planned. So going back to Younts Peak. Good for you! As of yet do not know what will be doing ... maybe back to the Soda Fork Mdws., maybe back to the Thorofare, maybe back to Fox Park, etc. Lots of ideas but no concrete plans. Maybe also into the Gros Ventres till September. Might be in the mountains till the snow flies in the fall, then south for the winter. And who knows where south but maybe the Chiricahuas, the Gila, or West Texas and to Big Bend. Again many many possibilities! But if indeed in the area will say Hi! Looks like a Great Brief Trip! Have the Best Time and Wishing You the Best!

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Have not posted this, but in the last year have been traveling all over. But got back in the Town of Jackson here in July. Good friend also here at present. Then time to go hiking. Less tourists around this summer. The wilderness is still out there and just as wild as ever. Again looks like a great trip Hugh!

scatman

Oh C'mon Man! Those 16 miles will all be on trail and I suspect will have minimal elevation gain. Your pack(s) should be lighter too because all the pop tarts, oatmeal, sharp cheddar cheese, and orange Twizzlers should be consumed by then. :p

Its the 16 miles thru Hayden Valley that Hugh has planned for us that you have to worry about. o_O

You're forgetting about that big marsh on upper Pelican Creek. :) I may have to pack a couple of additional meals to make that long 16! :)

The Hayden/Beach Lake/West Thumb will be a cakewalk! Light pack, adrenaline from grizzlies, headwaters of Alum Creek - Epic!

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Scatman , now as we get older, the thing is unattachment and going without. In my last year's travels ... have taken only like 30 pounds or so of stuff with me in my hiking, biking, and birding. Yes having a lighter pack has many advantages especially as one gets older. But since am older, the thing is if one has the time, to NOT rush things. To go and just enjoy, with whatever that day brings. The days of those 20 miles in hiking in oneday are gone for me. But in rushing one might miss so so so much do think. Go and Enjoy!

To Add... In the last year went to last summer in Alaska, the fall biking and hiking in Southern Utah, wintered near St. George where I biked and birded everyday, spring in Zion and the canyon country, then in May and June on the Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands, and now back in Jackson, Wyoming. And camping out about every single day.

Think if something happened, best place would be do think in someplace wild and not some freaking hospital. Much is still out there everywhere.

Go For It Bob and Hugh!

scatman

Scatman , now as we get older, the thing is unattachment and going without. In my last year's travels ... have taken only like 30 pounds or so of stuff with me in my hiking, biking, and birding. Yes having a lighter pack has many advantages especially as one gets older. But since am older, the thing is if one has the time, to NOT rush things. To go and just enjoy, with whatever that day brings. The days of those 20 miles in hiking in oneday are gone for me. But in rushing one might miss so so so much do think. Go and Enjoy!

To Add... In the last year went to last summer in Alaska, the fall biking and hiking in Southern Utah, wintered near St. George where I biked and birded everyday, spring in Zion and the canyon country, then in May and June on the Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands, and now back in Jackson, Wyoming. And camping out about every single day.

Think if something happened, best place would be do think in someplace wild and not some freaking hospital. Much is still out there everywhere.

Go For It Bob and Hugh!

I have to agree with you on the unattachment part (I need to do a better job of this), and slowing down to enjoy one's surroundings.

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Now for just myself, am combining taking less stuff with living with the land and utilizing those old indigenous ways that have known and have been taught at Rabbitstick. Maybe sometime just go into the wilds with just a small daypack and live all spring to fall plus and living in the wilds. Like they do on the 'Alone' series on TV but instead for a competition and for money, one is doing it just for themselves - being in the wilds longterm, and enjoying life! And any of us could do this if we really really wanted ... just go into the deep wilds, wander about in those deep wilds, and live. Think of going back to Younts Peak and the whole area not for just a few days but all the whole summer just living! Guess have done it before but how about with less stuff and letting the land provide since am older. Now with the right knowledge and desire ... any of us could do it do think.

You also have usually a late fall trip into the Teton Wilds Hugh? Where are you going this fall do wonder?

Bob

Trailmaster
I have to agree with you on the unattachment part (I need to do a better job of this), and slowing down to enjoy one's surroundings.
I can repack your pack Scat.... I'm sure I can get rid of something