Sheiks to Green Mask How To

SKLund

Not enough specific information to put in the resources section so it's here. No photos, just narrative. My camera was fritzing that day.

I have been in Sheiks Canyon in Cedar Mesa a number of times with the intent to go all the way down to Grand Gulch. It is an excellent short cut to the Gulch and to Green Mask Alcove and all that's there.

Every partner that was with me balked about going past the flat part of the canyon. The first small pour off can be intimidating to some people. The trick is to stay to the right of the wash but to stay off the slick rock edges. You'll will see cairns in places where they ought not to be, like on those aforementioned ledges or on the opposite wall. Stay out of there.

According to accounts I have read, there are three pour offs you have to negotiate, I can't relate except the last one because it is massive. The first thought when seeing it is, something like, "You mean I have to get around that!?" The method is the same as before. Stay to the right! This last section is where you need to pay attention because it is steep and loose in places. This is especially true coming up because it's easy to get off route and find your self in too steep terrain. Watch your route going down and take a look back as you go.

Once you are on the flats again, Grand Gulch is about 10 to 20 minutes down canyon. All the stuff you came for is (once again) on the right where the Sun is. Some of it is high so send your eyeballs where they need to be.

Our time for the round trip with plenty of time at the sites was around 6.5 hours. Hike time was 5 hours with 2.5 hours from Gulch to the flat part of Sheiks. We are fit folks in our 60's. Your mileage and time will vary of course.

I do not recommend this route backpacking unless you are going very light.

This is a fantastic hike. It may be the best day hike I ever done. Do it! You can.:wavespin:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ Sheiks Canyon & The Green Mask Hiking & Camping 4
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 2 - Todie to Sheiks loop Hiking & Camping 9
fossana Bullet Canyon/Sheiks Canyon loop (Bears Ears NM) Hiking & Camping 5
Jackson Sheiks and Bullet Canyons Backpacking 30
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
balzaccom The Green Comet General Discussion 2
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
futurafree Green vs. Colorado Rivers above confluence Trip Planning 5
Bob USFS cabin green River Lakes, WY Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper Sayonara, Quiet Little Green River General Discussion 8
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Gunnahafta Green River <> Big Sandy WIND RIVER RANGE Trip Planning 1
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
Tim Valentine Green River Paddle On The Water 6
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
O Green River/Stillwater Canyon question regarding water Trip Planning 3
Ugly Saturday in Black and White, with a smudge of Green Hiking & Camping 3
George_Washington_Hayduke 2 nights on the Green River Daily @13000cfs On The Water 1
frahminator Scenic drive: PHX to Green River Trip Planning 1
DrNed North Platte & Upper Green River Trip Planning 0
Nick The Green River Daily On The Water 6
balzaccom Blue skies and green trees in the Sierra Nevada General Discussion 0
Blake Merrell Wind Rivers 2016: Green River to Elkhart Backpacking 8
Nick Learning my ABC's on the Green River On The Water 8
JoshuaDyal Crossing the Green River by foot near Gates of Lodore Trip Planning 0
someguy Green River - B Section River Camp Hiking & Camping 8
kimbur96 Catamount Trail, Green Mountain Falls, CO Hiking & Camping 4
hatchcanyon Utah: Green River, Fossil Point Off Road 1
hatchcanyon Utah, Green River: Horse Bench Off Road 1
Dave Green River Lakes Redux On The Water 24
Udink Green River through Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons On The Water 14
Aldaron Winds - Green River Lakes to Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Tres Westbrook Green River Canoe Trip - Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom May 24-29, 2015 (Part 1 - Days 1 and 2) On The Water 5
Nick Green River Lakes On The Water 23
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River On The Water 10
andyjaggy Green River Lakes. Trip Planning 1
Aldaron Green River Lakes to Titcomb Basin Trip Planning 7
andyjaggy Green River Lakes in May Trip Planning 1
uintahiker Green Chile Sauce Resource Discussions 4
balzaccom Green Lakes, Hoover Wilderness Backpacking 5
isleroyaleguy Green River TH to Elkhart vs Elkhart to Green River Trip Planning 7
Laura Possible Dam on the Green River in WY General Discussion 3
DrNed Green River State Park to Mineral Bottom On The Water 4
Nanda Overnighter in Green river Backpacking 0
andyjaggy Green River Lakes TH to New Fork Lake TH Trip Planning 17
steve Invite Kayak/Canoe Trip on the Green River - May 8-11 Meet Up (Members Only) 7