Sheiks and Bullet Canyons

Awesome trip. I was in the Maze when that same storm system hit. Luckily had climbed down from the Overlook the day before.
Yeah, it sure had me wishing we had gone down on Saturday! We were prepared for rain because that's what the forecast was saying it would be like nearly all week. The snow really caught us off guard. Did you guys get rained on all day over there? If so, I'd imagine that's very helpful in such a dry place!

We got snow from about 6am to 1pm that day. The ranger told us about it when we picked up permits a couple days before so we expected it, but still a wild experience.

@Jackson ... What was the mileage on this trip?
That's a very good question. I didn't track it or anytving, but I thiiink it was 14-15 miles, not including the side-trips to ruins off the trail. Those wouldn't have added significant distance though.

That's a very good question. I didn't track it or anytving, but I thiiink it was 14-15 miles, not including the side-trips to ruins off the trail. Those wouldn't have added significant distance though.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackson,
We have been reading about the dryfalls in Shieks canyon and how to navigate or avoid the worst of them.
Did you two have any trouble with them on your descent? Thanks

Jackson,
We have been reading about the dryfalls in Shieks canyon and how to navigate or avoid the worst of them.
I don't remember anything tough in sheiks and I have been thru there a couple of times

Jackson,
Like Bob said, there isn't really anything too bad (assuming it's dry). If you can handle going down a few very short, fairly steep sections of sand/rocks, you'll be fine. It's all pretty straightforward as long as you watch for cairns and use trails. I could see it being trickier if there were snow or ice, but we got lucky and all of that had melted off by the time we got to that point.
IMG_20180319_103526_lzn.jpg
This image shows the worst drop, to my recollection. Gives a good idea of the kinda loose ground you're dealing with. I could see it being difficult for someone with limited mobility and/or balance, but otherwise, pretty much anyone could handle it in dry conditions as long as they take it slowly.

Edit:
There were a few walks down some sandstone gullies as well, but a good grippy shoe should make those easy as well. Our only complication was patches of ice on those.

Let me preface this with the fact that I have a problem with exposure, as I am kind of a coward. There are a few in and out and under large boulders up canyon from The Notch that were difficult for me with a full pack.
There is a section just past the Notch where you have to cross over to the left LDC, to avoid a dryfall, that has a skinny off camber trail along a pretty exposed cliff, which I did not enjoy. Others might not think twice about it though.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Bullet Canyon/Sheiks Canyon loop (Bears Ears NM) Hiking & Camping 5
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 2 - Todie to Sheiks loop Hiking & Camping 9
SKLund Sheiks to Green Mask How To Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Sheiks Canyon & The Green Mask Hiking & Camping 4
J Grand Gulch (Kane to Bullet) Water Availability Trip Planning 9
futurafree Muddy Creek and Kane/Bullet Trip Planning 10
RyanP Kane to Bullet in 4 days? Trip Planning 8
Nick Bullet to Polly's in 4 days Trip Planning 27
Kyle P Biting the Bullet on a GPS Gear 44
IntrepidXJ Kane Gulch to Bullet Canyon Backpacking 1
IntrepidXJ Bullet Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
alene Bullet Canyon Trip Planning 16
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
XID_AZ Coyote Gulch Northish Side Canyons Trip Planning 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
W Cow season in upper Paria canyons Trip Planning 0
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
Dhuff3243 Technical canyons suggestions for summer Trip Planning 0
fossana Arscenic, Slideanide, Clearwater, and Easter Pasture Canyons 4fer weekend Canyoneering 11
fossana Jumpup and Kwagunt Canyons lollipop loop (Kanab Creek Wilderness) Hiking & Camping 8
C Kolob Canyons finally open General Discussion 1
fossana Kolob Canyons (Zion NP) still closed for road construction Trip Planning 2
J Sierras to Bristlecones to Death Valley NP: Peaks, Trails, Dunes and Canyons Oct 26 to Nov 10, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
Ross Wet canyons compact cameras - recommended waterproof v non-waterproof Photography 8
Ross Invite Lake Powell canyons(Iceberg,Davis,Willow)or Cape Solitude/Canaan Mtn Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ross Anyone for Lake Powell canyons (Iceberg,Davis,Willow/Cape Solitude/Canaan Mtn Trip Planning 0
swmalone Escalante Canyons National Park General Discussion 59
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Udink Lost Park Canyons Hiking & Camping 3
S Escalante Canyons with kids Canyoneering 2
V Canyons of the Ancients NM Trip Planning 6
Wanderlust073 Fish and Owl Canyons overnight Backpacking 24
chandlerwest Zion Nat'l Park - Rim of the East Canyons Hiking & Camping 5
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
Ross 11 days of canyons in Springdale to Page area (second half) Hiking & Camping 1
Ross 11 days of canyons in the Zion-Page region (part 1) Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ Owl & Fish Creek Canyons Backpacking 6
Dave Fees coming for Big, Little Cottonwood Canyons General Discussion 0
J Glen Canyon NRA: Reflection, Cottonwood, Llewellyn Canyons Backpack April 25-28,2016 Backpacking 5
o2bav8 Dirty Devil River - Slot Canyons Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler A Week in Cedar Mesa's Canyons, Part 2 Backpacking 8
Scott Chandler A Week in Cedar Mesa's Canyons, Part 1 Hiking & Camping 1
Scott Chandler First Time to the Escalante Canyons, Part 2 Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler First Time to the Escalante Canyons, Part 1 Hiking & Camping 2
T 5 days in Utah Canyons Trip Planning 6
Udink Green River through Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons On The Water 14
Dustin Gent slot canyons and/or arches General Discussion 4
ram Canyons of My Dreams 3/19-20/08 Canyoneering 2
DrNed Fish & Owl Canyons Backpacking 11