Sheep Bridge/Lower JEM trail (Virgin, UT) Conservation Project

fossana

If any of you have enjoyed mountain biking, hiking, or wildlife watching on the Hurricane Rim trails in Virgin UT along the Zion corridor, local conservation organization, Virgin River Land Preservation Association, is pairing with Nature Conservancy to raise money to purchase a 419 acre private land parcel along the Virgin River to protect it from development. For context, Virgin River Land Preservation Association was responsible for acquiring the land for Confluence Park near La Verkin.

The parcel is currently permitted for a 275 house subdivision, which would dramatically change the wild and scenic character of Virgin (current population ~633), not to mention impacting recreational access. The section of the impacted trails is one of the most dramatic, as it hugs the edge of the river rim. The impacted trails are lower JEM, and Hurricane Rim near the JEM junction. If you want to help out, please spread the word or contribute to the conservation fund. Even a few dollars helps. We're hoping to start doing active outreach at the lower JEM trailhead over the holidays.

For more information see the organization website or Facebook page.
jem (1).jpg
photo courtesy of Janel C

sheepBrTrails.png

We saw a small sign with this info at the lower JEM TH last weekend. To say that this land is worth protecting is a huge understatement. We donated that evening while eating pizza at River Rock Roasting Co. Good idea to share this here. Thanks @fossana !

Thanks for contributing, @wabenho! It didn't sound like the local MTB org (who built the Hurricane Rim trails) was aware based on comments on their FB page, so trying to spread the word. I ditched FB and haven't ridden the trails since late spring, so was late to learn myself.

If any of you have enjoyed mountain biking, hiking, or wildlife watching on the Hurricane Rim trails in Virgin UT along the Zion corridor, local conservation organization, Virgin River Land Preservation Association, is pairing with Nature Conservancy to raise money to purchase a 419 acre private land parcel along the Virgin River to protect it from development. For context, Virgin River Land Preservation Association was responsible for acquiring the land for Confluence Park near La Verkin.

The parcel is currently permitted for a 275 house subdivision, which would dramatically change the wild and scenic character of Virgin (current population ~633), not to mention impacting recreational access. The section of the impacted trails is one of the most dramatic, as it hugs the edge of the river rim. The impacted trails are lower JEM, and Hurricane Rim near the JEM junction. If you want to help out, please spread the word or contribute to the conservation fund. Even a few dollars helps. We're hoping to start doing active outreach at the lower JEM trailhead over the holidays.

For more information see the organization website or Facebook page.
View attachment 71668
photo courtesy of Janel C

View attachment 71672
Will you guys be there Thursday? I plan on camping out there Wed night and riding JEM Thursday morning before stuffing my face in St. George. I love this trail and this area of riding.

I read your post again. I will donate online.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I live ~20 min from the trailhead, so I would ride with you if it's not raining significantly (50% chance in the morning, but not much precip expected). I try to be a good trail citizen and not ride when it's wet. :)

Thanks for contributing too!

I live ~20 min from the trailhead, so I would ride with you if it's not raining significantly (50% chance in the morning, but not much precip expected). I try to be a good trail citizen and not ride when it's wet. :)

Thanks for contributing too!
I would never ride JEM in the rain or after while it is still wet. I promise. I too am a good trail citizen and advocate of mountain biking and am well aware of the weather. If it is rideable I will, if not there are trails that are better to ride after they have received a little bit of precipitation like Church Rocks.

I use to live in St. George and appreciate all the hard work DMBTA has put in and those that did trail work before they existed. I also don't need a muddy bike in the back of my car. Camping out there because it will be easy and free as I roll through to Nevada.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk