Shawangunk Ridge, NY

Vegan.Hiker

I hope it’s acceptable to do a trail report in video format. If not, I apologize.

Most of you are from out west and probably haven’t hiked in my neck of the woods (NJ/NY). While you’re not missing out on much in comparison to the epic places you guys have out west, I figured I’d throw a video together so you can see what it looks like over here.

I’m a little embarrassed to post this since I’m not a DSLR wiz like most of you guys but I’d like to get better at video editing so this was an excuse to practice (though I didn’t have much footage to work with since I wasn’t planning on making a video or anything). Also keep in mind this footage all came from an iPhone.

This is from a hike I took with my wife and my dog Joey two weeks ago on the Shawangunk Ridge in NY, about an hour drive from my house (and about 70 miles from NYC). This was an easy 12 mile loop hike without much elevation change but I’m a sucker for ridge hikes.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Most stuff posted on this site is super professional looking so I was hesitant to post it. Noun Sequitur.. are you from the northeast?

Even for not a lot of flow those falls were very pretty. I've always wanted to do something in the northeast. my appetite is whetted once again. Thanks.

Even for not a lot of flow those falls were very pretty. I've always wanted to do something in the northeast. my appetite is whetted once again. Thanks.

If you do decide to visit the northeast, I'd suggest the White Mountains of NH if you haven't been there.

I also enjoyed the video... different than what usually is done for a report. Maybe you will be starting a new trend here. Keep posting your vids. I am from the Albany, NY area and now after watching your video, I want to go find this trail to hike, especally for the ice caves. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys. Most stuff posted on this site is super professional looking so I was hesitant to post it. Noun Sequitur.. are you from the northeast?
No... I'm from the West, but I lived in New York state for 10 years and loved it. Made several trips to Lake Minnewaska, hiked portions of the AT, and explored other points all over New England. It's a beautiful place.

I also enjoyed the video... different than what usually is done for a report. Maybe you will be starting a new trend here. Keep posting your vids. I am from the Albany, NY area and now after watching your video, I want to go find this trail to hike, especally for the ice caves. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Don. You mentioned that you live in the Albany area. So even though this hike was a few hundred miles from where you live, the very trail that made up the majority of this hike goes right to your backyard. The "Long Path" is a 347 mile trail that starts at the NJ end of the George Washington Bridge and ends in the Albany area at Indian Ladder State Park. The Long Path goes through the New Jersey Highlands, Harriman State Park (my backyard for hiking), the Shawangunks, and the Catskills. A buddy of mine thru-hiked it and it took him exactly 30 days. It's cool that we're hundreds of miles away from each other but our neighborhoods are essentially connected by this hiking trail. There's also another trail often confused with the Long Path called the Long Trail which runs about 300 miles through Vermont.

I have a video that I made of a hike in your area to Great Ledge and Panther Mountain in the Catskills. I highly recommend that hike and it's probably not too far from you. I'll private message you the video. Also let me know if you want details on setting up either hike. I'd be glad to share routes, coordinates, etc . Last but not least, I read in another thread you are a vet, so I want to say thank you for serving. I'm from a military family myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's cool that we're hundreds of miles away from each other but our neighborhoods are essentially connected by this hiking trail. There's also another trail often confused with the Long Path called the Long Trail which runs about 300 miles through Vermont.

I have a video that I made of a hike in your area to Great Ledge and Panther Mountain in the Catskills. I highly recommend that hike and it's probably not too far from you. I'll private message you the video. Also let me know if you want details on setting up either hike. I'd be glad to share routes, coordinates, etc . Last but not least, I read in another thread you are a vet, so I want to say thank you for serving. I'm from a military family myself.

I agree that it's cool that we are connected by that trail. Maybe one day I will get the chance to hike it going south since I can pick it up so close to home. First things first, I need a dehydrator and a good water filtration system. I have targets on items for both those that will fit the bill quite nicely. I am currently working on becoming a licensed guide here in NYS... Gonna focus on the more local areas to me including the Catskills. So yes please, any info you have I would be highly interested in. I will PM you my email and you can send it directly there. Thanks.

I hope it’s acceptable to do a trail report in video format. If not, I apologize.

Most of you are from out west and probably haven’t hiked in my neck of the woods (NJ/NY). While you’re not missing out on much in comparison to the epic places you guys have out west, I figured I’d throw a video together so you can see what it looks like over here.

I’m a little embarrassed to post this since I’m not a DSLR wiz like most of you guys but I’d like to get better at video editing so this was an excuse to practice (though I didn’t have much footage to work with since I wasn’t planning on making a video or anything). Also keep in mind this footage all came from an iPhone.

This is from a hike I took with my wife and my dog Joey two weeks ago on the Shawangunk Ridge in NY, about an hour drive from my house (and about 70 miles from NYC). This was an easy 12 mile loop hike without much elevation change but I’m a sucker for ridge hikes.

What trail(s) is this? I've made, and enjoyed, a few recent trips up to mohonk/minnewaska and I'd love to hike a trail that features both the ridgeline and the caves.

What trail(s) is this? I've made, and enjoyed, a few recent trips up to mohonk/minnewaska and I'd love to hike a trail that features both the ridgeline and the caves.

Hi Brendan, as soon as I'm on my laptop I'll PM you the hike details. Here's the snippet of the NY/NJ Trail Conference Map that covers this hike.

zu3ygeqe.jpg

You start on the bottom left hand corner at the conservation center. You take the Shawngunk Ridge Trail / Long Path along the bottom. Check out the view at Sam's Point and then make a half mile detour on White to check out the Ice Caves. Then back the the SRT/Long Path continuing east till you get to Verkeerderkill Falls. After checking out the Falls. Follow the Long Path (which now separates from the SRT) and head north on the High Point Trail (red) / Long Path. This is an awesome ridge walk all the way to High Point where you will have a 360 degree view and see the Catskills to your north. Shortly past there you'll descend to the High Point Carriage Rd then the Loop road carriage Rd for an easy return. On the way back you'll see signs for a side trail to down and back to Indian Rock which is another nice view. It's a great loop. I highly recommend it.

John