Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare

I'll throw out a few minor observations. I know many of my comments = spending more money.

I "upgraded" from "standard pack cover" like you have listed to a dyneema one about 8 years ago...shaves some weight.
I never use a knife/leatherman...but I suppose could be important to have.
I never use campsuds or soap. (I generally avoid cooking in my pot so I don't have to clean up. I repackage and use freezer bags.)
I got a lightweight clip on flashlight thing (rovyvon?). Only tried on one trip. So far so good.
I'm not a fan of the weight of jetboils, but I hear they are great. Could get a lighter weight stove.
I've found some camp shoes that are lighter. 6.14 oz for size 8.
Could find a smaller bottle of DEET?

I've never offered up advice on a shake down so hopefully I wasn't lame about my comments.

looks pretty good. I'd add:

do you need a hang kit and also a bear canister?
is one 100g fuel container enough for 8 days?
even if an inflatable pillow doesn't weigh much I never bother and just bring a pillowcase and stuff it with whatever
I'd not bother with the bellows, just use lungs
I don't bother with firestarter either, usually it's not a problem finding tinder
no rain jacket?
2 pair socks and underwear is fine, it's easy enough to rinse stuff in a creek
how is a film camera 1oz and a pen 3oz?

Good comments already. Might add:
REI lists min trail weight for that tent at 40 oz, not 36. Should add stake weights and guy lines as well.
Pretty heavy sleeping pad - probably don't need insulated for Sept, but don't know your sleeping bag specs
I bring 2 water containers, just in case.

I have tendency to be pretty light, but I also try not to be an "ultralight" stereotype. (Your backpack is huge! :lol:) That said, I have some much more actionable comments:

1. I despise pack covers - my preference is just a liner. Trash compactor bag (or two) works great. Only down and electronics really needs it anyway, so it can be smaller, lighter, and you don't have to put it on/take it off throughout the day.
  2. Probably no need for a bear can - Yellowstone NP sites should have an adequate bear hang. (If you have a site of particular concern, check the Backcountry Situation Report or call the backcountry office.)
  3. I'd go either filter or tablets, but not both. Personal preference.
  4. Doubtful that you need any bug protection in September - at least in my experience.
  5. I wouldn't bring any soap for just a week. Plain water should suffice - again completely personal preference.
  6. It could be pretty cold - be sure to keep an eye on weather. I think I'd be fine w/ the layers you have, but I know my wife would want maybe another mid-layer at least.
  7. If you're open to adding a little weight, I'd suggest a decent pair of binoculars. Lots of wide open spaces.
Definitely come back and share a trip report. Love that area, so I can never get enough. And you're going at about my favorite time, too.

even if an inflatable pillow doesn't weigh much I never bother and just bring a pillowcase and stuff it with whatever
I don't bother with firestarter either, usually it's not a problem finding tinder
no rain jacket?
Agree w/ these comments, too. Though I'd say 100g is safely enough for a single person to get a couple boils/day for a week.

No bag or quilt?
Why I need a shakedown, Forgot to add things to the list.

I'll throw out a few minor observations. I know many of my comments = spending more money.

I "upgraded" from "standard pack cover" like you have listed to a dyneema one about 8 years ago...shaves some weight.
I never use a knife/leatherman...but I suppose could be important to have.
I never use campsuds or soap. (I generally avoid cooking in my pot so I don't have to clean up. I repackage and use freezer bags.)
I got a lightweight clip on flashlight thing (rovyvon?). Only tried on one trip. So far so good.
I'm not a fan of the weight of jetboils, but I hear they are great. Could get a lighter weight stove.
I've found some camp shoes that are lighter. 6.14 oz for size 8.
Could find a smaller bottle of DEET?

I've never offered up advice on a shake down so hopefully I wasn't lame about my comments.
I generally eat breakfast out of the container, might slip down to an eyedropper and container of soap. I use my leatherman on a pretty regular basis. More the screwdrivers than anything else. Love my jetboil, though heavy.

looks pretty good. I'd add:

do you need a hang kit and also a bear canister?
no rain jacket?
  • Garcia canister won't hold more than 4-5 days of food and smellies. So I need to hang for the first few days.
  • Might bring a spare fuel, for insurance.
  • Bellows have proved to be a valuable luxury item on wet trips. The firestarters, I've liked having them on shorter trips.
  • Forgot to add the rain jacket
  • Probably will reduce on undies, socks.
  • Updated camera, sucking it up for that. Going with an old school Kodak Carousel of photos. lol
I have tendency to be pretty light, but I also try not to be an "ultralight" stereotype. (Your backpack is huge! :lol:) That said, I have some much more actionable comments:

1. I despise pack covers - my preference is just a liner. Trash compactor bag (or two) works great. Only down and electronics really needs it anyway, so it can be smaller, lighter, and you don't have to put it on/take it off throughout the day.
  2. Probably no need for a bear can - Yellowstone NP sites should have an adequate bear hang. (If you have a site of particular concern, check the Backcountry Situation Report or call the backcountry office.)
  3. I'd go either filter or tablets, but not both. Personal preference.
  4. Doubtful that you need any bug protection in September - at least in my experience.
  5. I wouldn't bring any soap for just a week. Plain water should suffice - again completely personal preference.
  6. It could be pretty cold - be sure to keep an eye on weather. I think I'd be fine w/ the layers you have, but I know my wife would want maybe another mid-layer at least.
  7. If you're open to adding a little weight, I'd suggest a decent pair of binoculars. Lots of wide open spaces.
Definitely come back and share a trip report. Love that area, so I can never get enough. And you're going at about my favorite time, too.

Agree w/ these comments, too. Though I'd say 100g is safely enough for a single person to get a couple boils/day for a week.
Reducing weight is nice, but ultralighting is a tough place to get to.
RE: bear can. Personal preference to carry. Other option was an Ursack, but that is out of budget for this trip.

Thanks for all the replies! This will be my longest Yellowstone and overall trip since starting. I'm definitely in the stage of replacing my novice gear for others now that I'm fully hooked!

• I would bring smaller quantities of bug repellant and Camp Suds. You shouldn't need that much of either. The travel containers at Target, etc are likely lighter than the stock containers anyway.
  • I do bring backup purification tabs. I've had the Sawyers get annoyingly slow on trips even with rigorous backflushing. I also carry a second water container just in case even if water is plentiful.
  • Second @regehr's comment on the pillow. I use extra clothing stuffed in my sleeping bag stuff sack.
  • As you go to replace gear in the future, if you care about weight I would ditch the Jet Boil and get a more minimalist stove.
    • The other thing I've found helpful for trip planning is an adapter that lets you decant fuel from one canister to another. You can fine tune the amount you bring and not have a bunch of partially-filled canisters laying around. There are multiple brands out now.
    • I also use a mix of cold soaking and freezer bag cooking to save fuel, or at times left the stove at home.
  • I will reluctantly carry a bear canister in areas with habituated bears or where required, but prefer an Ursack.
  • I own a pack cover, but use a contractor grade trash bag as pack liner instead. It adds more protection for river crossings or heavy downpours.
  • Can you pare down that medical kit (i.e. remove the book and scissors)? It's almost a pound and you have a knife. Things like duct tape and cloth climbers' tape will double for repairs and injuries (ask me how I know).
  • Do you have any supplies for pack or shoe repairs (beyond what's in the sleeping pad kit), like zip ties, duct tape, needle + dental floss or thin wire?
Have a great time!

I despise pack covers - my preference is just a liner. Trash compactor bag (or two) works great. Only down and electronics really needs it anyway, so it can be smaller, lighter, and you don't have to put it on/take it off throughout the day.
What do you think about the amount of weight added by soaked nylon packs? Heard it can add 1/2 lb+ I used to use a trash bag over the pack with slits cut for the shoulders. My girlfriend thought it looked "trashy" so bought me 3 oz Osprey cover. Have to admit it looks better and definitely more durable.
I'd go either filter or tablets, but not both. Personal preference.
I usually use Aquamira out in the Winds, but thinking about adding Sawyer. Sometimes the lake water has all sorts of "swimmies". Also have had the repackaged bottle leak on one trip.

For cleaning up, I've found that carrying dried soap on Dude Wipes or equivalent is pretty lightweight. I sleep better getting the sunscreen and sweat off.

What do you think about the amount of weight added by soaked nylon packs? Heard it can add 1/2 lb+ I used to use a trash bag over the pack with slits cut for the shoulders. My girlfriend thought it looked "trashy" so bought me 3 oz Osprey cover. Have to admit it looks better and definitely more durable.
That's a fair question - it's been a long time since I used a non-DCF bag and I didn't consider it. I still wouldn't like it, but you're definitely right that a cover might work better than a liner for nylon bags - at least the larger ones with more padding/surface area to absorb water.

Be sure to come back and share some photos/thoughts from the trip when you get back! As you can see, we have a lot of Thorofare/Southern Absarokas fanatics around here, myself included.

Hello!

I am doing an eight-day solo trip in the Yellowstone Thorofare Sep 4-11. Starting at Nine Mile, exiting the South Entrance. Hoping for some pack shakedown advice. Food not included.

I’ve done this trip, and agree with the comments that you don’t need the bear canister. All YPN sites have hanging poles and I’d go that route.

Hello!

I am doing an eight-day solo trip in the Yellowstone Thorofare Sep 4-11. Starting at Nine Mile, exiting the South Entrance. Hoping for some pack shakedown advice. Food not included.

Hey there! Sounds like a great trip. I'll be heading out in a few days! One note about the packing list- I highly doubt you'll need bug dope in September- in my experience 20 years backpacking here there is almost always a freeze in Greater Yellowstone by late August which knocks back the bugs. I'd be more worried about being cold- the weather could be sunny and balmy, but nights are likely to be cold, and if you get rain/snow it could be quite chilly. Hope that helps!

Now Flip, Have a Great Time! It is marvelous country. Yes you do not not need a bear container on the trip. Personally I trust the bears more then most people it seems. Stay alert and use your senses. Plus how many of the bugs are gone by this time. In this country have seen snow in every month of the year. Wishing You the Very Best!