Servo Sliders

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Has anyone ever considered packing a long a servo slider for shooting video and timelapses? For obvious weight and time concerns, you don't see them in use out in the backcountry very often, but I was impressed with how this guy, John Amorosano (one of the YouTube channels I follow), packed the extra pound or two along and used it in his video of a hike along sections of the PCT as seen below.

Oh, an be prepared for a lot of fist bump shots. One could make a drinking game out of how many times he throws in a fist bump shot. :smilecoffee:

In all seriousness though, after watching videos like this and even seeing others' beautifully captured still photos, I always find myself having an internal struggle between what I want when it comes to taking pictures and video on backpacking and other backcountry trips. On one hand, I want to keep the weight down and have a lighter pack, get more miles in, and/or be able to take time to just soak up the scenery along the way without spending a bunch of time setting up the "perfect" shots and so on. Even with a light-weight and compact set up with something like a GoPro package or Sony Action Cam that allows you to shoot a lot on the go, if you want to add more variety, it still takes a lot of time to mount and set all the angles needed to get such a variety of shots (perspective shots, action shots, time lapses, etc) to make a video like the one above.

On the other hand, watching videos like the one above and seeing others' pictures with all their manual camera controls and fancy lenses at work, can be inspiring really bring out the beauty of any given landscape far better than most point and shoot devices can and thus makes a part of me want to start setting money aside to save up for a setup that would allow me the option to shoot time lapses, as well as night shots with star trails and the milky way, light painting, motion blurred waterfalls and streams, and so on. I'm thinking GoPro or Sony Action Cam for video and some kind of DSLR, specifically for night-scape photography and the like.

In the mean time, while I continue to debate with myself between pros and cons of time and weight vs cost and variety, I'll continue to make do with what I have, enjoying the weight and space benefits and at the same time, enjoy the higher quality photos and videos others invest so much time and money in to take, edit, and share. As a guy who grew up enjoying the craft of videography and photography despite not ever having any real high quality cameras yet, I really appreciate the time it takes to set up artistic shots and then edit them all into something enjoyable to view, whether stills or video.

For any of you interested in learning more about a servo rig, here's a video from the same John from above highlighting his particular rig:

And here's a link to the kit I think he used, specifically for small compact video cameras like a GoPro or even a phone.

https://www.servocity.com/html/channel_slider_kit_a__637108_.html#.VPpoN2TF_uw

Back