Second Journey into The Maze : Cowboy Cave

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
April 23, 2019

To quote Coulam and Schroedl, "Cowboy Cave, a stratified Archaic cave site in southeastern Utah, has been a cornerstone in defining the Archaic occupational chronology of the Colorado plateau." For me, I wasn't so much interested in visiting the site because of how it enabled archaeologists to "connect the dots" time-wise. Rather, I was more intrigued by the split-twig and clay figurines that were found there.

Replicas located in the Hans Flat Ranger Station :

P1040180.JPG

P1040181.JPG

I guess I tend to think that the ancient peoples who lived in the Four Corners were fully occupied with the necessities of daily life...Water, crops, hunting, shelter, health, etc. I don't think of them as having time to spare for non-essential items such as figurines. Whether these pieces were for religious or ceremonial purposes or were purely for play, we don't know for sure. But, for me, it's one more thing that makes me feel as if we're not so far apart. They had time to create and enjoy objects that weren't strictly utilitarian. I can relate to that!

Truth be told, Cowboy Cave (and the adjacent Walters Cave) doesn't offer much to see. The petroglyphs and pictographs are scant and faded and Lorin Wilson left more of a lasting impression than they did.

Faint picto :

P1040161.JPG

Indistinct petro :

P1040164.JPG

One of many of Lorin's signatures :

P1040168.JPG

We did count, though, four grinding stones and one sharpening stone in the caves :

P1040156.JPG

As well as a couple pieces of worked rock :

P1040174.JPG

Other than that it was left up to us to imagine how it was to live in the cave. It certainly offered a pleasant view :

P1040173.JPG

The following day would take us to The Maze proper!

If you're interested to learn more about Cowboy Cave you can check out the links below.

http://cdmbuntu.lib.utah.edu/utils/getfile/collection/USHSArchPub/id/5509/filename/5544.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/HorseshoeBook.pdf

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=420891&q=cowboy+cave

http://www.jqjacobs.net/rock_art/barrier1.html

There's apparently a decent dino trackway near cowboy cave, but I haven't had the opportunity to go look for it yet.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Deadman's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : The Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Lands End Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 11
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Butterfly Bend and Chaffin Geyser Hiking & Camping 0
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
forest dweller Invite update / edit - have off second and third week in August - wanting to backpack in Glacier, Olympic or Yellowstone, hinges on finding companions. Meet Up (Members Only) 37
Yvonne Hiking Yellowstone - 100 miles the Second Trip Planning 21
mikejones3 Northfork to Second Lake Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains Backpacking 5
Ugly Second Glances at Silver Lake Backpacking 14
AbinadiWitness Return to THE FORMATION, etc. - The Second Time Was, Indeed, the Charm - 18-20 May 2017 Hiking & Camping 5
Ross 11 days of canyons in Springdale to Page area (second half) Hiking & Camping 1
frahminator Journey Through The Maze - April 2017 (Day 1 of 5) Backpacking 4
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
JBPHXAZ Crossing Spanish Bottom from Needles to the Maze (and back) Trip Planning 13
RyanP Maze questions---Sweet Alice Canyon, etc Trip Planning 23
TrailScot 10 days in The Maze - April 2019 Backpacking 22
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
wesleyS The Maze road conditions Off Road 0
G The Maze! 6-day backpack trip Backpacking 5
ramblinman The Maze in March Backpacking 4
RyanP The Maze Trip Planning 28
Udink Maze II Hiking & Camping 4
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Nick The Maze III Off Road 28
Udink Maze Overlook to Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend III Hiking & Camping 6
MVS Jeep Driving in The Maze General Discussion 3
Joey 10 Days in the Maze (video) Backpacking 21
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend II Hiking & Camping 7
Joey Enjoying the Maze, April 2015, Part 2 Days 6 - 10 Backpacking 11
Joey Enjoying The Maze, April 2015, Part 1, Days 1-5 Backpacking 13
steve Invite Last-minute Maze Figure 8 packrafting trip this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 3
Ross Six days in The Maze (with some Arches to warm up) Hiking & Camping 4
Joey Canyonlands's Maze and Fins Loop Backpacking 14
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
Bob Maze - Canyonlands Backpacking 10