Gear Review Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Deadeye008, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 Hambone

With all of the talk about water filters I thought I would get my Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter out and test it. I bought this filter about a month ago or so and have not had a chance to use it in the field. The kit comes with the water filter, a 64 oz bag, a 32 oz bag, a 16 oz bag, and a syringe to back flush the filter. The filter comes with Sawyer's 1 million gallon gaurantee. I tried filtering 1 liter of tap water and it took about 40 seconds with moderate squeezing pressure. See video below. The filter can be used with the included bags or it can be used with any plastic bottle that has a standard water bottle opening on it. I tried it out with three different bottles I had in the house and it fit on all three. Field weight of the filter is a light 3 oz which includes the filter and one of the bags. Here are some pics and the video.

IMG_2388.jpg

On a 2 liter bottle
    IMG_2389.jpg

On a SmartWater bottle
    IMG_2390.jpg

On a generic water bottle
    IMG_2391.jpg

Keliko, Nick and Bill like this.
  2. kwc

kwc Member

The filter works fine ... the squeeze bag (32 oz size) is fragile. I have read reports in other forums about the bag coming apart at the seams, probably from squeezing "too hard". My squeeze bag didn't fail like that, but it developed a couple small holes where the plastic spout on the inside rubbed against the inside of the bag.

Attached Files:

3. Jimmy

Jimmy Member

I have a Sawyer Mini and use a 64 oz squeeze bag. Takes about 2 minutes to empty the bag with moderate pressure and rolling the bag from the top down.

My buddy brought a Sawyer squeeze on our recent Glacier bakcpacking trip. It's slightly heavier (< 0.5 oz) heavier than the mini. The annoying thing about the squeeze is that the white top popped off constantly when filtering from a bag into another container. I'll stick to my Mini.