Sawtooths in June

If you go to Hell Roaring Lake, you'll want to start from the lower TH. The drive to the upper TH isn't worth it IMO. I just called the Sawtooth NRA office in Stanley, they're reporting the trail is snowed over about a mile past Hell Roaring Lake. I doubt the Alice-Toxoway loop is passable without crampons and an ice axe, that pass can be one of the last ones to open. Just full of good news today aren't I.

If you go to Hell Roaring Lake, you'll want to start from the lower TH. The drive to the upper TH isn't worth it IMO. I just called the Sawtooth NRA office in Stanley, they're reporting the trail is snowed over about a mile past Hell Roaring Lake. I doubt the Alice-Toxoway loop is passable without crampons and an ice axe, that pass can be one of the last ones to open. Just full of good news today aren't I.

Awww crap! Do you have any recommendations based on that? What about that route Lisa mentioned up to Sawtooth Lake? Think that would be doable in a bit over a week from now?

I'm actually going up to Stanley the day after you leave and planned to do some hiking. I'll call the forest service office again tomorrow and inquire about possible trails.

The Sawtooth Recreation Report hasn't been updated since May 24th, but you can call them and ask about trail conditions. The number to the Stanley Ranger Station is (208)774-3000. They're open M-F 8:30-12:00, and 1:00-4:30. You might want to ask them whether the road to Grandjean is open. It's described as a decent gravel road, so you could probably drive Audra's car, but I would verify that when you call. Also, there are a few stream crossings on the Trail Creek side, so I would ask how high the water is running. Here's a link to a page that shows a map of the route:

http://idahocampgroundreview.com/grandjeantrailhead.html

And a link to a page about Observation Peak. I'm not much of a peak bagger, but when it's an easy hike with amazing views, why not?

http://www.summitpost.org/observation-peak/690885

The road to Grandjean is open, I was up there about a month ago and it is a decent road, lots of people pull their trailers up to the campground. You could hike along the South Fork of the Payette which stays low in elevation. You won't be able to get up to the Trail Creek Lakes or Observation Peak just yet.

the Owyhee (river) is a desert canyon area not too far from Boise. However, I see you have since posted that you want to do a solo, ALPINE hike and the Owyhee area is far from that.

http://video.idahoptv.org/video/2184317866/

(see 17:40 for some hiking examples)

Looks cool! I'm not really set on a solo or an alpine trip, that's just what it's probably going to end up being. I think I'll probably stick with the Sawtooths this time around though. Thanks for the link.

The Sawtooth Recreation Report hasn't been updated since May 24th, but you can call them and ask about trail conditions. The number to the Stanley Ranger Station is (208)774-3000. They're open M-F 8:30-12:00, and 1:00-4:30. You might want to ask them whether the road to Grandjean is open. It's described as a decent gravel road, so you could probably drive Audra's car, but I would verify that when you call. Also, there are a few stream crossings on the Trail Creek side, so I would ask how high the water is running. Here's a link to a page that shows a map of the route:

http://idahocampgroundreview.com/grandjeantrailhead.html

And a link to a page about Observation Peak. I'm not much of a peak bagger, but when it's an easy hike with amazing views, why not?

http://www.summitpost.org/observation-peak/690885

Thanks for the info everyone. At this rate I think I'm going to plan on Hellroaring and Imogene and just see how far up I can make it before the snow stops me. The Alice Toxaway Loop would be awesome but don't want to try my luck on the passes. Let me know if you guys hear anything else on conditions!

Haha. I just called them and they're still saying it's snowed over a mile past Hellroaring. That's some mighty slow melting going on! I think I'm going to go for it. Maybe get to the trail head Friday afternoon and get into Hellroaring then try to make it up to Imogene the next day. If anyone hears any other conditions, let me know!

I agree, there has been some serious melting going on for the past week and I think you should be able to make it to Imogene with minimal snow. I doubt they've gotten updated trail reports. The weather this weekend should be fantastic. I'm headed to that same trail next week, crossing my fingers we can make a loop past Imogene to Edith and then down to Farley lake.

WoohooOO!! Just got back from the Sawtooths and had a hell of a good time up there. Didn't start hiking until 3pm on Friday so camped at Hellroaring Lake the first night. Only one other couple at the lake. On Saturday I hiked up to Imogene Lake. A few snow drifts here and there and then a big snowfield right before arriving at the lake but totally doable. The east shore of the lake is impassable but the north and west are golden and great campsites available. I apparently missed seeing Imogene 70% iced over by one day. It melted that fast. Hell, I passed by a huge cluster of ice on my day hike up to one of the upper lakes and when I came back through 2 hours later, all the ice on Imogene was completely gone. The next lake up was still 80% iced over. Killer, killer trip. I don't have a proper computer with me for the next few days (Windows, LOL!) but I pulled this one off my card from my camp at Imogene Lake last night..

imogene-lake.jpg

In his book Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes, Gary LaFontaine tries and tries to hit the "ice out" day on lakes and calls it the most productive day of fly fishing for high lakes, in the year.........if one knows how to fish it. I hope you took advantage of it.

In his book Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes, Gary LaFontaine tries and tries to hit the "ice out" day on lakes and calls it the most productive day of fly fishing for high lakes, in the year.........if one knows how to fish it. I hope you took advantage of it.

I've heard the same thing elsewhere. Unfortunately, neither Hellroaring, Imogene or Mushroom had many fish in them. Or any at all in the case of Mushroom Lake. I walked the shores and sat and read for hours, looking into the water and never saw a fish. In the evening, just after dusk, Hellroaring and Imogene had some rises but very few. Maybe a dozen in the entire last hour of the day at Imogene from my viewpoint. I did try the fly rod on the outlet of Hellroaring though. Got one on in the river but lost it, no luck with the few risers near the outlet in the lake. I get the feeling that these lakes just don't have healthy populations. A lake like either of those in the Uintas would be boiling after sunset...