Sawtooths in August

dfcooper

Dave
I mentioned that those of you who shared your reports and photos had inspired me. Last Spring I talked a redneck friend of mine (not sure if he's still married) and a couple hillbillies from Kentucky into joining me on a loop beginning at Pettit Lake, wandering past Alice, Toxaway, Edna, Farley, and back again to Pettit. It's an understatement to say we had a grand time. I'm envious of all of you who have relatively easier access to the wide, open spaces of the West. In the East we obviously don't have the terrain and vastness you enjoy. The Appalachians are pretty, especially in the Fall, but the Sawtooths are just stunning in comparison. I hope you'll indulge my poor photographic skills... 1.jpg

Lake Pettit
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

My daughter. In some of the photos there's a hint of smoke from the fires in Oregon.
14.jpg

15.jpg

El Capitan approaching Alice Lake.
16.jpg

The deer were a pleasant surprise and for the most part indifferent to our presence. We saw them throughout our trip.
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

I'd planned to do a time-lapse of the Milky Way but erred in calculating the number of exposures and volume of memory required. The photo above was made while setting up and the one below is the last shot taken. If you look closely, slightly below center right we caught a meteor.
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Twin Lakes.
25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Stopping for lunch.
30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Toxaway Lake.
34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

Looking back on Toxaway enroute to Edna Lake.
37.jpg

Atop the pass heading for Edna Lake.
38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg
41.jpg

42.jpg

Waiting for our wounded.
43.jpg

Edna Lake had the most and largest of the fish we caught.
44.jpg

Rendezvous Lake.
45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

50.jpg

Edith Lake.
51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

One of us was a little slow.
54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Farley Lake was gorgeous.
58.jpg

59.jpg

Our last morning on the trail.
60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

...and back to Pettit Lake.
69.jpg

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 12
Beautiful! But your friends need to work on their "Kentucky Hillbilly". Less active wear, more cut-off shorts, cigarettes and mullets.

A Sawtooth classic for sure. Thanks for the pics, makes me want to be there right now.

Nice! I really want to make it out there, and airfare into Boise is really reasonable. Enjoyed the report, thanks!

I did this in July. My favorite part of the trail was from Alice Lake over the pass and down to Toxaway. My least favorite part of the trail was Toxaway back out to Pettit. It was a long boring haul through dry and dusty forests. I dis-enjoyed it so much when I go there again I am going to hike from Toxaway back over the pass and back down to Pettit Lake through Alice Lake.

this is one of my favorite places in that range. thanks for posting. sorry you had to go while it was smoky.

Dave, this photo may look familiar to you. It was taken in mid-October of 2013. The pass was "fun" going over in all that snow.
Good report.

Attachments

• DSCN0183.JPG
    DSCN0183.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 30
Love it!
The more I see of the Sawtooths the more I like.
Right now it leads the list for next year's adventure.
Thanks for sharing
IRG

Dave, this photo may look familiar to you. It was taken in mid-October of 2013. The pass was "fun" going over in all that snow.
Good report.
I'm guessing that's Alice Lake -- gorgeous photo. I'd like to give the Sawtooths a try about the same time of year. Thanks for sharing.

I did this in July. My favorite part of the trail was from Alice Lake over the pass and down to Toxaway. My least favorite part of the trail was Toxaway back out to Pettit. It was a long boring haul through dry and dusty forests. I dis-enjoyed it so much when I go there again I am going to hike from Toxaway back over the pass and back down to Pettit Lake through Alice Lake.
I agree. The leg between Alice and Toxaway was my favorite by far. Still, it was ALL good!!

Did some of this same hiking about 5 years ago. Great views and I loved the crystal clear lakes with the great reflections of the mountains.

Ah.......Idaho in the summer......the usual smoke.....hard to get away from it most summers. You just touched the tip of the tooth's......much much more.....look past the trails........

Ah.......Idaho in the summer......the usual smoke.....hard to get away from it most summers. You just touched the tip of the tooth's......much much more.....look past the trails........
Bob, I want to confess your trip and subsequent video were a huge inspiration. I watched it by chance last Spring, and spent the next several months planning and coordinating my wee, little trek. I spent a summer in Boise a couple years ago, visited Redfish Lake, and a few spots further north near McCall and fell in love with the area. I'm working on another trip for next year and plan to spend at least half my time "off trail". Time is precious and I've got miles to go! Again Bob, thank you for opening my eyes to all the adventures to be had. Dave

Reactions: Bob
Great report. I really like that area. Nice photo of the sunburst reflection in the water!

tv

Just came across your trip report. Nice job. But gosh, those pack look heavy. A few years ago in the BWCA we came across some guys from Harlen County and they were wearing cut off jeans and smoking. Their canoes were loaded so heavily they only had a couple of inches of freeboard. They were a lot of fun though.