Sawtooth Mountains ........... Get ready for summer

Beautiful! I haven’t been to the Sawtooths and hadn’t even heard of it until seeing reports here on BCP. How does it compare to the Winds or Tetons in terms of scenery, difficulty, trails, etc?

WSP_Scott ........ can do a trip over there if we could tear Scat away from Yellowstone

Need to get out that way before I get too old. Pioneer range looks special too. Never enough time. I'm probably as attached to the Winds as Scat is to Yellowstone.

WSP_Scott ........ can do a trip over there if we could tear Scat away from Yellowstone

Are there grizzlies in the Sawtooths? You could lie to me and say that there are to get me to go. Of course, we could snag a few from the GYE and transport them over to the Tooths. The Sube might be able to hold a couple sub-adults. :)

I thought you might be posting this as a warning as to what lay ahead at the headwaters of Hidden Creek. o_O

Thanks for these photos! Really beautiful. Can you tel us what your basic itinerary was?
Iron Creek Th to Goat lk, Thompson Pass, Stevens lks, Baron lks, Alpine lk, Warbonnet lk, Oreamos lk, Packrat Pass, lk Kathyrn, Up redfish lks, Cramer lk, Edna lk, Spangle lk, Three Island Lk, Surprise lk, Timpa lk, Middle Boise to Mattingly Creek, end at alturas lk.

Are there grizzlies in the Sawtooths? You could lie to me and say that there are to get me to go. Of course, we could snag a few from the GYE and transport them over to the Tooths. The Sube might be able to hold a couple sub-adults. :)

I thought you might be posting this as a warning as to what lay ahead at the headwaters of Hidden Creek. o_O
Blacks but dont think griz... maybe wolves.

Blacks but dont think griz... maybe wolves.
Weird, I would have assumed griz would be in ID since they are in the North Cascades and the GYE and the Glacier area. Are the Sawtooths that isolated from the other mountain ranges?

Weird, I would have assumed griz would be in ID since they are in the North Cascades and the GYE and the Glacier area. Are the Sawtooths that isolated from the other mountain ranges?

Some indication that a few have wandered into the Frank Church and Bitterroot areas. Given time and on their own accord they could reach the Sawtooths at some point.

Greenies sued and now the US Fish/Game has till 2026 to come up with a pl;an for Grizzlies in the Bitteroots....
As it stands now in Idaho:
aaaaa.jpg

Last edited:
I'm turning 30 late in June, and I'm really looking forward to celebrating by going on a big trip. I've been watching the snowpack, and it looks like it's melting away. What do you think, am I up in the night? I'm really hoping to get up there to celebrate but open to suggestions if anyone has one!

Edit: Here's the Caltopo Link - Click here to view on CalTopo

Last edited:
Post a route in caltopo or such...png is of no use.

Would be a good trip... good starter for the Sawtooths.... well used trails. Snow? Dont know. Was melting fast, but Ive had about 2 icnes snow and inch rain the last week at the house so the melt has slowed. The snotel says should be gone by July1 as average. Probably get snow on passes.

aaScreenshot 2024-05-23 202530.jpg

Back