Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes

Parma

@parma26
July 9-11, 2020
My brother and I decided on doing this loop in the Sawtooth Mountains:
Day 1- Redfish Lake to Hell Roaring Lake (10.25 mi)
Day 2- Hell Roaring Lake to Edna Lake (10 mi)
Day 3- Edna Lake to Redfish Lake (14.25 mi)
This ended up being a total of 34.5 miles.
We originally planned to make this 4 days/3 nights, but on day 3 we were on a decent pace and decided to hike all the way out instead of camping at one of the Cramer Lakes.

Here's our journey:
IMG_0997.JPG
We started at Redfish Lake, this is looking south at the ridge we would be hiking up and over.

IMG_0999.JPG
Here are the happy explorers ready for the fun!

IMG_1003.JPG
Approaching Redfish Inlet on the south end of Redfish Lake.

IMG_1004.JPG
This is a new bridge they just built that crosses the stream.

IMG_1005.JPG
So new that they haven't even finish the stairs to the bridge yet. They did finish the stairs while we were out, but I forgot to take a photo of the completed work...dang it!

IMG_1007.JPG
This is on the trail looking north toward Redfish Lake Lodge where we took the boat ride across.

IMG_1009.JPG

Crossing into the wilderness.

IMG_1016.JPG
Made our way up and over the ridge, the trail was covered in lots of deadfall. This is Hell Roaring Lake where we would camp for the night.

IMG_1024.JPG
Hell Roaring Lake

IMG_1029.JPG
Made our way to Imogene Lake where we would stop for lunch. Great spot for lunch or to make camp...very nice lake!

IMG_1033.JPG
Now it's time to hike up and over the pass.

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG
Looking back at Imogene Lake

IMG_1039.JPG
Made it to the top, this is looking over the other side at Sand Mtn.

IMG_1040.JPG
Looking back up at the pass, Imogene Lake is on the other side of this pass.

IMG_1051.JPG
This is the way.

IMG_1053.JPG
A couple cornices/drifts that I thought looked pretty cool.

IMG_1055.JPG
Made it to Edna Lake where we would make camp for the night.

IMG_1058.JPG
Here's our camp.

IMG_1064.JPG
The next day we found Hidden Lake!

IMG_1065.JPG
Found a great stream to fill up our water...this water was so cold and crystal clear! Amazing tasting water too!

IMG_1069.JPG
Looking up at the pass to Cramer Divide.

IMG_1071.JPG
Atop Cramer Divide looking over some Sawtooth goodness!

IMG_1078.JPG
I believe they call this The Temple.

IMG_1082.JPG
After hiking down from Cramer Divide, we made it to Upper Cramer Lake. Starting at Cramer Divide we started to see many many more people. Cramer Lakes are very popular. before this we didn't see many people.

IMG_1084.JPG
Another great spot to stop and eat lunch while enjoying Upper Cramer Lake and Mt. Cramer.

IMG_1088.JPG
We decided to continue on and this is the view most of the way out.

IMG_1089.JPG
While hiking down the trail, this little grouse scared the ever living Hell Roaring Lake out of me. I was hiking with my head down looking at the trail just enjoying my hike, and all of a sudden this little lady came charging at me. I let out a nice scream (and maybe a little pee too). I was not expecting that! It was fun to laugh about and I had to take a picture. She hung around to make sure we left her turf.

IMG_1092.JPG
Later on just passed Elephants Perch we noticed some new huge boulders that recently smashed up the trail. You may remember the earthquakes of 2020. This is from a huge quake that's epicenter was pretty close by.

IMG_1093.JPG
Here's another boulder.

IMG_1095.JPG
And here's the path it carved out of the mountain. I can't imagine the violence this had smashing its way thru the forest.

IMG_1096.JPG
Another boulder, and my brother for some scale.

IMG_1099.JPG
there were dozens of boulders this size that smashed up the trail and the entire area. The forest service did do a good job cleaning it up and repairing the trail the best they could.

IMG_1100.JPG
Redfish Lake is finally in view.

IMG_1101.JPG
Here we are.

IMG_1103.JPG
Waited for the boat to come pick us up at Redfish Inlet and take us back to the madness that is Redfish Lake Lodge on a July weekend. We had a pretty good funky smell. Some looked at us strangely, others with jealousy of our trip we just finished.

IMG_1104.JPG

Our post trip meal was at Bridge Street Grill in Lower Stanley...it's pretty much the most amazing place on Earth!

That's our trip, feel free to comment or just admire our fun weekend loop in the Sawtooths.

Last edited:
Scared the "living Hell Roaring Lake out of me".... hahaha, really good. Dang grouses.
Normally it's just their late escapes when hiking solo that cause the heart to stop, not the charging protective kind. Although, have had a couple turkeys do that.

Really cool report. Thanks!

Scared the "living Hell Roaring Lake out of me".... hahaha, really good. Dang grouses.
Normally it's just their late escapes when hiking solo that cause the heart to stop, not the charging protective kind. Although, have had a couple turkeys do that.

Really cool report. Thanks!
I like playing the "Grouse Game" too keep myself entertained on trail. If a grouse gives me a heart attack, it gets a point. But if I see it first and avoid the scare, I get two points.

Why do I get twice the points? Because it's wearing camouflage and I'm wearing orange.

I like playing the "Grouse Game" too keep myself entertained on trail. If a grouse gives me a heart attack, it gets a point. But if I see it first and avoid the scare, I get two points.

Why do I get twice the points? Because it's wearing camouflage and I'm wearing orange.
Dangit! I often wear orange too... maybe I need to switch it up to a moose tird color to blend in.

Last edited:
I really like the shot looking back at Imogene Lake. Great report!

Great report, @Parma. What a great weekend! The pictures of the dislodged boulders were something to see.

As others have said, those spruce grouse can be a real heart burner.

It would have been cool and terrifying to see those boulders come down the mountain.

nice report, thanks for sharing.

A most excellent trip!

Looks like an amazing time and looks like you had a lot of fun :)

That grouse certainly does look puffed up. Good thing you escaped with your life haha

Looks like an amazing time and looks like you had a lot of fun :)

That grouse certainly does look puffed up. Good thing you escaped with your life haha
When it ran at me, she had her wings spread and making a funny noise. It worked!

Cool trip! I had a similar itinerary planned for early July 2019, but the amount of snow remaining on the passes made us uncomfortable. We ended up doing a "Y" shaped trip from Redfish Inlet to Saddleback Lakes for the first night, then on to Cramer Lakes for the second night. I fell in love with the Sawtooth range and cant wait to get back. I agree that Redfish Lodge is a zoo in July. Kind of a shock to the system after a few days in the backcountry. Thanks for sharing!