SAR Fees?

Well, if you live or spend money in Utah then you are already helping pay for the DPS chopper ops. Individual counties can't afford helicopters so the state handles that at the expense of all taxpayers. This is actually a good thing as it provides economies of scale and prevents duplication of service. I've had the chance to interview one of the pilots and those guys really are great at what they do. Flying a full helicopter at high elevation in the dark is dangerous work.

That's an aside from the primary topic of conversation obviously but seemed worth adding to the discussion.

Utah should have the same insurance card we have here in Colorado. Crap, 95% of the people who buy them would be tourists visiting Zion and whatnot, and they would never even be back to use it if needed.

IMO a state that bills itself as an outdoor mecca should cover the cost of any rescue. Basically, they are double dipping, they advertise to get people out here from all over, then try to pass on the rising costs of outdoor rescue to the same people they brought out. The alcohol laws already prevent TONS of people from visiting Utah, choosing instead to visit us here in Colorado and other nearby states that are more reasonable. Wait until word gets out that you can"t get a drink (obviously I know that's not the case, but most people I talk to in my travels back East and even a few in Europe belive that to be true) and if you get in a situation in the outdoors, it will cost you 5 grand. We would see even less tourist dollars in the economy.

I know for me, and the people who I check in with when I get back into cell coverage, the costs would prevent us from acting appropriatly. If someone's check in person waited one more day to call help because they didn't want to get a huge bill sent, that could mean somebody lives or dies. I wonder if they charge boaters who get into trouble and need help?

Nice, I have been waiting for something like this. It adds a nice piece of mind knowing I won't have a $100,000 SAR bill because I rolled an ankle or hurt my back.

In Idaho you can pay a lifetime fee for life flight helicopter rescue and transport. Then the helicopter service takes what the insurance pays.