San Rafael Reef between Iron Wash and Mormon Tanks

Udink

Still right here.
My last few trips to the San Rafael Reef were done with a particular destination in mind, but this time I just picked a canyon at random and hiked up it. I drove down after work on Friday and made a quick stop in Iron Wash. There's an old pioneer signature there that I wanted to see, and I found some other undated initials carved in the sandstone that looked pretty old. I also found a shallow cave with grinding marks and sharpening grooves, plus plenty of soot and old charcoal inside, but unfortunately no rock that I could see in the area. After leaving Iron Wash I drove a short distance and found a place to camp near the canyon that I wanted to hike up. I built a fire pit and got a fire going so I could cook some dinner, then set up my tent and relaxed around the fire and read a book. Watching the waning full moon rise over the La Sals was a treat.

Parked at the barricade in Iron Wash
IMG_3690.JPG

J.A. Watt signature
IMG_3693.JPG

Small cave in Iron Wash
IMG_3695.JPG

Grinding marks at the mouth of the cave
IMG_3700.JPG

Sharpening grooves
IMG_3703.JPG

View out of another cave in Iron Wash
IMG_3711.JPG

Getting a fire going
IMG_3719.JPG

Camp fire
IMG_3737.JPG

Tent and truck
IMG_3740.JPG

Moon rising over the La Sal Mountains
IMG_3746.JPG

My shadow in the moonlight
IMG_3761.JPG

I was up early on Saturday morning and started hiking at about 8:00AM. The lower part of the canyon was not terribly interesting, but I took it slow and kept an eye out for rock art, which I can't help but do in this area. :) Farther up the canyon there were some large pools of water, which my dog couldn't help but take a dip in. I came to a large pool that gets no direct sunlight this time of year and had some sand-covered ice in the bottom, and a large dryfall above it that looked impassible. I had to do a steep scramble around one side to get past it, and it took some effort to shove my dog up ahead of me. Just above the dryfall was a narrow side canyon full of water. If it had been dry, I would have loved exploring it. In the main canyon above the first big dryfall were several smaller ones that were impossible for me to climb, but again I found a way around them by scrambling out of the drainage. Not far after getting back into the main drainage was yet another dryfall that I simply couldn't get around--well, my dog couldn't get around it, so that was where I turned around and headed back down the canyon looking for another way up to the canyon rim.

Early morning at camp
IMG_3763.JPG

An old spur I found near camp
IMG_3769.JPG

Starting up the canyon
IMG_3774.JPG

A shallow cave with a few signs of ancient habitation
IMG_3794.JPG

Small arch in the canyon wall
IMG_3799.JPG

View up the canyon
IMG_3804.JPG

Torrey in a pool
IMG_3816.JPG

A large row of Fremont's Mahonia
IMG_3826.JPG

Just after scrambling around the first big dryfall
IMG_3837.JPG

Water in a narrow side canyon
IMG_3841.JPG

A series of small potholes that I went around
IMG_3846.JPG

Crazy concretions on the canyon wall
IMG_3850.JPG

Another dryfall that completely halted my progress
IMG_3854.JPG

This was as far as Torrey would go when trying to bypass the dryfall
IMG_3862.JPG

I backtracked more than half a mile before finding a spot to climb out of the canyon. On the way back down, though, I found an arrowhead that I'd walked right past without noticing earlier in the morning. After climbing out of the canyon, I dropped down into the next canyon to the north and started ascending it. Once I saw ahead that the canyon narrowed up and became choked with brush and trees, I started following the ramping sandstone wall on the north side that led to the canyon's rim. After scrambling up and down some sandstone fins and following some brush-choked cracks, I found myself overlooking the canyon I'd originally started hiking up, though I was about half a mile upstream from the dryfall that had stopped my progress earlier. I stopped there for lunch and scouted the canyon below me.

An arrowhead lying in the bottom of the canyon
IMG_3864.JPG

An adjacent canyon that I dropped into
IMG_3874.JPG

Lots of rockfall in this canyon
IMG_3884.JPG

Looking back at the ramp I used to hike out of the canyon to the rim
IMG_3887.JPG

View into the canyon where it narrowed up
IMG_3891.JPG

Descending a fin
IMG_3905.JPG

A crack that I hiked through
IMG_3909.JPG

Aiming for the gap in the center
IMG_3914.JPG

Bushwhacking ahead
IMG_3915.JPG

View from my lunch spot, looking down the first canyon I'd ascended
IMG_3923.JPG

View up the canyon
IMG_3924.JPG

After seeing what kind of country was ahead of me if I wanted to continue up the San Rafael Reef, I decided to call it a day. The route up to that point had been pretty convoluted, and it was only going to get worse if I kept ascending. I didn't want to follow the same route back, so I continued a little farther up the Reef before rounding a corner and descending back into the section of fins. I exited the Reef through the second canyon I'd ascended, then walked along a dirt road just over half a mile back to camp, where I packed things up and headed home.

I followed this ledge between cliffs to the point on the left
IMG_3932.JPG

Nice view into the upper canyon drainage
IMG_3939_stitch.jpg

View down my exit route
IMG_3961.JPG

Many more potholes on the descent
IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

Cutting across some fins
IMG_3982.JPG

Hiking up a fin
IMG_3984.JPG

The dirt road back to camp
IMG_3990.JPG

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/SanRafaelReefBetweenIronWashAndMormonTanks

Google map & KMZ:
http://g.co/maps/62s8b
http://udink.org/geo/SanRafaelReefBetweenIronWashAndMormonTanks.kmz

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

Very nice Dennis. You always find some of the coolest items (the spur, signatures, etc.) and you visit the coolest places out there that you won't necessarily find in a guidebook. Bravo.

So did this canyon even have a name? Where was it located along the reef? I'm guessing it's north of Temple wash near Farnsworth/Old Woman?

So did this canyon even have a name? Where was it located along the reef? I'm guessing it's north of Temple wash near Farnsworth/Old Woman?
Nope, it doesn't have a name that I'm aware of. Mostly just the canyons that cut fully through the Reef have names, but this one has its headwaters on top of the Reef instead of on the west side. This one's a bit north of Old Woman Wash, and just south of Iron Wash.

Sweet trip. Amazing what you find when you go someplace no one else really goes. That spur is awesome and always amazing to spot an arrowhead. Great stuff!

Looks like Torrey was having a good time. How was that pack he/she carried? Did you have dry items in there when he/she took a dip in the water?

Looks like Torrey was having a good time. How was that pack he/she carried? Did you have dry items in there when he/she took a dip in the water?
So far I like the pack a lot, but this was our first back country trip using it. Before this weekend, she'd only worn it on a few 2-mile long walks along dirt roads near town. It's the Mountainsmith dog pack, size small, that ibenick recommended in this thread. Each side had a 1/2-liter water bottle and a package of moist dog food, and even after repeated dips in the water, no moisture got inside (but she never went for a full swim, either). I checked, and a 1-liter Nalgene will fit in each side with room to spare for food or whatever else, but I think Torrey will need to work up to carrying that much weight.

I thought that looked familiar! Sweet dog pack, IMO.

So you just made me think. For people who have dogs that are always going for a swim, just store the dogfood INSIDE a couple of nalgene bottles. You'd know exactly how much to feed them by the measuring marks. Hmmm...

Very cool. Love the pics, especially that old spur.