San Rafael Reef above Spring Canyon

Udink

Still right here.
Late last year I got an e-mail from Listorama (Dave) asking if I'd be interested in a hike in the San Rafael Reef sometime in April or May. I'd met up with Dave once four years ago for a little hiking, and checking out the Reef with him sounded like fun. He got in touch again in mid-April and we made plans to meet last weekend. I drove down to our planned camp spot near Spring Canyon (that's the unofficial official name of the canyon) after work on Friday afternoon. I was there by 4:30 but hadn't planned on Dave arriving 'til around 5:00 or 6:00, so I thought I'd take a short hike up the canyon to the dryfall and pool. I only got a couple hundred yards from the truck when I turned around to take a photo and saw Dave near where I'd parked. I walked back and we decided on a spot to camp. It was a little windy so I put off setting up my tent until it was almost dark, but the wind never let up--it kept me from sleeping through the night, but by morning things were calm and perfect for hiking.

Friday night's camp near Spring Canyon
IMG_5027.JPG

Sunset on a cottonwood at camp
IMG_5028.JPG

The low sun reflecting off the San Rafael Reef
IMG_5031.JPG

My tent and Dave's minivan under the night sky
IMG_5052.JPG

We were awake by 7:00 on Saturday morning. We ate breakfast and I took down my camp, and we started hiking at 8:30. I had been twice to the point on top of the Reef to which Dave wanted to hike, once in 2004 and again in 2006. I still had my GPS tracklog from the 2006 hike, and I uploaded a few key waypoints into my GPS for this trip to help us find our way past the difficult-to-navigate sections in case Dave wanted to follow my route. We did just that, but there was one spot where we had to sit on a ledge and slide on our butts down to the bottom in order to get into the correct canyon. Dave wasn't comfortable doing it, but he did anyway with the caveat that we not return that way. I was all for that because I wanted to see some different terrain on the way down the Reef.

Camp at 7:00AM Saturday morning
IMG_5054.JPG

Spring Canyon
IMG_5057.JPG

View back toward camp after the start of the hike up the Reef
IMG_5061.JPG

View of the terrain ahead of us
IMG_5065.JPG

Spring Canyon
IMG_5068.JPG

Obligatory view south along the San Rafael Reef through the Squeeze
IMG_5075.JPG

Bouldery section in upper Spring Canyon
IMG_5078.JPG

Approaching the sketchy dropoff into the canyon
IMG_5086.JPG

Torrey doing what Torrey does
IMG_5089.JPG

After some steady climbing--some on broken terrain and some on enormous smooth slabs of sandstone--we reached a very pleasant valley formed around a large fault in the sandstone. I'd been there before but didn't remember it being this nice. We reached the edge of the San Rafael Reef, though there were cliffs separating us from a higher point on the Reef to the northeast. We broke for lunch in the valley, then lied down for a bit and I almost fell asleep. The cool breeze was offset by the occasional calm that let me absorb warmth from the sun. After a nice rest we separated and each explored on our own for a bit. Dave checked out the lower edge of the cliffs on the west side of the valley while I scrambled around both sides of the fault crack in the center of the valley trying to get a better view into a large canyon to the south. After meeting back up where we'd stopped for lunch, we headed back down the valley in search for a route to the higher point on the Reef to the northeast.

View down Spring Canyon
IMG_5094.JPG

Pothole and Dave
IMG_5101.JPG

Dave approaching the slabs
IMG_5102.JPG

Starting up the slabs
IMG_5112.JPG

Tiny pinkish wildflowers
IMG_5117.JPG

Yellow wildflowers
IMG_5118.JPG

Torrey
IMG_5122.JPG

Well up the San Rafael Reef
IMG_5125.JPG

More steep climbing
IMG_5127.JPG

View showing the angled uplift of the Reef
IMG_5135.JPG

Entering a very pleasant valley
IMG_5161.JPG

Faultline crack through the valley
IMG_5168.JPG

View through the crack into the Swell and toward I-70
IMG_5173.JPG

I-70 and the Black Dragon cutoff road
IMG_5179.JPG

Dave near--but not too near--the edge
IMG_5182.JPG

A sorry but interesting mushroom
IMG_5192.JPG

Texture on a boulder
IMG_5195.JPG

Torrey hovering over me while I tried to nap
IMG_5198.JPG

Torrey wishing she could follow me down the ledges
IMG_5210.JPG

Tiny arches
IMG_5211.JPG

We only backtracked less than a quarter-mile before finding an easy break in the cliffs to walk up and reach a higher point at the top of the Reef. We enjoyed the view from a slightly higher vantage point, then started our descent back to the vehicles. We didn't follow my GPS tracklog on the way down and ran into a couple of obstacles that required a little backtracking to get past. We got to within a quarter of a mile of the ledge that Dave didn't want to reascend and started following a route that Dave had discovered on previous trips. His route was less technical but more strenuous, requiring us to ascend and descend slopes across two canyons before being able to exit the Reef toward our vehicles. I enjoyed taking a different way out, but my body was starting to overheat a little bit with the added exertion. It was a relief when we could see our vehicles and knew it was an easy walk back to them. We said goodbye and I felt great as I started the drive home. We'd hiked 7.5 miles and gained/lost 1,600 feet of elevation between the vehicles and the top of the Reef (much more when you consider all the ups and downs along the way). During the drive back to Price, though, I got a migraine, probably from some slight heat exhaustion. When I got home I took some ibuprofen and went to bed at 8:00PM and slept for 12 hours. It was the first time in quite a while that I felt sore after a hike, but it was a good kind of sore.

View down the San Rafael Reef toward the San Rafael River and I-70
IMG_5231.JPG

Local high point on the Reef
IMG_5234.JPG

View northeast from the top of the Reef
IMG_5244.JPG

Motorcyclists heading down Black Dragon
IMG_5257.JPG

Small arches in a dark sandstone formation
IMG_5258.JPG

This rock reminded me of a formation I'd seen previously:
IMG_5273.JPG

Dave taking some shots on the hike down the Reef
IMG_5276.JPG

Torrey found one last small pool to take a dip in
IMG_5280.JPG

After hiking down the Reef, we had to hike up and back down a couple of times to get into a different canyon. This is one of the slabs we hiked up.
IMG_5285.JPG

View down upper Spring Canyon
IMG_5293.JPG

We followed this cliff until we could cut over to the right into the next canyon
IMG_5294.JPG

Inside a saddle leading to an adjacent canyon
IMG_5311.JPG

The final canyon route back to the vehicles
IMG_5317.JPG

Almost back to the vehicles
IMG_5335.JPG

Whipples Fishhook bloom
IMG_5338.JPG

Google Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://udink.org/geo/SanRafaelReefHikeWithListorama.kmz&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,86.572266&t=h&z=15

Google Earth .KMZ File:
http://udink.org/geo/SanRafaelReefHikeWithListorama.kmz

Picasa Photo Gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/SanRafaelReefHikeWithListorama

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg