San Rafael Fall 2015

Udink

Still right here.
After a quick two-day turnaround between camping trips, on Tuesday I was on my way south for the semi-annual San Rafael geocaching event near Temple Mountain. It was my first chance to utilize the hitch carrier for my motorcycle on the back of the camp trailer, and it was unnerving driving without being able to see the bike. I stopped a couple of times to check on the dirt bike, including a stop at the Iron Wash bridge on UT-24 to watch a nice flash flood that was likely the result of the storm I'd run between Woodside and Green River. My planned campsite was flooded with runoff so I set up a few hundred feet away at sundown.

Ready to roll out with the DR-Z250 on the camp trailer
20151020_161131.jpg

Iron Wash flash flood
20151020_174127.jpg

Flooded campsite
DSCF0644.JPG

Home for the next five nights
20151020_183656.jpg

On Wednesday morning I hiked with the dogs around the base of the San Rafael Reef south of South Temple Wash. I didn't find anything terribly interesting, though I did stop to check in on a metate that I'd discovered a year earlier and was pleased to find it still hidden where I'd left it. A short motorcycle ride that afternoon took me to an interesting prospect listed on the USGS topo map just a couple of miles from camp.

Torrey and Boulder during an easy hike on Wednesday
DSCF0670.JPG

Metate where I left it a year after I discovered it
DSCF0679.JPG

Ravens near camp
DSCF0681.JPG

Lunch
DSCF0684.JPG

Prospect listed on the USGS topo map
DSCF0685.JPG

Boulder and Torrey in the camp trailer
DSCF0692.JPG

Dinner
DSCF0700.JPG

Wednesday's sunset
DSCF0705.JPG

M-O-O-N, that spells moon
DSCF0710.JPG

I awoke to a thick layer of fog on Thursday. I postponed a planned hike until it cleared up a bit. I hiked to the top of the San Rafael Reef on the north side of South Temple Wash. On the way I found an arrowhead in a wash in almost the exact same spot I'd found one 3.5 years earlier. Just as I reached the high point I noticed two airplanes approaching from the east that buzzed me a few hundred feet overhead. In the afternoon I rode my motorcycle on the pavement to the Little Wild Horse Canyon trailhead. The dirt road beyond the trailhead was badly washed out and too muddy for a bike, so I did a slippy-slidey u-turn and headed back to camp. Ken and Jan arrived that afternoon and Terry and Karen showed up after dark. Some intense-looking clouds passed overhead in the evening without dropping much moisture, though Terry and fam drove through a bad storm in about the same place I had two days earlier.

Foggy Thursday morning
DSCF0736.JPG

Ooh, a pretty rock!
DSCF0742.JPG

Snow on the Henry Mountains
DSCF0746.JPG

Capitol Reef spotlighting with Boulder Mountain in the distance
DSCF0753.JPG

Temple Mountain peeking out over the Reef
DSCF0756.JPG

Torrey
DSCF0760.JPG

One of two planes that buzzed me
DSCF0770.JPG

Flat Top above South Temple Wash
DSCF0771.JPG

Wild Horse Butte
DSCF0788.JPG

Roll cloud looming above the San Rafael Reef
DSCF0800.JPG

Snow on Mt. Ellen
DSCF0808.JPG

Rainbow north of camp
DSCF0813.JPG

Some hippies walked into our camp on Friday morning and asked for help getting their car unstuck in North Temple Wash. Terry took his 4-wheeler there to pull them out while I rode my motorcycle and looked for some inscriptions in the narrow part of the canyon. After lunch I rode with Terry on the Orange and Green trails. It was my first experience riding desert singletrack. The trails were moderately challenging for me--the only difficult parts were (1) trying to keep up with Terry and (2) one ledgy dropoff on the Orange Trail that sketched me out and took me a couple of minutes to build up the nerve to make the drop. We rode around Temple Mountain and picked up a couple of geocaches on our way back to camp. Traci arrived with the kids that afternoon and I got quite a shock when I saw the Jeep pull up with Traci in the passenger seat. I couldn't see who was driving until the Jeep stopped and Michael stepped out of the driver's door! He's only 14 years old and already has the itch to learn to drive, so Traci let him drive on the short dirt road into camp. A few more people showed up that evening and the following morning, bringing our grand total to 13 people in attendance.

Friday at camp
DSCF0841.JPG

North Temple Wash
DSCF0843.JPG

Inscription in North Temple Wash: USGS
DSCF0848.JPG

Inscription in North Temple Wash: Warren Allred, Jan. 6, 1914
DSCF0854.JPG

Inscription in North Temple Wash: J.D. Gillies 10-16-1914
DSCF0863.JPG

Washed road into upper Farnsworth Canyon
DSCF0869.JPG

DR-Z250 on the Orange Trail
DSCF0870.JPG

Junction of Orange and Green trails
DSCF0873.JPG

Twin Knolls
DSCF0878.JPG

Trail 842
DSCF0880.JPG

Cows near Taylor Flat
DSCF0881.JPG

Awesome geocache container
DSCF0883.JPG

Temple Mountain
DSCF0888.JPG

Mine shaft at Temple Mountain
DSCF0893.JPG

Temple Mountain mining relics
DSCF0899.JPG

It was a laid-back day on Saturday. I drove solo to Molly's Castle to find a few geocaches while everyone else did their own thang. In the evening we had a wonderful potluck dinner, for which I grilled a couple racks of pork ribs that I'd slow-cooked in the oven at home before the trip. We did the usual blowing up of large cans of vegetables in the camp fire, and Chris and I pulled some shenanigans on a neighboring camp by walking in the dark through their loud bunch of young adults while trying not to be noticed.

Molly's Castle
DSCF0903.JPG

Molly's Castle
DSCF0911.JPG

Leaving Molly's Castle
DSCF0916.JPG

A high-stakes game of Skip-Bo
DSCF0918.JPG

Sweet peas in the fire
20151024_224347.jpg

Everyone boogied out on Sunday. We took the kids to a geocache in South Temple Wash before packing up camp and heading home. I'd been disappointed on Saturday when I realized I'd be going home the following day, but on Sunday I was actually ready for a shower and to sleep in my own bed.

Sunday's sunrise
DSCF0926.JPG

South Temple Wash
DSCF0928.JPG

Photo Gallery: San Rafael Fall 2015

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Cool you caught that flood. The reef appeared to have been bullseyed by that storm.

I like the shot of Temple Mountain. I think I'll have to get on top of it this winter.

Awesome. I'm away from Utah for the year and posts like this are killing me!