San Juan National Forest Closure

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but am not surprised. Starting tomorrow the San Juan National Forest is going into a Stage III closure. I'm glad I went there this weekend! Of course, we saw someone starting a fire during the Stage II ban...

SJNFBan2018.jpg

Bummer. I checked the forecast and it looks like some good moisture is going to be moving in soon, hopefully that helps the situation.

RIght now it looks like there will be moisture from the hurricane coming in on Sat and Sunday, but that's all. No monsoons yet. But closing the forest is a good decision, seeing how dry it is. This will affect a lot of recreationalists, but better that than fires. We're getting some of the Durango fire (416) smoke here in Glenwood Springs, though it's not bad yet. They're saying Colorado's going to burn up this summer and it looks like it's already starting with the 416, Burro, and fires near Parachute (now out) and Eagle, plus another started by a homeless guy smoking down by Durango, which is out. Everything around here is really dry, and the paper says the Roaring Fork RIver is running at 38% and expected to be at 28% soon. I go down to the river every day to walk my dogs and it looks like it does at the end of the summer.

Doesn't the CDT run thru this forest? Wondering how this will affect some of the hikers I follow on youtube.

Doesn't the CDT run thru this forest? Wondering how this will affect some of the hikers I follow on youtube.

Yes it does, and so does the Colorado Trail. I hiked part of the CDT in this area over the weekend and ran into a couple thru-hikers.

Saw earlier this week that they closed a lot of areas earlier this week in la plata and montezuma county, including sections of the colorado trail. Doesn't surprise me that they are closing all of it now, probably for the best.

Colorado:

Stage 1 fire restrictions will be expanded Friday morning to include the entire White River National Forest and Bureau of Land Management-administered lands in Summit, Eagle, and Pitkin Counties, and portions of Grand County adjacent to the Colorado River.

Fire restrictions are already in place for BLM lands in Garfield and Mesa counties, and on private lands in Garfield, Mesa, Eagle and Pitkin counties. The latest fire restrictions also include Trough Road southwest of Kremmling and the Dice Hill area south of Kremmling.

Colorado:

Stage 1 fire restrictions will be expanded Friday morning to include the entire White River National Forest and Bureau of Land Management-administered lands in Summit, Eagle, and Pitkin Counties, and portions of Grand County adjacent to the Colorado River.

Should really be Stage II, IMO...

If we don't get much rain before the 4th, I'm worried about the idiots that will still be using fireworks even during the ban...

Our politicians/land managers currently seem to be underestimating the situation. Even with rain, things will be bad, unless its torrential.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
S Conejos - South San Juan Wilderness Backpacking 2
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
Nick The San Juan, May 2018 On The Water 19
Dustin Gent San Juan Mountain backpacking/road questions General Discussion 3
andyjaggy San Juan Backpacking Trip Planning 3
IntrepidXJ The Lower San Juan River On The Water 8
IntrepidXJ A Drive Around the San Juan's Off Road 4
Howells Outdoors 3 Days on the San Juan On The Water 3
Howells Outdoors 5 Days on the San Juan On The Water 4
IntrepidXJ San Juan Canyon On The Water 0
IntrepidXJ San Juan Mountains to Montezuma Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Magic_Hour Stormy San Juan Range Wildflowers Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ The San Juan River On The Water 7
Aldaron San Juan Mountains, Colorado Off Road 8
IntrepidXJ Invite Long Shot: San Juan Overnighter Meet Up (Members Only) 32
IntrepidXJ Beating the Heat in the San Juan Mountains Off Road 2
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
D San Rafael Swell Recommendations Trip Planning 9
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J San Rafael Reef Wilderness. Rambling on the Reef March 30-31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
fossana San Rafael Swell MTB and salvaged packraft weekend Everything Else 13
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
J San Rafael Swell Wilderness Designations General Discussion 13
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
mikejones3 Day Trip up San Jacinto Hiking & Camping 0
Jackson Jurassic National Monument and San Rafael Swell Conservation Area General Discussion 9
TrektheWorld The San Rafael Sure is.....Swell Hiking & Camping 1
Jackson Return to the San Rafael River Gorge Backpacking 17
fiber Invite Late March 3-4 day San Rafael Swell Backpacking Loop Meet Up (Members Only) 1
RedRockRambler Greetings from a new noob in San Diego Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Devin Ashby Nate’s Canyon/ Spring Canyon San Rafael Swell Trip Planning 2
Udink Uncompahgre Peak and the San Juans Hiking & Camping 12
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
Jackson San Rafael River Backpacking 7
JoshuaDyal Best San Juans hike Trip Planning 0
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
Mike Jones San Jacinto 10,834ft Backpacking 11
Artemus Help Requested - Conserving the San Rafael Swell Wilderness - Interested? General Discussion 16
SwimsWithTrout Best time of year for San Rafael Swell/Cedar Mesa ? Trip Planning 4
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell: South Fork Eagle Canyon Off Road 2
Udink San Rafael Fall 2015 Hiking & Camping 4
Artemus Conserving the San Rafael Swell - Interested? General Discussion 13
IntrepidXJ San Luis Peak Hiking & Camping 5