San Juan Mountains, Colorado

Aldaron

I think I'm a few trip reports behind, but I'm going to go ahead and post the most recent pictures.

Over the long weekend of October 6, 2012, we headed out for a road trip of the Telluride/Silverton area of Colorado. After reading some TRs from IntrepidXJ I just wanted to get back in that area.

We had to stay in Green River on Friday night because every hotel in Grand Junction was booked...I think it was because of a bike race. When we got up Saturday, I decided to head across the La Sals rather than heading over to Grand Junction. It's always more pleasant to take the long, mountain drive than the interstate route. We eventually made it to Telluride, where we had lunch and wandered around town. I hadn't been to Telluride since we lived in Denver about 11 years ago. I debated driving along the road up to Imogene Pass, but I knew the road was a little rough, so we kept on driving down Hwy 145.

While most of the leaves had already fallen, there were still some good stands of aspen with good color. We checked out some side roads looking for some good colors.

P1030635.jpg

Then we drove over Ophir Pass to Hwy 550, but my wife gets scared easily on those roads, so I don't have any pictures. I was surprised by how small the pass was: you pretty much top out and then just drop back off.

We had planned to camp, but it was stinking cold, so we wimped out and spent the night in Silverton. The next day we planned to hike Highland Mary Lakes first thing in the morning, but, again, it was stinking cold, so we drove some more to let it warm up.

Andrews Lake was really pretty.

P1030642.jpg

P1030646.jpg

And we found some more color along the Hermosa Park Road.

P1030660.jpg

Then we headed back and hiked the Highland Mary Lakes Trail. The climb up was fairly steep, and the elevation topped out at just over 12,000 feet, but it was a great hike that was really nice at the top.

P1030679.jpg

P1030704.jpg

P1030719.jpg

P1030723.jpg

From there we headed out to stay in Ouray because it was stinking cold. The next day we headed back home, taking a side trip over Grand Mesa, because, like Telluride, I hadn't been up there in over 10 years. I really like the Mesa...it reminds me a lot of the mountains back home in Tennessee.

P1030734.jpg

P1030740.jpg

As always, a trip to Colorado reminds me how much I love Colorado. I'm going to have to find me a nice cabin out there someday.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I just told a friend the aspen picture you picked, nick, was my favorite one from the bunch, but he liked this one:

P1030733.jpg

You guys are ALL making me feel like a loser, though, and I'm dangerously close to splurging on a DSLR and learning how to use it.

I dig that one with all the color. For straight aspens, I like this shot best:

index.php

Backcountrypost can be a dangerous site to frequent if you're trying not to buy an expensive camera! :D

It's not the price that's killing me...it's the size and weight.

I dig that one with all the color. For straight aspens, I like this shot best:

index.php

I'm staring at your Aspen like it's a Bev Doolittle painting, waiting to see what's hidden in those tree trunks.

My wife wanted to turn that picture into a puzzle...I told her it could be a puzzle that we give to people we don't like for Christmas presents.

Reactions: Joe
Great, nick, now I have something new to research! Sony has some huge sensors on their NEX cameras...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ San Juan Mountains to Montezuma Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
IntrepidXJ Beating the Heat in the San Juan Mountains Off Road 2
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
S Conejos - South San Juan Wilderness Backpacking 2
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
Nick The San Juan, May 2018 On The Water 19
IntrepidXJ San Juan National Forest Closure General Discussion 32
Dustin Gent San Juan Mountain backpacking/road questions General Discussion 3
andyjaggy San Juan Backpacking Trip Planning 3
IntrepidXJ The Lower San Juan River On The Water 8
IntrepidXJ A Drive Around the San Juan's Off Road 4
Howells Outdoors 3 Days on the San Juan On The Water 3
Howells Outdoors 5 Days on the San Juan On The Water 4
IntrepidXJ San Juan Canyon On The Water 0
Magic_Hour Stormy San Juan Range Wildflowers Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ The San Juan River On The Water 7
IntrepidXJ Invite Long Shot: San Juan Overnighter Meet Up (Members Only) 32
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
D San Rafael Swell Recommendations Trip Planning 9
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J San Rafael Reef Wilderness. Rambling on the Reef March 30-31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
fossana San Rafael Swell MTB and salvaged packraft weekend Everything Else 13
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
J San Rafael Swell Wilderness Designations General Discussion 13
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
mikejones3 Day Trip up San Jacinto Hiking & Camping 0
Jackson Jurassic National Monument and San Rafael Swell Conservation Area General Discussion 9
TrektheWorld The San Rafael Sure is.....Swell Hiking & Camping 1
Jackson Return to the San Rafael River Gorge Backpacking 17
fiber Invite Late March 3-4 day San Rafael Swell Backpacking Loop Meet Up (Members Only) 1
RedRockRambler Greetings from a new noob in San Diego Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Devin Ashby Nate’s Canyon/ Spring Canyon San Rafael Swell Trip Planning 2
Udink Uncompahgre Peak and the San Juans Hiking & Camping 12
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
Jackson San Rafael River Backpacking 7
JoshuaDyal Best San Juans hike Trip Planning 0
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
Mike Jones San Jacinto 10,834ft Backpacking 11
Artemus Help Requested - Conserving the San Rafael Swell Wilderness - Interested? General Discussion 16
SwimsWithTrout Best time of year for San Rafael Swell/Cedar Mesa ? Trip Planning 4
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell: South Fork Eagle Canyon Off Road 2
Udink San Rafael Fall 2015 Hiking & Camping 4
Artemus Conserving the San Rafael Swell - Interested? General Discussion 13
IntrepidXJ San Luis Peak Hiking & Camping 5