San Juan mountains, Colorado

westy

It has been many years, 3 decades, since I'd been in the San Juan mountains. 2 decades since being in Colorado, period. It was wonderful to visit again! July was warm and dry. August wet and windy, which continued into September and became heavy frost and snow to make a warm and dry Colorado Plateau move very attractive, so there I head. But back to the San Juan mountains...

Just a few highlights.

IMG_20230724_140722205_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230813_112444706~2.jpg

IMG_20230813_093510796_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230818_131013270_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230906_125919852~2.jpg

IMG_20230908_121617413_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230908_151824288~2.jpg

IMG_20230914_090950319_HDR~2.jpg

We're thinking of putting a loop together out there next fall. We usually take our trip at end of August/early September, and usually for 7-10 days. Looks beautiful.

Drove through the San Juans earlier this year for the first time, need to go back and actually explore the place. Excellent pictures.

Nice photo of Chimney Rock. My family moved to the San Juans when I was 15 so I spent a good many summers climbing and packing in that country with friends and my brother until after I graduated college in Utah. Nowhere like it on Earth. Check out Jack Brauer photos if you want to get a taste of some of the backcountry - I believe he lives in Ouray.

Nice photo of Chimney Rock. My family moved to the San Juans when I was 15 so I spent a good many summers climbing and packing in that country with friends and my brother until after I graduated college in Utah. Nowhere like it on Earth. Check out Jack Brauer photos if you want to get a taste of some of the backcountry - I believe he lives in Ouray.

Just looked at a bunch of Brauer's beautiful photos - thanks for sharing the link for this wonderful eye candy. We might head to Colorado for next summer's trip and would probably go to the San Juans, maybe the Weminuche for unfinished business (2018 fires prevented us from doing the train/Elk Park/Needleton loop) or elsewhere. Great to hear that you've got so much experience in that area; if you're in the mood now or later, I'd love suggestions for a weeklong trip (nothing technical).

We're thinking of putting a loop together out there next fall. We usually take our trip at end of August/early September, and usually for 7-10 days. Looks beautiful.
Considering going back myself. Would need a shuttle, but starting from one of the forks of the cimarron, or big blue, and traversing the range staying high all the way down to Vallecito reservoir looks like a LOT of fun.

Considering going back myself. Would need a shuttle, but starting from one of the forks of the cimarron, or big blue, and traversing the range staying high all the way down to Vallecito reservoir looks like a LOT of fun.
Do you have a specific route in mind to get from the Uncompahgre Wilderness down to the Weminuche/CDT? Sounds intriguing but I don't know that area North of the Weminuche.

Beautiful photos, by the way! It makes me want to get back there ASAP!

TH to engineer/Denver/cinnamon pass.
Then..
Cinnamon pass to snare creek looks iffiest. After that CD to moon lake.
And moon lake to Vallecito looks iffy if wanting to stay high.
Otherwise topo/satt and eyes on in areas I visited look good.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ San Juan Mountains to Montezuma Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Aldaron San Juan Mountains, Colorado Off Road 8
IntrepidXJ Beating the Heat in the San Juan Mountains Off Road 2
BJett San Juan River - Sand Island to Clay Hills On The Water 0
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
S Conejos - South San Juan Wilderness Backpacking 2
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
Nick The San Juan, May 2018 On The Water 19
IntrepidXJ San Juan National Forest Closure General Discussion 32
Dustin Gent San Juan Mountain backpacking/road questions General Discussion 3
andyjaggy San Juan Backpacking Trip Planning 3
IntrepidXJ The Lower San Juan River On The Water 8
IntrepidXJ A Drive Around the San Juan's Off Road 4
Howells Outdoors 3 Days on the San Juan On The Water 3
Howells Outdoors 5 Days on the San Juan On The Water 4
IntrepidXJ San Juan Canyon On The Water 0
Magic_Hour Stormy San Juan Range Wildflowers Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ The San Juan River On The Water 7
IntrepidXJ Invite Long Shot: San Juan Overnighter Meet Up (Members Only) 32
Portplant65 Looking for multi-day recommendations for San Rafeal Swell Backpacking 2
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
D San Rafael Swell Recommendations Trip Planning 9
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J San Rafael Reef Wilderness. Rambling on the Reef March 30-31, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
fossana San Rafael Swell MTB and salvaged packraft weekend Everything Else 13
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
J San Rafael Swell Wilderness Designations General Discussion 13
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
mikejones3 Day Trip up San Jacinto Hiking & Camping 0
Jackson Jurassic National Monument and San Rafael Swell Conservation Area General Discussion 9
TrektheWorld The San Rafael Sure is.....Swell Hiking & Camping 1
Jackson Return to the San Rafael River Gorge Backpacking 17
fiber Invite Late March 3-4 day San Rafael Swell Backpacking Loop Meet Up (Members Only) 1
RedRockRambler Greetings from a new noob in San Diego Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Devin Ashby Nate’s Canyon/ Spring Canyon San Rafael Swell Trip Planning 2
Udink Uncompahgre Peak and the San Juans Hiking & Camping 12
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
Jackson San Rafael River Backpacking 7
JoshuaDyal Best San Juans hike Trip Planning 0
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
Mike Jones San Jacinto 10,834ft Backpacking 11
Artemus Help Requested - Conserving the San Rafael Swell Wilderness - Interested? General Discussion 16
SwimsWithTrout Best time of year for San Rafael Swell/Cedar Mesa ? Trip Planning 4
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell: South Fork Eagle Canyon Off Road 2
Udink San Rafael Fall 2015 Hiking & Camping 4