Samsung nx1 mirrorless

Duke

Mountain Carver
I have decided that it is time to upgrade cameras and had settled on a Canon 70d, partly because it was the only slr I could find with good follow focus for video. then the 7d mk ii came out and then I was wanting that instead. Now Samsung seems to have come out with the first mirrorless that seems to be top grade. I am really wanting one of these but want one of you to buy it first and then give a detailed review of what you think on here. It has several focus options which includes the follow focus (while shooting 4k I might add). Looks very good. Hurry and get one and tell me what you think.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photog...ting-beast-puts-mirrorless-competition-shame/

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/samsung-nx1/

Haha! No, you buy it first and then tell us! :) That does look interesting, but I'd be super skeptical about it being that great right from the start. Exciting to see the industry going that way though. Let us know when you buy it! ;)

I'm not sure how much weight I'd put in that review. It seems they just did a spec comparison and didn't actually test anything. Not saying it isn't accurate, but anyone can say this spec is better than that. The biggest thing that sticks out is how sure they are that more megapixels is much better. That is highly debatable.

Megapixel: Samsung NX1 features 28.2 megapixel sensors, on the other hand Canon EOS 7D Mark II it is limited to 20.2 megapixels, so resolution wise camera x is much better.

I'm not sure how much weight I'd put in that review. It seems they just did a spec comparison and didn't actually test anything. Not saying it isn't accurate, but anyone can say this spec is better than that. The biggest thing that sticks out is how sure they are that more megapixels is much better. That is highly debatable.

Thanks Nick and I'm not resting on it.....as previously stated.....I'm waiting on your personal review :sneaky:

I know you pros are talking about the NX1 that costs about a billion dollars. I"m hesitant to start new threads in the photography section since I'm a photography noob, so can I ask about another Samsung mirrorless... the NX Mini. I was thinking that a compact mirror-less like the EOS-M or the NX Mini would be the next logical step from my point and shoot. Any thoughts on those two models (EOS-M / NX Mini)? I'd be using it for hiking only. I'm stuck in that weird spot where photography isn't quite important enough for me to carry a full size DSLR but would still like to improve upon the picture quality of my point and shoot. I packed my wife's D3200 DSLR in my day pack and also tried carried it around my neck around the house and there's just no way I'm gonna lug something that size around with me hiking.

I can't comment on the mini as I hadn't heard of it until your post. However, I have heard nothing but good about the nx300. I was thinking of picking one of those up for just the reasons you mentioned.

One aspect very important to me is the ability to shoot RAW files. That may not be important to you. If you are just after a "standard" point n shoot and don't have particular specs you are trying for I dont think you can go wrong. Nearly everything on the market now puts out some good shots if you compose right, know the details about light, etc. If it is photo quality you are trying to upgrade then may I recommend that you buy Bryan Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure" and read it before dropping money on a new camera. I'll bet that improves your photography much more than a new camera will.

Re: the pro comment.....the only one that likes my images is me! I'm no pro.....I just like it very much. Don't worry about the pro part. I have posted some crappy, point n shoot, into the sun, etc, etc photos on here. No one judges unless you ask....and once or twice I did that too and got some great, constructive critiques that helped. This site is full of pro photogs (me not one of them)....but they don't look down on amateurs like me and you.

Back to the NX1

This is certainly one of the first and as far as I can tell is the only comparison posted as of yet:

http://www.digitalversus.com/can-yo...-production-model-s-sample-photos-n36183.html

Now, it is a "mystery quiz" and they haven't given the answer yet but someone on dpreview pointed out that they forgot to change the names in the ISO test. The first one is the NX1, the second one is the Nikon, and the 3rd doesn't have Sony in the name but since it is the only other camera then it is logical to conclude that camera 1 is the NX1, camera 2 is the FF Nikon, and 3 is the Sony. I guess we will have to see when they post the answer.