Salt Creek

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

TD

Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
Anyone know if beef basin road is passable or if anyone has been through the canyon? I have permits for next week.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
Trip Reports
Anyone know if beef basin road is passable or if anyone has been through the canyon? I have permits for next week.
I think the BLM office in Monticello would be the place to call.

Trip Reports
I think the BLM office in Monticello would be the place to call.
I think the Needles Visitor Center or Backcountry Office would be best since they are issuing permits to Salt Creek every day and should know if the trailhead is accessible or not.

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
Trip Reports
I think the Needles Visitor Center or Backcountry Office would be best since they are issuing permits to Salt Creek every day and should know if the trailhead is accessible or not.
Would they also know about Beef Basin?

Trip Reports
Would they also know about Beef Basin?
Probably since they usually know what condition the road through Bobbys Hole is in since they also issue permits to Elephant Hill, but since he is going to Salt Creek he only needs to get to the Cathedral Trailhead on the way to Beef Basin (which is about 1,000 feet lower than the highest part of the road).

TD

Trip Reports
Thread starter #6
Probably since they usually know what condition the road through Bobbys Hole is in since they also issue permits to Elephant Hill, but since he is going to Salt Creek he only needs to get to the Cathedral Trailhead on the way to Beef Basin (which is about 1,000 feet lower than the highest part of the road).
We havent had luck getting anyone to answer the backcountry office so may try Monticello BLM.
Heard there will be shuttle going out Saturday so will know more then.

Trip Reports
We havent had luck getting anyone to answer the backcountry office so may try Monticello BLM.
Have you tried the Visitor Center? Their hours are currently only from 9am until 1pm, and they are pretty busy during those times. (435) 259-4711

Geode

I was able to get through to the backcountry office last week (435-259-4351), so I'd say keep trying that too. I'll be in Salt Creek in a couple of weeks, but didn't ask about the roads (should have!). I called around Noon EST.

TD

Trip Reports
Thread starter #9
I was able to get through to the backcountry office last week (435-259-4351), so I'd say keep trying that too. I'll be in Salt Creek in a couple of weeks, but didn't ask about the roads (should have!). I called around Noon EST.
C

heard yesterday that Coyote Shuttle said the road was dry this past Saturday, so we are still moving forward for Thursday entry.

Geode

Oh cool, good to hear. I'll be using Coyote Shuttle too when we go, have a great time!

Trip Reports
We drove to Cathedral butte on Monday and again yesterday after finishing the hike to collect the car. Had no problems either day - the road was dry. Also lots of water in salt creek all the way to peekaboo so no problems there either. Beautiful and fascinating hike.