Salt Creek - All American Man

It's still labelled on USGS Topo maps.

True about the All American Man being pretty clear on Caltopo. I was fishing for what was identified as an uncensored, more complete Trip Report of that area and not just that one Picto.

From a planning standpoint, I've just started pulling in the various bits, and have some time to validate/refine. If any of you experienced people want to provide pointers based upon the Caltopo rough draft linked below, plz. send them my way. Many of the ruins marked on the map are simply guesses.

I'll dredge through Kelsey and other guidebooks in the comings months. I'm particularly interested in trying to find the Flying Carpet/Slanted Wall Panel.

I'm doing Salt Creek on the heels of a larger effort, so don't have a lot of time to wander this time around. If I had the time, I'd walk the various pockets and see what's what, as the exploration would be fun as some have suggested.

Thx.

Click here to view on CalTopo

a note for All American Man ............ there is a BLM sign book next to it, so it is not that big a secret, but ............. when I went there I decided no to sign it, so I went up get a close look at the pictograph and the ruins next to it before continuing towards Four Faces. I posted pics in Instagram and someone that works in the area replied to me that it was clearly written in the sign book that people are not allowed to go up to the pictograph and I was violating the rules (which how the hell do I know what the rules are).

a note for All American Man ............ there is a BLM sign book next to it, so it is not that big a secret, but ............. when I went there I decided no to sign it, so I went up get a close look at the pictograph and the ruins next to it before continuing towards Four Faces. I posted pics in Instagram and someone that works in the area replied to me that it was clearly written in the sign book that people are not allowed to go up to the pictograph and I was violating the rules (which how the hell do I know what the rules are).

Never heard that before and never saw or signed the log book either. Most people climb up for a closer look.

Never heard that before and never saw or signed the log book either. Most people climb up for a closer look.
yes, if you dont climb you will barely see the pictograph. Maybe it was an overzealous BLM employee.

This a place I will go to some day.
The last person I want to see would be an overzealous BLM employee.
Tough job, somebody has to do it I though.

Yep -- back in 2007 there was a notice at the register box on the log book and buried in the text in pamphlet as seen in a grab from my video below. The text says "do not climb into the alcove" and "do NOT enter cave area". I interpreted that to mean stop at the top of the climb. I really don't think it's acceptable to prohibit people from climbing up to the decent viewing spot if that is the intent of the NPS. Wish the warning would state "do not enter the ruin or touch the pictograph".

AAM_notice.jpg

AAM_notice2.jpg

Last edited:
Yep -- back in 2007 there was a notice at the register box on the log book and buried in the text in pamphlet as seen in a grab from my video below. The text says "do not climb into the alcove" and "do NOT enter cave area". I interpreted that to mean stop at the top of the climb. I really don't think it's acceptable to prohibit people from climbing up to the decent viewing spot if that is the intent of the NPS. Wish the warning would state "do not enter the ruin or touch the pictograph".

View attachment 70990

View attachment 70991
yes, no one should ever enter the ruins themselves. But I didnt see anything unstable about the area itself when I was there.