?'s about tents

Thanks again for the code @Bob, still working.

I ended up with the Copper Spur UL3.
I also bought a couple Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts for me and my little guy, it'll be a bit big for him now but time flies and he can take it with him on his own adventures when he is older.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and all the extra research on different setups. There sure is a lot of different styles for many different needs.

Thanks again for the code @Bob, still working.

I ended up with the Copper Spur UL3.
I also bought a couple Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts for me and my little guy, it'll be a bit big for him now but time flies and he can take it with him on his own adventures when he is older.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and all the extra research on different setups. There sure is a lot of different styles for many different needs.
There really are so many choices. I'd be interested to hear a review from you once you've used your new tent a few times.

We've been using the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 for a few years now, and while we are mostly happy with it, I've had a roaming eye for a bit. My few nitpicky issues with our BA are that the floor hasn't held up well (our bad for not buying/using a footprint), the door zippers stick constantly, the fabric is prone to tearing if handled at all roughly (ie, when trying to get in and out in a hurry during a storm), and I personally find that there is usually too much condensation. The main things I love about that tent are ease and speed of setup, and the light pack weight.

I picked up an REI quarter dome 3 plus footprint at an REI garage sale today, so it'll be interesting for me to compare the two tents directly. I definitely like the internal storage features of it (roof pocket, hang tabs, and wraparound mesh storage pocket) better than what our BA has.

Since we are talking about tents, can someone please explain to me what the merits of the fly+footprint only setup are? I get that it's lighter, but is it a way to drop weight and still stay dry? Would it keep you dry when raining? And if not, why would you set that up at all vs just sleeping out in the open?

Since we are talking about tents, can someone please explain to me what the merits of the fly+footprint only setup are? I get that it's lighter, but is it a way to drop weight and still stay dry? Would it keep you dry when raining? And if not, why would you set that up at all vs just sleeping out in the open?

I've never really heard of anyone doing it. It will keep you dry, you just won't have bug protection, and if that's okay, then there are better tents available (in my opinion) like this style: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys/mega-light-tent-BD8005070000ALL1.html

I have had a few solo nights in it in southern Utah. My son and I have practiced setting it up at home quite a few times so we can be ready just in case we are caught off guard by the weather and need to set up quick.

I did buy the footprint with it, so hopefully that will help. I have the same issue with the zipper, I've thought about buying some material to sew on to the flap to give it a little extra length so the zipper would not catch on it. I knew the material would be thin so I've tried to handle with care. If I remember right, when I weighed it, it came in at about 3lbs 10oz with stakes, without footprint.
I've not had any condensation problems yet, I did spend a night by panguitch lake with storms going around it but nothing on top. No experience in the rain yet.

So far I'm happy but it's new. I'm just glad to get out and explore again!

Edit: I just checked, with footprint and bags it's 4.5 lbs.

Last edited: